EXO

1 hour ago, TangledThorns said:

It's been a ATTACK ON TITAN Christmas for me. My wife got me the #6 Colossus edition and a one year subscription to Crunchyroll to watch the first half of the final season.

I finished both and can't wait for the final Colossus edition and the last half of the final season.

That being said I'm a huge Macross and Space Battleship Yamato fan but IMHO Attack on Titan is the best story in anime and manga that I ever experienced. If you disagree then let me know what is more epic that I can watch it on Crunchyroll 😁

"Jojo's Bizarre Adventure" is many times more epic than AoT m, and don't get me wrong  I do enjoy AoT. I'd also place "Golden Kamuy" higher.

I really couldn’t get into Joao that much. It seemed more absurd than epic. Attack on Titan is a tough one to beat nowadays though. There are other shows that I love, but they’re mostly older stuff that may not interest the newer viewers and none of those had that end of every episode wtf reaction 

11 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

I'm a huge Macross and Space Battleship Yamato fan but IMHO Attack on Titan is the best story in anime and manga that I ever experienced. If you disagree then let me know what is more epic

Given that Macross and Yamato are both epic space opera, I heartily recommend Legend of Galactic Heroes.  I don't know if it's available on Crunchyroll or not, but it's the best story (which is to say, the most intelligent) you'll find in anime, if not all of science-fiction. :good:

6 hours ago, tekering said:

Given that Macross and Yamato are both epic space opera, I heartily recommend Legend of Galactic Heroes.  I don't know if it's available on Crunchyroll or not, but it's the best story (which is to say, the most intelligent) you'll find in anime, if not all of science-fiction. :good:

Crunchyroll only has Legend of Galactic Heroes: Die Neue These.  That seems to be the only LoGH title the major streaming services have.

• 1 month later...

OK. this final Attack on Titan season is a BEAST :hi:While I try to avoid the specifics I read the manga's ending isn't well liked so I can probably will expect the same for the anime but I will make my own opinion when that happens.

That being said AoT is the best anime ever IMHO. Yes, I gave Legend of Galactic Heroes a try and it is good but doesn't enthrall me like AoT does.

4 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

While I try to avoid the specifics I read the manga's ending isn't well liked so I can probably will expect the same for the anime [...]

Yeah, the Attack on Titan TV anime has been following the original manga quite closely.  

It seems likely that the TV anime will retain the original manga's extremely disappointing anticlimax of an ending, so bracing yourself for that is probably wise.

Without spoilers, all I can really say is that the ending was a failed Author's Saving Throw that tried to address the criticism of the series for glorifying violent nationalism and thinly disguised antisemitism in a very halfhearted way and and give the final villian an unconvincing last-second redemption.  In short, it's a mess.

(All told, the way the final story arc built up there was never going to be a satisfying ending but watching it just sort of stumble to a halt before faceplanting into the grave is a bit disappointing as well if you don't set it to Yakity Sax.)

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/5/2022 at 5:08 PM, Seto Kaiba said:

(All told, the way the final story arc built up there was never going to be a satisfying ending but watching it just sort of stumble to a halt before faceplanting into the grave is a bit disappointing as well if you don't set it to Yakity Sax.)

How about this as an ending scene: the planet, being totally destroyed, now circles the sun as a cloud of relic-strewn debris in space, to the tune of aforementioned Yakety Sax.

344102553_AttackonTitanending.jpg.9d3b3be24e2007db0ebecb3bc846dd72.jpg

And some music for it:

Edited by pengbuzz

4 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

How about this as an ending scene: the planet, being totally destroyed, now circles the sun as a cloud of relic-strewn debris in space, to the tune of aforementioned Yakety Sax.

Nah.  Attack on Titan needed an ending that brought actual closure to the story.

Instead, there's a 30-gambit pileup as the different flavors of genocidal fascist in the story turn on each other that is almost immediately capped by...

