EXO

While the manga is not done, it’s not going to be one of those neverending deals. There’s still almost 9 months to go till the new season comes out and as it stands they have more than enough material to do a 2 cour second season.

So i think what we could see is the manga ending within 2 years or so, and the second season followed by a split 13 episode cour six months or a year afterwards.

They were really slow on capatilizing on AoT's success. I can't believe it's taken this long for the second season to come out.

My thoughts exactly. It could have backfired on them if the next big thing had come out in the meantime. You have to strike while the iron is hot.

I still think they made it just it in time. I hope the manga can soon reach it's end arc so that they can finish together.

• 3 months later...

Hmm, what are the spoilers?

You can actually get a better summary by searching the net or even read the chapter, it is pretty much stands on it own.

Here is the current top comment at Mangastream for this chapter from Disqus user Martin Anders

Let's see if I get the course of events right.:

1. The Eldian were an ethnic group of people.

2. About 1860-1870 years ago, one of them - Ymir Fritz - obtained the titan's power and became the first titan-shifter. Counting from current time, not from when Grisha wrote in his diary or when his father told the story.

3. Assumption: Fritz held all possible special titan-powers. Being colossal, hardening, creating titans, controlling titans, calling titans, agility. Additionally, she had the power to alter the memories of any and all Eldian.

4. After her death, she divided her "soul" into 9 titans. I'm assuming it means that she created 9 titan-shifters. I don't know if each one received just 1 power to begin with or if each one had a mix of powers. The the "original" power - to control titans and memory wipe all the Eldians remained with the one chosen as the new "king".

5. Assumptions: Only Eldians could be turned into titans or titan-shifters. Also, the King could only memory-wipe the Eldians. To establish their authority, Eldians started to eliminate other races who were immune from mind-wipes as well as breeding with them to make sure every human in the world would be susceptible to the King's power.

6. There were problems among the 8 titan-shifters, but the king's power kept them in check.

7. Over time, they developed a way to "share" titan abilities. That is, you could make 1 serum to give you hardening abilities. But other abilities, like the Coordinate, weren't shared.

8. In time of 145th king - about 100 years - Marley incited a civil war, The King and his subjects retreated to the island of Paradis. A branch of royal family - capable of inheriting King's power - remained on the mainland.

9. Most of the people on Paradis were Eldians, whom the King could memory-wipe and control. Which means, most of them were also capable of being turned into titans. Some of them, from other ethnic groups/races, were immune to this. They became the noble families. Some Asians who were immune also moved with them as well as the Ackermans.

10. The 145th King changed his name from Fritz to Reiss and came to be regarded as the "First King" on the island. He installed a puppet ruler by the name of Fritz so that if any enemies come looking for his power, they'd be thrown off the scent.

11. Marley retained control of the other 7 titans. Of those, they had the abilities to harden, turn colossus, create titans, control titans and maybe others. They adopted a policy of discrimination against Eldians and punished the dissenters by using the titan power to turn them into mindless titans and sending them to the island.

12. Some 60 years ago, an Eldian named Ymir was sent to Paradis and turned into a titan.

13. Grisha's story takes place. He is sent to the island and turned into a mindless titan. Assuming that's where the story goes.

14. Marley enacts the plan. Sends Zeke and others to the island. They establish a "village" on the island, outside the walls and start planning their attack.

15. One of the shifters from Zeke's group is eaten by Ymir, who turns human again. Later, another shifter is eaten by Grisha. Soon after, Grisha is found dazed and confused outside the walls and brought in. He starts a new family inside.

16. And the rest of the history is known.

Interesting conclusions:

A. Even though Grisha might've given up on his Eldian restoration dream, he still wanted the Reiss family to fight the Marley.

B. There was some talk about Levi or Mikasa getting the titan serum. But if they don't have the Eldian gene (which they might, assuming interracial marriage in the last 100 years), then maybe they wouldn't have turned at all.

C. The so called "First King" was actually the 145th king and his "will" has stopped every generation from fighting back. I'm guessing that he realized that the Eldian were evil for all the ethnic cleansing - much like Grisha's father - and that they deserved to be locked away behind the walls. He wanted them to survive in that state. He made the threat of colossal titans destroying everything to keep the Marley away and to keep his power out of their hands, but he never had any intention of following through. His descendants, who got his memories and feelings, felt the same way and did nothing.

Did I miss anything?

Edited by chyll2

You can actually get a better summary by searching the net or even read the chapter, it is pretty much stands on it own.

Here is the current top comment at Mangastream for this chapter from Disqus user Martin Anders

2. About 1860-1870 years ago, one of them - Ymir Fritz - obtained the titan's power and became the first titan-shifter. Counting from current time, not from when Grisha wrote in his diary or when his father told the story.

3. Assumption: Fritz held all possible special titan-powers. Being colossal, hardening, creating titans, controlling titans, calling titans, agility. Additionally, she had the power to alter the memories of any and all Eldian.

4. After her death, she divided her "soul" into 9 titans. I'm assuming it means that she created 9 titan-shifters. I don't know if each one received just 1 power to begin with or if each one had a mix of powers. The the "original" power - to control titans and memory wipe all the Eldians remained with the one chosen as the new "king".

5. Assumptions: Only Eldians could be turned into titans or titan-shifters. Also, the King could only memory-wipe the Eldians. To establish their authority, Eldians started to eliminate other races who were immune from mind-wipes as well as breeding with them to make sure every human in the world would be susceptible to the King's power.

6. There were problems among the 8 titan-shifters, but the king's power kept them in check.

7. Over time, they developed a way to "share" titan abilities. That is, you could make 1 serum to give you hardening abilities. But other abilities, like the Coordinate, weren't shared.

