VF-1J 1/55 Scale

Bloodgrin

Hello :D! New to the forums, and very excited, since I just got my first 1/55 scale Bandai Valkyrie. It's the 2001 reissue, I believe. Loveing it so far, think it's just amazing and the best toy ever made xD. One thing that really caught my attention with it, was the durability I read about. Which, so far, it's really brick solid xD However, I was wondering if anyone else ever experienced issues with the wings on the tail of the Fighter mode?

Basically what happens, is when I fold in the wings to transform it from Fighter Mode...They stick really badly, to the point where they actually bend lol. I've been a little afraid of transforming him because I just get this awful image of them snapping into pieces as I try to fold them over each other. Now I realize there's that little nob that they clip over to keep them in place in Fighter Mode, but this happens after I unclip them past that point. They are just really stiff.

Basically just wanted to know if anyone else experienced this, if it was normal (if not, is there a way to fix it?) and put my mind at ease so I won't have a heart attack when I try to transform him. Thanks again for any answers!

I'm glad you're enjoying your 1/55, they're my all-time favorite Macross toy too. As for the tail fins, they do bind sometimes and can be a bit scary to fold up and down. Try folding them from the base of the fin while lifting them over the nubs. Also, make sure that you are folding them evenly upwards and not at an angle. Other than that, if its a new 1/55 (i.e., on that hasn't been taken a part before) it might be that the nubs need to be worn down a little before the tail fins starts becoming easier to fold up and down. 1/55's are super durable, you would have to do a lot to get those fins to snap.

They are the most fun to "play" with. The only spot you have to worry about is the shoulder hinge joints and that is really only after 1000's of transformations and years of aging. (my old Jetfire).

The reissues in the hands of an adult collector should last a lifetime and then some.

Thank you guys. Definitely loving this Valkyrie lol xD. I got it off Ebay, and it has been opened and used before. I will definitely do these tips. one thing I noticed (although it might just be in my head lol) is that the stiffness may have also been caused by it being in the box for a really long time. Since I left it out in the open over night, and this morning it was much easier to transform, which is strange @.@.

I'm hoping that they do another reissue of these in the future, just so I can get one perfectly brand new, definitely my favorite Macross toy. I got into Macross and Robotech after a friend of the family gave me one of the Yamato collectibles, and DvDs from the different shows...Uhggg they were all so awesome

I have to admit, it was the 1/55's that got me into Macross. Saw the toys first as a child, even before seeing SDF-1 or DYRL? and just fell in love with them. That's why as soon as I was old enough to work and save up some money, I got me some chunky monkeys!

Bloodgrin, you need to get yourself a Super TV 1S next!

Edited by connor99

1/55's are legendary, and the lead piece in my collection is my 1/55 Takatoku VF-1S, but I'd be willing to wager that if you grab a V2 VF-1 in the '60 scale you won't look back; those things are just frakking gorgeous...

!/55 are just so much fun to play with. They last about 16 years if you take care of them. I still have my takutoku in my room displayed I got it when I was about 4 years old. Great toy line!

Edited by Hikaru1234567890

i love the 1/55 scale valks! ever since i was in kindergarden, i remember this boy brought his jetfire to school and i instantly fell in love with it. it was heavy and the whhels kept hurting my fingers when i released them :p the degree of difficulty to transform it to a robot was pretty significant, especially for a 4-5 year old, and with all the armor lol. my favorite is the 1/55 strike valkyrie. i have 3 :)

• 2 weeks later...

I can´t be indiferent to this topic....

First because I also love these so called chunky monkeys.... and like strikevalk I fell in love at school when one of the kids brought his Jet Fire. As an adult and when I was able to afford one I came up with one. My searching in the internet got me into this Macross thing. I had no idea about the existence of de 1/55 Valks prior to Jet Fire!!

I just love their bulky and rock solid stand.. it is bulletproof toy!!!

Now something more related to the topic. My VF-1S Takatoku have one of the tail fin kind of loose. Once put in its position it is not completely steady and can easily fold it back. I am really not sure about the reason, because the nob is not broken or worn down.

Maybe one of this days I will open the back mechanism to find out what is going on...maybe

This is completely different with my Jet Fire´s tail fins that almost feel like they are going to break when I unfold them!!!

Maybe the back pack is not tightened correctly. I think it is time to take that part apart and then properly align the screws.

There's a reason we can only have the Chunky Monkey Transforming Contest at the MWCon. They're the only ones that can withstand the fast transformations. I think the record is about 30 seconds or less.

I disagree, Bandai 1/65 VF-17 will survive fast transformations just fine as well. Just as strong, if not stronger than the 1/55 VF-1.

Graham

I disagree, Bandai 1/65 VF-17 will survive fast transformations just fine as well. Just as strong, if not stronger than the 1/55 VF-1.

Graham

Guest davidwhangchoi

Graham

Graham

for some reason when i post with my phone it double posts like this and i have to correct it when i get home.