Not to be outdone by Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., DC Comics and Warner Bros. TV will produce a new TV series about the early years of pre-Commissioner James Gordon and the villains that made Gotham City famous. Gotham has been picked up by FOX; no word on the series' premiere date.

Fox Nabs Gotham City Origin Drama About Commissioner Gordon From Bruno Heller & Warner Bros. TV with Series Commitment

Not to be outdone by Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., DC Comics and Warner Bros. TV will produce a new TV series about the early years of pre-Commissioner James Gordon and the villains that made Gotham City famous. Gotham has been picked up by FOX; no word on the series' premiere date.

Fox Nabs Gotham City Origin Drama About Commissioner Gordon From Bruno Heller & Warner Bros. TV with Series Commitment

I wonder if the first episode will be Gordon investigating Bruce Wayne's parents murder.

I really don't like these shows that pretend not to be interested in the superhero part of the story and then they start to stripmine the superhero story to the point where they crap all over it. Smallville... not interested in Superman... but let's bring in Perry White, Lois Lane, Jimmy Olsen, Lex Luthor and everything that makes the Superman story Superman, except superman.

How long before we see Gordon fighting Joker, the Penguin, the Riddler and we see young Bruce putting on a black Turtle neck and a hood to do all the Batman things without being Batman. Blah!

Hollywood hates Superheroes... they just like the built in audience.

Hollywood hates Superheroes... they just like the built in audience.

Same for general SF and fantasy as well. I also think that Hollywood isn't a particular fan of comedy as well. In fact, Hollywood studio's hate anything that could be considered "risky"

If Hollywood had its way all we would get would be "gritty" drama's day in day out.

^^A Gotham without Batman is NYPD Blue without Denniz Franz, you mean?

I'm cauitiously optimistic regarding Gotham. I actually do not mind focusing on Gordon and his department. That could make for some good stories and I expect they weren't always turning to that Bat Signal to solve crimes.

But I also keep getting tricked by these shows. I watched the first two seasons of Smallville before it started to wear on me. I actually liked the first season, but the premise was executed better in Lowis and Clark, an older show where Clark was actually allowed to be Superman. If Gotham keeps Batman out for good and never alludes to him at all, then I'll be sad.

Edited by technoblue

Gotham Central had a good 3-year run in the comics. It could work.

But that was in continuity and the presence of Batman played a role in there. Here they are talking about a time before there were crazy people in costumes doing crime or stopping it. If it was a Lowis and Clark type of thing then I would be interested.

What the Marvel Shield series has going for it is that it is set in a world were there are tech crazy billionaires, giant green monsters, aliens and gods running around.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

They need to not cram every single member of Batman's Rogues Gallery in this either.

But still, it has my interest. I'll commit myself to 1/2 a season to see if I like it or not.

-b.

• 4 months later...

Anyone see this?

After experiencing cinematic, story-telling masterpieces like Nolan's Dark Knight movies, that arguably represent the epitome of the Batman story, you can't help but be completely under-whelmed by this uninspiring tale of empty characters and a plodding story that goes NOWHERE without the caped crusader. And on that note, what we have is a dull police/crime/drama story, as if we don't already have endless shows of that nature already on t.v.; but at least I can regard them as minutely interesting! I'd rather waste my time watching the completely bored, tired and lack-luster final seasons of the CSI Vegas and Miami series than spend another minute on this meaningless crime-drama with the Gotham nametag. Like someone else in this thread previously stated, Batman without Batman isn't the least bit enticing. Now..time to turn off the cable box and reach for one of the Dark Knight movies-ANY of them...

Unimpressed is as good a sentiment to echo as any.

As it is with most major TV or film offerings these days, the talent and production of the show is undeniable. It looks good, it sounds good and the acting is good. But scratch that thin surface and you'll find...

There just isn't anything interesting happening in this series. This is a typical TV police procedural in almost every way that counts except it's set in Gotham instead of New York. Other than the setting (and the weight of broader comic book mythos) what exactly is the catch supposed to be? What's the angle? Where's the hook? What is going to be dramatically explored in "Gotham" that isn't being covered in any one of a thousand other police/medical/legal/fireman dramas on television? And how will that ever be enough to overcome the absence of dramatic tension the very premise of the show demands, since we all know Bruce, Gordon, Oswald, Nygma have to survive any peril so they can eventually become Batman, Commissioner, Penguin and Riddler. Jada Pinkett-Smith's mob mother was the only interesting thing happening in the whole show.

Perhaps Bruno Heller feels his career needs to mark the notch of a successful TV show on his gun belt given his claim to fame is the cancelled (but triumphant) "Rome" TV series for HBO. So he agreed to "Gotham" as a safe bet. Post-pilot, I'm not seeing any indication this series is coloring outside the lines. If this show wasn't named "Gotham", I never would have even watched the pilot of a series this banal and pedestrian. I'll give it one or two more episodes, but I think I'm out of this one fast.

For the most part I agree with everyone's thoughts above, and while I had it on TV last night (versus watching Monday Night Football I might add) it barely held my attention.

And with every other procedural police drama on TV this one has it's hook/angle and it's that it's a comic book property. If it weren't "Gotham" it'd have some other theme.

But I honestly think it was more to do with the show coming out too soon post Nolan's Dark Knight Trilogy as you can't help but compare Gotham to that.

Oh, and Bruce's girly scream...ugh.

-b.

I didn't find the pilot that bad.

Of course, it helped that I was watching the sucker through the DVR.

My biggest concern is with the overall viability of the series. If Gordon cleans up Gotham too well, why the hell would Batman ever come about. But put too many set-backs in Gordon's way, and the show gets pretty depressing.

The best things going for the series right now are the organized crime side of things and possibly Detective Bullock.

So, we'll see what happens.

Lastly, as a parent of toddlers/preschoolers who is forced to watch a bunch of kids shows, it's kind of a trip to see one of the guys from the Fresh Beat Band in this show. If the rumors are true and he turns out to be

the Joker

, I'll never be able to watch the Fresh Beat Band without getting my brain twisted into a ton of knots.

For the most part I agree with everyone's thoughts above, and while I had it on TV last night (versus watching Monday Night Football I might add) it barely held my attention.

Oh, and Bruce's girly scream...ugh.

-b.

Good it was not just me who did not think Bruce would scream like that!

I wonder if there will be any crossovers with Arrow, which I'm quite enjoying.

Grahamn

Doubtful, 2 different networks have to fight over legality issues even if it's owned by DC and WB. Arrow and the Flash are easier cause they're done by similar production teams on the same network. Even though so far from what I watched there's been no knowledge of WHEN in Gotham this takes place.