Spoiler

... Eren using the power of the Founding Titan to launch an attempted genocide of literally everyone else on the planet.

But the author still wants Eren to be sympathetic, and thus tries to excuse him becoming a Complete Monster by revealing...

Spoiler

... that he was dissociating and daydreaming while he was busy viciously murdering more than three-quarters of the world's population.

We're apparently supposed to be sad for him when Mikasa and co. finally catch up to him and she...

Spoiler

... beheads him in order to stop the Rumbling.

And, of course, the aftermath of it all proves that nobody in the story learned a goddamn thing...

Spoiler

... because within three years of the Rumbling, the Eldians on Paradise have gone full f*cking Nazi under the rule of the "Jaegerist" military junta and are in the midst of yet another massive military buildup.  Ostensibly to resist any military reprisals against them for Eren's massacre of 80% of the human race, but having seen how they behave there's a good chance they'll lose the plot VERY quickly and get back to either murdering each other or trying to ethnically cleanse the rest of the world again.

The ending doesn't offer any real closure for any of the characters, it doesn't really do anything to resolve any of the mysteries surrounding the Titans themselves or the ontological nonsense surrounding their connections to the Eldian royal family, and it absolutely doesn't offer any hope for the future.  The last chapter all but directly states it's all going to keep happening over and over again...

Spoiler

... as a child implied to be one of Mikasa's descendants finds the tree where Eren's head was buried, which has turned into a dead ringer for the tree where Ymir gained the power of the Titans in the distant past.

Basically, the story doesn't so much end as it does just drunkenly lurch to a halt and the aftermath leaves only the uncomfortable realization that the closest Attack on Titan has to a character who isn't running on black-and-also-black morality is...

Spoiler

... Zeke, whose goal was to prevent the Rumbling and free the rest of the world from the threat of the Titans wielded by Eldia and Marley by using Ymir to forcibly deactivate the power of the Titans and sterilize the Eldian population so no future Titan shifters could be created.

And that's completely horrible too, when the distance between your protagonist and final antagonist is simply a matter of disagreeing...

Spoiler

... about which ethnicities are more deserving of genocide.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 9 months later...
3 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

Why do so many hate its ending??

There are a multitude of reasons, depending on the reader... but most of them revolve around the final story arc just being a bit of a mess in general being all kinds of unsatisfying with its rushed and inconsistent pacing, the extended divergence to attempt to justify Eren's campaign of global genocide, the often problematic and ill-defined motivations of both Eren and Ymir, the unresolved implication that Ymir is the true greater scope villain, the many forced-feeling epiphanies about man's inhumanity to man, the excessive use of New Powers as the Plot Demands, the attempt to depict Eren's death as sad, and the conclusion being Eldia remaining a fascist ethnostate under Jaegerist rule and an ongoing threat to the rest of humanity while the state of Eren's grave implies that the Titans will return in the near future to attempt to finish what Eren started.

All that and they never did get around to actually explaining the Titans themselves... the whole ontological mystery might as well just be "it's magic, I ain't gotta explain sh*t", which is unsatisfying to say the least.

9 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

There are a multitude of reasons, depending on the reader... but most of them revolve around the final story arc just being a bit of a mess in general being all kinds of unsatisfying with its rushed and inconsistent pacing, the extended divergence to attempt to justify Eren's campaign of global genocide, the often problematic and ill-defined motivations of both Eren and Ymir, the unresolved implication that Ymir is the true greater scope villain, the many forced-feeling epiphanies about man's inhumanity to man, the excessive use of New Powers as the Plot Demands, the attempt to depict Eren's death as sad, and the conclusion being Eldia remaining a fascist ethnostate under Jaegerist rule and an ongoing threat to the rest of humanity while the state of Eren's grave implies that the Titans will return in the near future to attempt to finish what Eren started.

All that and they never did get around to actually explaining the Titans themselves... the whole ontological mystery might as well just be "it's magic, I ain't gotta explain sh*t", which is unsatisfying to say the least.

