So I have been a faithful customer since 2007. Spent thousands of dollars on plastic. But it seems the business has gone to the shits. I mean I missed the payment by accident you know those random paypal freezes you cant access crap! and no matter how many times you call its pointless because you have a human parrot repeating script without valid answers and holding your bank account hostage,so HLJ just goes and cancels all my account and pre-orders that went along with it. Including some hard to get valks. Now we discussed it changed my email account to gmail since the app for yahoo sucks and everything fixed. I recently spent up to 350 bucks. Had a nice RIobot on pre-order.

So I was away on business, with little to no time to access my emails. When I get back I find that I have a notice. I quickly go to pay and whamo, Account deleted along with the all important pre-orders. I think these people are on crack. It wasnt always like that. I mean the guy responsible for gunpla parts is a bit dickish, but oh well i got my replacement parts someplace else. Im pretty loyal. I mean I can stick with a particular vendor for years even if the prices are high, when I get to know them I like dealing with them and a trust is established. But HLJ just seems to have become an expensive and dickish place to shop. IS that anyway to treat a long time customer that shelled out for plastic toys. Today was the last draw. I mean I was already upset that they would ship plastic toys in gigantic boxes with HLJ toys plastered all over the box, you know to let customs know to charge me up to 40% tax on the item. I wrote to the bald &^$@ and about my concern. You know I mentioned it might be cheaper not to pay for machines or time to paint a logo on a box that just goes into the bin. Using that ink is bad for the environment. He brushed me off faster than a flee on a dog. I even offered assistance during their earthquake and participated in donating to the relief effort. Sent an email of concern to their staff. ETC. I guess gone are the days of friendly first name basis customers. Now we are all just numbers. Yes I am bitter because I had one RIOBOT on pre-order now its gone. Nevermind the time I purchased several valks when they went on sale and bingo! I get an email a day later oh sorry your valk orders are 0 because they were sold out.

Well Im done. Sent a NICE FU laced letter,

So anyone know a good place to shop for toys that are friendly and not so dickish and reliable

Funny than I find this

eware. Anyone ordering from HLJ should familiarize themselves with HLJ's shipping policies as they are very unforgiving. I put in 2 separate orders for 2 different Gundam kits and used SAL shipping for each individual order to avoid EMS. The next morning it shows that the two orders have been combined into a single shipment with the shipping method changed to EMS (more expensive). Mind you, they didn't even notify me of the change. Apparently they have a policy where any orders made within a couple hours of each other are combined if you use the "Ship Now" option. I admit it was my mistake for not reading their policies beforehand (To be fair, it was under the "Help" section... didn't think I needed help) Okay, cool. Lets just send an email to customer service and get things straightened out. Boy was I wrong. Customer service couldn't have been more useless. They responded to my email 3.5 days later saying they couldn't change my order because it was already shipping. Well of course, if it takes them that long to read an email, whats the point of even trying to rectify an order mistake before they ship it out. Even worse is I have no idea how much they charged me because they didn't notify me of any changes to shipping.

Whelp, apparently they can do this because that's what it says in their "Terms and Conditions". So read that before you order to save yourself the trouble and headache.

To be honest, just stay away from Hobby Link Japan and stick with Amiami or Hobby Search. Amiami has much better customer service (they respond to your emails much faster and don't threaten to blackmail you), have better prices and are much more flexible with orders."

blank.gifreport?

Is this review? blank.gif Helpful blank.gifCool facebook_16.pngShare

no_avatar.png

ac11217

blankstar.gif1/5

blank.gif posted Apr-30-2013

"I have been a customer of HLJ since forever. By that I mean way before they introduced their private warehouse (PW) option. I think here is where the problem lies. Don't get me wrong, I think PW sounds great on paper but in practice it left a lot to be desired. I have bought large items from HLJ before and they arrived in mint condition and I was one happy customer, but with the new PW, upon my request to ship, I was told that there was not a big enough box to ship the piece that I just bought. Now here is the interesting thing, if you go on youtube and look for a review of the Trumpeter 1/32 F-117 kit, you can find a hobbyist reviewing the same kit who also bought his from HLJ! He is located somewhere in the US but he was lucky enough to get that limited edition shipping box. Ok, fine I will just have to be patient...so in the meantime, I bought another kit and requested it to be shipped along with my F-117. After this got dragged on for two months, I finally received the F-117 but without the second kit in it. After explaining my case to Corky Visminas, he offered a very unsympathetic choice of either a 85% refund or he can ship the item after I pay for the shipment. I understand this is their policy but the choice is clear: to lose 15% and not get anything and they get to sell the model again or to pay 15% more and get the model so that at least I can commemorate my own folly of buying more from HLJ? I picked the latter. After another week and a half of waiting, I received my trophy. In conclusion, I think HLJ has a lot to offer in terms of products, but it was not a pleasant experience. The PW policy is flawed due to their own internal inadequacies. At the least it can benefit by being more transparent to its customers. No one likes to be taken for a fool, especially a paying customer. As for me, you can say that HLJ has lost a long time customer. "