8. In time of 145th king - about 100 years - Marley incited a civil war, The King and his subjects retreated to the island of Paradis. A branch of royal family - capable of inheriting King's power - remained on the mainland.

9. Most of the people on Paradis were Eldians, whom the King could memory-wipe and control. Which means, most of them were also capable of being turned into titans. Some of them, from other ethnic groups/races, were immune to this. They became the noble families. Some Asians who were immune also moved with them as well as the Ackermans.

10. The 145th King changed his name from Fritz to Reiss and came to be regarded as the "First King" on the island. He installed a puppet ruler by the name of Fritz so that if any enemies come looking for his power, they'd be thrown off the scent.

11. Marley retained control of the other 7 titans. Of those, they had the abilities to harden, turn colossus, create titans, control titans and maybe others. They adopted a policy of discrimination against Eldians and punished the dissenters by using the titan power to turn them into mindless titans and sending them to the island.

12. Some 60 years ago, an Eldian named Ymir was sent to Paradis and turned into a titan.

13. Grisha's story takes place. He is sent to the island and turned into a mindless titan. Assuming that's where the story goes.

14. Marley enacts the plan. Sends Zeke and others to the island. They establish a "village" on the island, outside the walls and start planning their attack.

15. One of the shifters from Zeke's group is eaten by Ymir, who turns human again. Later, another shifter is eaten by Grisha. Soon after, Grisha is found dazed and confused outside the walls and brought in. He starts a new family inside.

Interesting conclusions:

A. Even though Grisha might've given up on his Eldian restoration dream, he still wanted the Reiss family to fight the Marley.

B. There was some talk about Levi or Mikasa getting the titan serum. But if they don't have the Eldian gene (which they might, assuming interracial marriage in the last 100 years), then maybe they wouldn't have turned at all.

C. The so called "First King" was actually the 145th king and his "will" has stopped every generation from fighting back. I'm guessing that he realized that the Eldian were evil for all the ethnic cleansing - much like Grisha's father - and that they deserved to be locked away behind the walls. He wanted them to survive in that state. He made the threat of colossal titans destroying everything to keep the Marley away and to keep his power out of their hands, but he never had any intention of following through. His descendants, who got his memories and feelings, felt the same way and did nothing.

Did I miss anything?

Yeesh, that spoiler made me go cross eyed :wacko:

Interesting conclusions:

Did I miss anything?

Damn, I was hoping this would all turn out to be a prequal to to Nausicaa...

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

First episode of the second season starts right were it left off at the end of S1 and wastes no time in getting into action mode. Some nasty gory scenes too. Attack on Titan is back big time!

Didn't like the OP as much this time though. Too much of a rehash. And if you have NOT read the manga, do yourself a favor and avoid the ED. It's so spoilerific that I have to ask myself what the shows director was thinking.

I was just talking about the still frame thing earlier. Didn't notice any and found it to be an improvement. It's strange, but they didn't bug me much possibly due to seeing it as a norm for decades of anime. Still a definite improvement and hopefully they keep it up.

20 hours ago, Big s said:

I was just talking about the still frame thing earlier. Didn't notice any and found it to be an improvement. It's strange, but they didn't bug me much possibly due to seeing it as a norm for decades of anime. Still a definite improvement and hopefully they keep it up.

The way WIT uses still frames is one of the worst I've seen. Kabaneri did it a few times and it was awful to look at, this neon green lighting with speed lines and zombies slowing dropping down, WTF is this? Usually a decent shortcut to anime would be to pan across some pretty scenery and have the characters talk over it.  But WIT just has the characters talking in a motionless scene that has filters and crap over it.

Edited by SuperHobo

• 1 year later...
5 hours ago, Gerli said:

This is the guy that directed the IT remake right? I like that. Also, it really can't get much worse then the two Toho films, those were terribad, some cool effects and occasional action scenes aside.

27 minutes ago, Tking22 said:

This is the guy that directed the IT remake right? I like that. Also, it really can't get much worse then the two Toho films, those were terribad, some cool effects and occasional action scenes aside.

Yeah it was bad, but to quote a friend:

"It had the best love story, between Henge and her rocket launcher."

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, TangledThorns said:

Wow! No idea whats going on but the animation looks amazing! I can't think of anything else that I'm more excited for this year!!

Agreed. I wish the the new studio good luck and bring SNK to a wonderful closure. The manga is really close to being done and if they time it just right the anime could have the same ending as the manga. It's been a hell of a ride with SNK and I really hope the ending sticks the landing. 

I stopped paying attention around the point they made it to the cellar and they started talking about the mainland and the old king making theIr  group live on the island.  If it’s the final season I might go read up on the manga again.  

16 hours ago, Dangard Ace said:

I stopped paying attention around the point they made it to the cellar and they started talking about the mainland and the old king making theIr  group live on the island.  If it’s the final season I might go read up on the manga again.  

Things got all sorts of crazy, in amazing ways, after that point.

• 10 months later...

Well the manga is finished and in my opinion it's a pretty mediocre finale for what is one of the great manga/anime of our time. Never been too crazy about the story

Spoiler

after the timeskip in chapter 90, but the last 15 chapters were pretty poor IMO. They had a lot of vague/incomplete plot points that were never properly explained and did their MC's dirty by having them act in a way going against their character. And as usual, using time travel as a a plot point can give more problems than solutions

Edited by Marzan

• 8 months later...

It's been a ATTACK ON TITAN Christmas for me. My wife got me the #6 Colossus edition and a one year subscription to Crunchyroll to watch the first half of the final season.

I finished both and can't wait for the final Colossus edition and the last half of the final season.

That being said I'm a huge Macross and Space Battleship Yamato fan but IMHO Attack on Titan is the best story in anime and manga that I ever experienced. If you disagree then let me know what is more epic that I can watch it on Crunchyroll 😁

Edited by TangledThorns