EXO

• 2 months later...
Guest davidwhangchoi

Thanks! That's a perfect Christmas gift for someone on my list.

good timing as they're back to almost full price now.

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Are you referring to the second compendium? If so, I agree! I can't wait for the next season too which I suspect will be the last.

Refering to chapter 76 (one can read it on the Crunchyroll manga app).

I don't think next season will be the last. The manga is still ongoing and plenty of story there to tell.

• 1 month later...

Refering to chapter 76 (one can read it on the Crunchyroll manga app).

I don't think next season will be the last. The manga is still ongoing and plenty of story there to tell.

I don't mind if the story stretches on for another season or so, but only if it doesn't start meandering in an attempt to squeeze more money out of the series.

It really depends on the manga. The manga is a monthly publication that manages to progress the plot while also opening more plotlines that all need their own progression. The author has done a strange job of moving the story while also constantly opening up more of the story to explore. Every question that gets answered causes us to ask more questions, that sort of thing. There's awhile yet before the manga will get through all of its major plotlines, and it has yet to devolve into cash cowing in itself. (Which a lot of shounen manga do on their own, before their anime can reach their first filler arc)

Now, the rest of the franchise, they're milking it for what it's worth. Who can blame them?

It really depends on the manga. The manga is a monthly publication that manages to progress the plot while also opening more plotlines that all need their own progression. The author has done a strange job of moving the story while also constantly opening up more of the story to explore. Every question that gets answered causes us to ask more questions, that sort of thing. There's awhile yet before the manga will get through all of its major plotlines, and it has yet to devolve into cash cowing in itself. (Which a lot of shounen manga do on their own, before their anime can reach their first filler arc)

Now, the rest of the franchise, they're milking it for what it's worth. Who can blame them?

True. Frankly, It's nice to know that the author is at least legitimately expanding the plot lines with actual "meat" in them instead of just phoning it in.

Ah, this franchise. I only got into it with the official blu-ray releases this past year in the U.S.. I had seen some images of this show on the internet but never really paid it much attention. I saw the blu-ray and did a rare impulse buy and hoped it turned out well. It turned out to be a great show, very satisfied with it so far.

The setting was okay but the thing I felt the anime conveyed extremely well was the "feel" of the situation that the characters found themselves in. In anime, there is no shortage of shows where characters are off'ed. Attack on Titan is not anymore different in that regard. What the show did best was give the viewer the sense of desperation, loss. Characters have to fling themselves at danger and none are completely safe. There have been some very gut-wrenching events. I can't recall any other anime that I've viewed giving that same sense of desperation.

As for the source, the original artist, I actually had been catching up with the manga as best I could. His artwork is honestly on the very rough side but his story is top notch. The guy is a master in twisting that dagger into you :lol:

For the anime side of the franchise, I'm just disappointed how slowly they've pushed this. My viewing of anime has gone down considerably in recent years, but I'm glad I was able to catch this franchise.

Edited by Warmaker

The worst part about the anime is, it ends right when the manga gets good. I can only surmise this was deliberate. I can think of a few places the writers might pick for a season 2 finale, but it's going to be all the more painful to wait for season 3 after that. Especially because they can't make it too quickly, since the manga moves so slowly. I wonder if Isayama knows Ryuta Amazune- he's really playing a sadistic game with us, but never quite so much we drop the safe word and put a stop to all this.

If I were the consortium with the anime rights I really wouldn't wait much longer to start with season 2. While it remains as popular as ever, you gotta strike when the iron is hot and consumer taste can change more rapidly than one can imagine.

The worst part about the anime is, it ends right when the manga gets good. I can only surmise this was deliberate. I can think of a few places the writers might pick for a season 2 finale, but it's going to be all the more painful to wait for season 3 after that. Especially because they can't make it too quickly, since the manga moves so slowly. I wonder if Isayama knows Ryuta Amazune- he's really playing a sadistic game with us, but never quite so much we drop the safe word and put a stop to all this.

Well, it's always good to end a season with a cliffhanger to keep the audience interested. I wonder if the 3rd season's delay is to get more people to buy the manga. Honestly, I'd read the manga if the artwork weren't so..."minimalist." I actually tried reading from where the anime left off, but after a few pages, I just gave up.

If I were the consortium with the anime rights I really wouldn't wait much longer to start with season 2. While it remains as popular as ever, you gotta strike when the iron is hot and consumer taste can change more rapidly than one can imagine.

Agreed.

The thing is, they won't even have to wait for the next big thing to overtake Shingeki no Kyojin's popularity. I lost interest in Lost (no pun intended) after the 3rd season as the series began to drag on, offering an ever-expanding cast and meandering from one back story to the next. The wait between seasons doesn't help at all. While I'm still intrigued by Shingeki no Kyojin's story, my patience won't last forever.

Well, it's always good to end a season with a cliffhanger to keep the audience interested. I wonder if the 3rd season's delay is to get more people to buy the manga. Honestly, I'd read the manga if the artwork weren't so..."minimalist." I actually tried reading from where the anime left off, but after a few pages, I just gave up.

You should try from the beginning. It's so, so worth it.

That's subjective. The story is definitely worth following though. The anime is slightly out of order, which works too, but it also skips a lot of character development that makes certain spoilers from the anime make more sense than they do without that context. And it only gets more intense as the manga progresses. The stakes keep finding a way to get higher and higher and higher, and Isayama manages to progress the story without making anything happen. It's a constant building tension, and when it releases, it's anybody's game. Every question that gets answered raises four more, and everything is up for speculation. And Hanji is even more gender ambiguous!