icon-edit.png This review was modified by ac11217 on April 30 2013 08:51:09 PM

blank.gifreport?

Is this review? blank.gif Helpful blank.gifCool facebook_16.pngShare

no_avatar.png

stephenw01

blankstar.gif1/5

blank.gif posted Mar-29-2013

"http://postimage.org/gallery/5po24dao/

I've ordered four products from Hobby Link Japan after being very cautious about them, out of the four products I got from them two were missing pieces(SAL shipping) and damaged(EMS shipping). I complained how the base was missing and the package that holds it was SEALED, they replied within two-three days for that one. About a week later I got the damaged package; which I paid more to ship via EMS. The moment I took it out of the shipping box I noticed INSTANTLY that it was going to be damaged; it's hands were above it's head and scrunched in a corner it couldn't fit in unless forced. Are you telling me that they couldn't see that was a damaged kit!? I saw it INSTANTLY, but enough about what I saw here is the part about their customer service which I thought was pretty good. I took pictures to prove the item was damaged; fingers were bent beyond belief. So then I wrote my email telling them that my model came in terrible condition and that this is ridiculous, I ordered four items and two were damaged or missing pieces so basically a 50% chance to have something wrong. Till this day I'm still waiting for a reply;10 days. I was going to order a lot of gundams from them but I canceled the order but here's the funny part they replied within two days to cancel the order. So they asked me if I want store credit or want it on my card, I said on my card of course but I added to the email "Why are you guys ignoring my email about my damaged model? It's been 9 days since I sent that email" now it's been 1 day and they haven't confirmed that they credited me my money to my card and the gundam is still in my orders. Guys please believe my words I don't want this to happen to anyone else stay clear of Hobby Link Japan, it takes a lot of crap to happen to me before I go to a site and write a review; my first time actually. If you want proof regarding this review feel free to look at the videos I made and pictures I took, also this isn't a way for me to get views just take a look if you don't believe me like they say actions speak louder than words. Stay safe friends, be very cautious!

The problem you'll find is that there isn't a single store people will recommend where you won't be able to find similar complaints. Shopping internationally for toys is not as easy as you'd hope it to be given the seemingly high margins. When you think about it though, certain aspects of running these stores (like preorders and private warehouses) would be a pain in the arse for most shops. Anyway, these days I just get toys wherever I can... might be HLJ, Angolz, anime-export, hobby search, amiami, or even Nippon-yasan although i'm not sure I've actually bought anything yet from NY.

To be honest, just stay away from Hobby Link Japan and stick with Amiami or Hobby Search. Amiami has much better customer service (they respond to your emails much faster and don't threaten to blackmail you), have better prices and are much more flexible with orders."

HA_HA_HA_OH_WOW.jpg

The problem you'll find is that there isn't a single store people will recommend where you won't be able to find similar complaints. Shopping internationally for toys is not as easy as you'd hope it to be given the seemingly high margins. When you think about it though, certain aspects of running these stores (like preorders and private warehouses) would be a pain in the arse for most shops. Anyway, these days I just get toys wherever I can... might be HLJ, Angolz, anime-export, hobby search, amiami, or even Nippon-yasan although i'm not sure I've actually bought anything yet from NY.

Well that sucks. But I dont find that with Automaton Toys. The guy is great. Never a problem. GIves you notice when he is going to ship. Asks you if you want to ship multiple items in one shipment to make it cheaper... so there are companies that are pretty good at what they do.

What Jenus said, plus this belong in the sales section somewhere.

I've never personally had a problem with any major vendor, but I've heard plenty of complaints against Amiami, Anime Export, Angolz and, yeah, HLJ in particular. Hobby Search* and HK Collectibles tend to get the best press.

