1/60 YF-19 Arm Weapon

Maiden Japan

Awesome!!! If you plan on making this for the arcadia version as well, I definitely want one for that too.

(Edit) On a sidenote, in looking at that sequence from Plus, there seems to be a lot of anime magic in there. A lot of weaponry poping out of spaces too small for it to fit into.

Edited by Jasonc

Day 2 of the project. I guess almost finish on designing. Now I'm going to apply primer and final cleaning up.

Then I'm going to lay these up on clay and start making a mold.

As this accessory kit will only going to fit on Yamato's 1/60 version, all I need to change is a design on the attchment adapter for fitting on upcoming Arcadia version. There shouldn't be any size issue.

52wj.jpg

f5n6.jpg

9y23.jpg

w82p.jpg

tk0b.jpg

Edited by Maiden Japan

Awesome!!! If you plan on making this for the arcadia version as well, I definitely want one for that too.

(Edit) On a sidenote, in looking at that sequence from Plus, there seems to be a lot of anime magic in there. A lot of weaponry poping out of spaces too small for it to fit into.

Likely one of the reasons Arcadia (and Yamato before them) didn't bother. On the other hand, if those cover plates were hollowed out Maiden Japan could get the look of the top and side forearm cannons to look more recessed/better. The missiles would just have to be re-sized down in order to keep the look the same top to side to bottom. But, yeah, pretty much impossible without severely undersizing/oversizing open/closed. It amuses me how many people were complaining Arcadia didn't make one of these for the new 19 and actually claimed you could make one that would transform and stay on in fighter mode as well.

From the screens in the show it looks like those covers all stay as one single piece. Looking at other lineart it appears the angled parts at the front actually swivel up as well, that would make the whole thing more likely to work, but you'd still have to fudge dimensions. The size of the missiles on the bottom are not uniform however. The center one is obviously smaller than the rest, except in the animation it appears the bottom two are slightly smaller.

Edited by Mommar

Thanks guys. I love to see others take on this design as well. It was quite difficult challenge because there are not any clear line art from the style guide, so you have to figure out size dementions and come up with inside detail that you don't see from the screen.

Yeah, that's one of the main things that have been holding me up.

Another issue--from the vidcaps, the weapons seem to be stored inside the forearm instead of the covers, as the covers seem too flat to fully cover the missiles and cannons. And even then there doesn't seem to be enough room in the forearms for all of them. Anime magic at work again. I initially wanted to make an actual converting weapon, but it doesn't seem possible without sacrificing the proportions of the "closed mode", making it look way too bloated.

I had this on my mind as a 3D printed project to do after a series of other projects, but I wanted the pieces to work as one unit, i.e. the hatches actually open to reveal te weapon system. That said, Mommar hit the nail on the head with the initial design flaws of doing a real one. The missiles, cannon, and whatever is on top, would probably have to be undersized, and the covers done significantly larger, to make it work properly. The engineering would be simple enough, but I don't know how it'd translate aesthetically. Maybe after I get the new version, I'll give it a try. The engineering side in my interest has been tipped off.

I definitely want this set though, pending price.

Edited by Jasonc

I see many of other guys had this idea one way or the other. I thought of making it with fully functional hinges and slide open and stuff, but I knew it will be too complicated and not going to stay sturdy. So I decided to design in solid pieces and choose to build either open or close mode.

Right now I'm in process of mold making and casting. Color sample will be posted soon, and will announce the price also for those interested.

I think for a "perfect transformation" the top cannons would actually be the easiest to implement. The bottom missiles maybe. That cannon on the side of the arm though... It would just have to be severely undersized. Though I suppose if you had an attachment like what Maiden has here you could make the missiles and the side cannon actually partially recess into that connector piece so there would be less to cover... even still you're not shaving much off and things would have to be smaller. Then again worrying about keeping the proportions from that bit of animation wouldn't make much sense anyway. Look how HUGE the uni-boob is in that sequence! There was no attempt at proportion there.

Edited by Mommar

I see many of other guys had this idea one way or the other. I thought of making it with fully functional hinges and slide open and stuff, but I knew it will be too complicated and not going to stay sturdy. So I decided to design in solid pieces and choose to build either open or close mode.

Right now I'm in process of mold making and casting. Color sample will be posted soon, and will announce the price also for those interested.

I like what you've done with it, and it's probably the easiest, and best looking way to get this done. In a hobby where aesthetics count A LOT, this is the fix. Great job.

As for the weapon piece in the storyline, I don't think this as a piece intended to fly around in fighter. I think it was just some weapon that was a battroid/Gerwalk only attachment, designed for special ops that required it.

I'm in too, I mean this thing obliterated a Destroid monster in one shot.... One shot.

You mentioned that the clip could be revised to accommodate the new Arcadia one, will you surely be making one of those clips? I would hate to be stuck only using it on the Yamato 19 as I leave those in fighter mode due to the battroid proportions looking funny to me. I would be willing to pay more for a pre painted version of this as well.

I want two, one for each arm. Then I can loud out the V2 with missiles, etc... and have a super heavily armed Gerwalk.

You want for both arms ?! That would be sick! For that case I have to design a separate adapter clip for left arm.

But then it won't able to hold the shield though, if that's okay.

Edited by Maiden Japan