That's subjective. The story is definitely worth following though. The anime is slightly out of order, which works too, but it also skips a lot of character development that makes certain spoilers from the anime make more sense than they do without that context. And it only gets more intense as the manga progresses. The stakes keep finding a way to get higher and higher and higher, and Isayama manages to progress the story without making anything happen. It's a constant building tension, and when it releases, it's anybody's game. Every question that gets answered raises four more, and everything is up for speculation. And Hanji is even more gender ambiguous!

Well, that's more than enough reasons to give the manga a second look.

BTW, how's Hanji gender ambiguous? She's always seemed like a typical obsessed female scientist, as far as I know. The only one that ever got me wondering was Armin.

I'll give it another try.

BTW, has Isayama improved his drawing skills at all, after all this time?

To me, his artwork is still very rough on the eyes :D

But the story is top notch with some great characters. If it wasn't for that, I would have ditched the manga long ago.

Well, that's more than enough reasons to give the manga a second look.

BTW, how's Hanji gender ambiguous? She's always seemed like a typical obsessed female scientist, as far as I know. The only one that ever got me wondering was Armin.

Hanji, who is portrayed with a more feminine aspect in the anime, is much more ambiguous in the manga. In fact, Hanji is never once referred to by a gendered pronoun in the manga. (And has a flatter chest)

With that said, it's my opinion that Hanji is best girl, and even canon can't take that away from me.

Hanji, who is portrayed with a more feminine aspect in the anime, is much more ambiguous in the manga. In fact, Hanji is never once referred to by a gendered pronoun in the manga. (And has a flatter chest)

With that said, it's my opinion that Hanji is best girl, and even canon can't take that away from me.

I agree. With my first impression of her being from the anime with a feminine voice and all, I just can't see Hanji as anything other than a girl. A male Hanji would be like, I dunno, a metrosexual Professor Hojo (FFVII) or something.

To me, his artwork is still very rough on the eyes :D

But the story is top notch with some great characters. If it wasn't for that, I would have ditched the manga long ago.

Well, what the franchise being as popular as it is, I guess he couldn't be bothered to improve his drawing skills.

The art style is distinctive. It's worth noting that Isayama wasn't a writer or an artist before starting Shingeki No Kyojin. I think the art style, while not itself visually appealing, lends itself to the story in a meaningful way. Nothing about any of this is pretty, and the art is no exception.

To be fair, for someone who hasn't drawn professionally (not even as a hobby?) before his manga debut, he's done pretty well.

Speaking of his origins, I remember reading somewhere that he got the idea for the story after an incident at a cafe where he worked. If I'm not mistaken, a really large foreigner who didn't speak Japanese physically threatened him or something, and he got the idea of an impossibly strong force that you can neither communicate with or reason with. Is this a true story or just a rumor that some of his fans made up?

To be fair, for someone who hasn't drawn professionally (not even as a hobby?) before his manga debut, he's done pretty well.

Speaking of his origins, I remember reading somewhere that he got the idea for the story after an incident at a cafe where he worked. If I'm not mistaken, a really large foreigner who didn't speak Japanese physically threatened him or something, and he got the idea of an impossibly strong force that you can neither communicate with or reason with. Is this a true story or just a rumor that some of his fans made up?

Wonder if I have a case for royalties?

The version I heard was, he worked at a net cafe and was confronted by a very drunk Japanese man. The man, purportedly, was in such shambles as to look grotesque, and was incapable of coherent speech or understanding. Seeing this man-shaped creature, according to what I believe was an actual interview with Isayama, inspired him to write a story about his childhood in an area surrounded by mountains, where the impossible boundary wasn't a simple mountain, but a race of unspeaking giants whose constant hunger keeps people trapped in a veritable cage.

Wonder if I have a case for royalties?

The odds can't be any worse than that Russian guy who wanted to sue Kojima over the MGS theme song. :p

The version I heard was, he worked at a net cafe and was confronted by a very drunk Japanese man. The man, purportedly, was in such shambles as to look grotesque, and was incapable of coherent speech or understanding. Seeing this man-shaped creature, according to what I believe was an actual interview with Isayama, inspired him to write a story about his childhood in an area surrounded by mountains, where the impossible boundary wasn't a simple mountain, but a race of unspeaking giants whose constant hunger keeps people trapped in a veritable cage.

Honestly, I find this version somewhat more believable. The "gaijin" version seems a little on the fantastical side.

• 4 months later...

Has anyone else watcehd the live-action version yet? Apologies if there is, the Search function is NOT my friend, and didn't find a thread on the topic,

So, I watched it last night, or at least tried to watch it and I have to say for me that this anime did not translate well to live action. I realize that Japanese film productions often have budgetary constraints, unlike their Hollywood counterparts, but this was just really hard to watch. I couldn't get through the live-action Kenshin without gagging, I didn't do so well with the live action Otoko no Yamato well as live action Uchu Senkan Yamato (though both Yamato films had a few moments I liked) either so maybe this sort of thing just isn't for me?

I'm not hating on the manga or the anime, I actually did watch the anime on Netflix, but found that I lost interest somewhere along the line, and though I finished watching it, not a lot of it was very memorable for me.

Anyone else feel the same way?

I love the anime and I also enjoyed the Kenshin anime and live action film. I haven't seen this live action film yet, but from my experience Asian films are usually far better if the don't rely on cgi. Death note live action was tough for me to get through, although my daughter loved it.

I had to throw in an edit because I do like the Finalfantasy films and those are all cgi, but it must be mixed media that bugs me like live action with cgi or anime cgi .

Edited by Big s