* Hobby Search actually sent me out a replacement Renewal VF-25F piece from their own reserve stock, including EMS postage, at their own expense. :wub:

What Jenus said, plus this belong in the sales section somewhere.

I've never personally had a problem with any major vendor, but I've heard plenty of complaints against Amiami, Anime Export, Angolz and, yeah, HLJ in particular. Hobby Search* and HK Collectibles tend to get the best press.

* Hobby Search actually sent me out a replacement Renewal VF-25F piece from their own reserve stock, including EMS postage, at their own expense. :wub:

I could not find the proper place to put the thread and put HLJ on notice but sure

Just ordered the Riobot from AMIAMI. Funny they have it in stock and HLJ doesnt. Crosses fingers

Guest davidwhangchoi

I could not find the proper place to put the thread and put HLJ on notice but sure

hlj has a facebook page and reads the comments posted there.

How long it was between them asking for payment and canceling your account? I've received a payment request, followed by a reminder 5-7 days later and up to 14 days later I get a final warning for payment with a threat that my order would be canceled. I've never gone beyond that stage but it looks like they give you at least two weeks to pay.

I've had mostly good experiences with HLJ. My only complaint was the one time where I accidentally let one item sit in my PW for over 60 days. They sent me a notice and invoice that the kit was automatically shipped and to pay for shipping. I asked them to cancel the shipment and I would combine a few orders together but they refused as it was already shipped... so I finally paid after a few days and low and behold the item was waiting for my payment the whole time. I accept it was my fault since its part of the T&C for using the PW option. I mostly buy stuff when they are on sale so I guess my view point is different.

Sounds to me that the catalyst to your clusterfrakk was paypal freezing your account from the beginning that led to HLJ flagging your accounts. I did received once an email by HLJ when linking my credit card that due to the increase amount of fraud they have taken some "precautionary measures" that were annoying.

Sorry to hear your predicaments, my go to stores for plastic are Hobby Link Japan and HKCollectibles, after that it depends if the store has what I need and the price is right.

SAL shipping is always a mess because it takes so long, no tracking and something always happened. I rarely hear stories of SAL shipment that never encounter any kind of odd issues.

When people have a "lot" of problems with online stores, it's generally because they

Don't read the policies. If you don't read the policies before you buy,

Then you are the problem.

99% of all toy collector complaints about E-tailers are from

Not knowing the policy. HLJ is perfect as they come with international

Shipments. People only complain about time it takes to process shipping requests.

But those complaints are always during a sale which equals high volume.

Also, when there's several different methods of payments you can use,

It's hard to feel bad if one account is bad, ok go into your items page in your

Account and switch it to a credit card and pay.

If you go out of town, always check on places that may receive your stock.

Especially if your just using a non express Paypal authorization.

I mean no offense, but all these complaints are on your side.

HLJ followed they're own protocol which you agreed too!

• 1 month later...

I want to follow up on my previous post with a complaint about HLJ.

Last week I had 13 items in my Private Warehouse, I noticed 2 items had 8 days left before an automatic shipment was generated so I put together a shipping request for 5 of the items in my PW. I received a payment request and paid. A few days later HLJ e-mails me to apologize that one of the items in my order is out of stock (one of the two that was nearing the 60 day limit) and they are unable to ship the item to me so they issue me a refund store credit for the difference in shipping (380 yen) and "returned the item to my PW".

At this point I was not too upset as mistakes happen and luckily the item is still in production. I was however, concerned that I paid for an item but it was not reserved me... wasn't the PW created for this exact reason?!

A few more days go by and I get an automatic shipment generated for the item that was out of stock. I contact HLJ and they tell me that the item is back in stock. I explained about the situation THEY created and I was told it was unfortunate but I cannot do anything - I cannot add any other items to this shipment not can it be shipped with my previous order, which had not yet been sent out to me. The shipping for this item is 680 yen. I also want to add that HLJ never sent me an e-mail to notify me that the item was back in stock.

Now, the cost is nothing major as I only end up paying an extra $3ish for shipping and its not exactly breaking the bank. The thing that really irks me is how HLJ caused the issue and was unwilling to work with me on the problem, which is not my fault. I followed all of their rules and did not allow anything to go beyond the 60 day limit. I am just glad it was not an expensive or large item either as I could have been screwed by the postage.

Edited by Space_Monkey