Most stories, especially the more popular ones, is difficult to conclude to avoid sequelitus.

Attack on Titan is a wild AF story but I never expected logical explanations for everything in it, especially in regards to the "science" of the titans themselves. But I can understand people losing their minds over certain aspects of it all but in the end its a fantasy.

Expecting a bad ending that wasn't there was a heckuva surprise for me tho, lol.

That being said, Attack on Titan is my favorite anime series of all time. Hope that doesn't get me banned from a MACROSS forum 🤣

8 minutes ago, TangledThorns said:

Most stories, especially the more popular ones, is difficult to conclude to avoid sequelitus.

True that, some authors have gone to pretty extreme lengths to get out of their own work... like Tite Kubo spending the entirety of the final two arcs of Bleach essentially burning his own story down by openly mocking the audience and killing as many characters as he could.

Attack on Titan is a wild AF story but I never expected logical explanations for everything in it, especially in regards to the "science" of the titans themselves. But I can understand people losing their minds over certain aspects of it all but in the end its a fantasy.

Considering how much in-story time is spent on analyzing the Titans and trying to figure out why they didn't make scientific sense, IMO it's not entirely unreasonable that a lot of fans are upset they never got ANY real explanation.  It was THE mystery for much of the first half, even moreso than "what's in the basement?".

That being said, Attack on Titan is my favorite anime series of all time. Hope that doesn't get me banned from a MACROSS forum 🤣

I do worry a bit about die-hard AoT fans though... not just because it's so bleak and replete with total bastards, but because the second half is all kinds of worrying for ideological reasons. 

On 7/1/2023 at 6:45 PM, TangledThorns said:

It’s definitely my favorite of any this century. Even when I’m not too into the episode, they end it in a gut wrenching have to see where this crazy crap goes kinda way.

12 minutes ago, pengbuzz said:

Explanation for the Titans:

Hide contents

Inflation

Basically, that’s a very close explanation of what they are, just maybe not how they came to be. Then again having the basic non scientist explain humanity to an alien might have the same problems 

Well, the AoT anime finale could be a good way to improve on the manga which I heard may actually happen. Either way, I enjoyed the ride!!

On a side note I re-watched the series dubbed in english on Crunchyroll and its way better than I expected. Keeps my eyes on the gorgeous anime action instead of the subtitled text at the bottom of the screen. 

I didn't mind the ending, I get the hate though. I also think a lot of hate came from the two additional pages that got added after the final issue came out, that really rubbed people the wrong way. Either way, I'm in, I've enjoyed the series overall, the anime has been fantastic, and I too am wondering what they will change for the ending. 

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

EXCITED but SAD its coming to an end. My favorite anime series.

It’s definitely the best of modern anime. I do have to say that even though it has to end, I’m glad it will. Most longform anime usually just ends up tiring and I’m ready for the final season of the final season to finally happen so I can finally finish the show 

• 1 month later...
44 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

Final Trailer.

Special Countdown Movie.

Is this really THE Final season/movie? I swear, I've rewatched the whole thing, all seasons, 3 times the last 3 years thinking I was gonna watch the finale... only to have to wait a whole year for the next installment/cliffhanger episode/movie every single time. 

3 hours ago, m0n5t3r said:

Is this really THE Final season/movie? I swear, I've rewatched the whole thing, all seasons, 3 times the last 3 years thinking I was gonna watch the finale... only to have to wait a whole year for the next installment/cliffhanger episode/movie every single time. 

LOL, IKR! But yes, its the last episode. Then no more AoT till they make the Hollywood live action film, whenever that is.

3 hours ago, Tking22 said:

Hyped, loved this series from the beginning, ready to see it end, and I'm interested in seeing if they make any changes from the manga. 

Yeah, the last 5 minutes will be very interesting. However I doubt it'll change much from the manga as the whole anime series followed it closely.