No it's as if the chinese makes a movie about Abe and casts one of their gameshow comedians with the rest of the characters an electic mix of westerners, mexicans and swedes. And this chinese Abe is a cowboy to boot, washed up on the west coast due to storms and freeing slaves on his way to Washington.

His real name?

General Tsao.

Honestly... That's frakking brilliant. I'd pay to see that movie. Edited by Duke Togo

Whilst I am familiar with the source material, I'm not as unhappy as some with the fantasy elements.

Go with me.

What if I told you, during World War Two, that the God of the Nordic cycle were behind one of Hitler's henchmen - responsible for millions of deaths of jews, gypsies and homosexuals. Then the US created an 'ubermensch' of their own to combat this Nazi evil by injecting super-steroids and exposure to radiation. Then, instead of shutting down horrific places like Auschwitz and Daschau - the said 'ubermensch' pursues a personal vendetta against a psychotic but ineffectual victim of medicine and this is glorified as the main plot of the movie.

Are you there yet?

Captain America (2011).

So this fantasy retelling of the 47 Ronin story to me isn't too far from some other historical treatments of Hollywood. I'm not making judgements - I loved Captain America - I"m just saying sometimes you have to let realism go and enjoy the ride you're being taken on.

Edited by PetarB

But Captain America isn't a historical figure... It's more like giving Patton a mask and a shield and he goes out to fight a Hitler with no skin on his head. That's just silly... how can you tell that it's Hitler if there's no skin for his mustache to attach to. :rolleyes:

:p

But Peter, this does not take place in a time and place that has white people, therefore we must call it racist/oriental/shoehorning/(insert color here)face and such! ;)

It probably wouldn't sell without at least one white guy in the film.....sorta like the Last Samurai, haha!

It probably wouldn't sell without at least one white guy in the film.....sorta like the Last Samurai, haha!

That's true, but only because the studios don't bank on asian leading parts/purely asian casts and non A-list actors. They just won't put the money in advertising it. But if you compare Crouching Tiger to Last Samurai... Crouching Tiger is a lot more successful based on percentage of profit domestically (USA). Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon was made for $17 million and made $217 million worldwide (13x production budget), 60% of that was domestic. Last Samurai's budget was $140 million and made $456 million (3.25x production), only 25% was domestic. Remember also that CT/HD was released as an arthouse movie released in 16 theaters with barely any ads and wasn't widely released until it showed sellout performances. Last Samurai was released in 3000 theaters in the US and was highly publicized with Tom Cruise's name attached. It's again Hollywood Studio's shortsightedness that keeps stories that have a worldwide appeal from being released with the giant budget it needs.

Well, lets see... Keanu is chosen one who can do things everybody else can't, for some reason. (Until the sequel and the invent a foil)

And a small group of likeable semi-rebels facing impossible odds, who somehow win out anyway. Lots of short hand references to Gladiator and 300.

Throw in some cheap crappy romance for good measure.

I think the most interesting aspect here is the fantasy creatures, which could make or break things. If the CGI is top-shelf It will be fun.

I'll probably catch it on video.

That's true, but only because the studios don't bank on asian leading parts/purely asian casts and non A-list actors. They just won't put the money in advertising it. But if you compare Crouching Tiger to Last Samurai... Crouching Tiger is a lot more successful based on percentage of profit domestically (USA). Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon was made for $17 million and made $217 million worldwide (13x production budget), 60% of that was domestic. Last Samurai's budget was $140 million and made $456 million (3.25x production), only 25% was domestic. Remember also that CT/HD was released as an arthouse movie released in 16 theaters with barely any ads and wasn't widely released until it showed sellout performances. Last Samurai was released in 3000 theaters in the US and was highly publicized with Tom Cruise's name attached. It's again Hollywood Studio's shortsightedness that keeps stories that have a worldwide appeal from being released with the giant budget it needs.

Good points. Anyway, like I said, I'd probably still watch this....maybe not the sequels though......48 Ronin - Reloaded, 49 Ronin - Revolutions....

Good points. Anyway, like I said, I'd probably still watch this....maybe not the sequels though......48 Ronin - Reloaded, 49 Ronin - Revolutions....

Haha! Nice titles...

...these are not the 47 Ronin you are looking for... You can go about your business... move along...

Haha! Nice titles...

...these are not the 47 Ronin you are looking for... You can go about your business... move along...

Right? I swear I saw a greeen lightsaber in the trailer. Also had a feeling of Lord of the Rings as well as Pirates of the Carribean.

I wonder if Kira is going to be a decrepit old man, or some Mortal Kombat-type boss.

But Captain America isn't a historical figure... It's more like giving Patton a mask and a shield and he goes out to fight a Hitler with no skin on his head. That's just silly... how can you tell that it's Hitler if there's no skin for his mustache to attach to. :rolleyes:

:p

What's funny is that this is basically the plot of every Japanese historical movie save for the Taiga dramas. The Japanese have no problem whatsoever raping their history for plot fodder.

I'm reminded of a recent Destroy All Podcasts discussion of Shogun Assassin, which I'm paraphrasing: "It like if John Adams and George Washington hired a bunch of elite assassins to kill each other."

What's funny is that this is basically the plot of every Japanese historical movie save for the Taiga dramas. The Japanese have no problem whatsoever raping their history for plot fodder.

I'm reminded of a recent Destroy All Podcasts discussion of Shogun Assassin, which I'm paraphrasing: "It like if John Adams and George Washington hired a bunch of elite assassins to kill each other."

I'm not an expert on historical based Japanese dramas and how the their handled in Japanese media, so this isn't a counter point. What you're saying is probably totally true. But using Shogun Assassin as an example... SA is a story based on a manga and 47 Ronin is a legend based on a true event in Japanese history (right?). People still visit the grave site where the bodies are suppose to be buried as shown in Peter's post. I do think there's room for fantasy made from historical events, I think what's jarring here is the fact that Hollywood did what Hollywood is really famous for doing. Yeah, it's expected and usually made fun of, but we still get dumbfounded when they actually announce it.

I'm not an expert on historical based Japanese dramas and how the their handled in Japanese media, so this isn't a counter point. What you're saying is probably totally true. But using Shogun Assassin as an example... SA is a story based on a manga and 47 Ronin is a legend based on a true event in Japanese history (right?). People still visit the grave site where the bodies are suppose to be buried as shown in Peter's post. I do think there's room for fantasy made from historical events, I think what's jarring here is the fact that Hollywood did what Hollywood is really famous for doing. Yeah, it's expected and usually made fun of, but we still get dumbfounded when they actually announce it.

Yes, it's the grave markers are definitely real, and I assure you that no dragons or surfer dudes were buried in that plot, haha!

• 2 months later...

If they called it Big Trouble in Little Japan, I wouldn't have been opposed...........except it doesn't look funny.

I'm now 99% confident that the title of the film was a totally random coincidence in regards to the original 47 ronin story. There didn't seem to be any elements of the original story other than 47 "samurai". "Ronin" with Robert Deniro had more to do with the original story than this film.

Original:

When and where: 1703, Japan has been pretty much unified by the Tokugawa, not much going on as far as civil unrest is concerned (compared to Pre-tokugawa era)

Who: Asano and his vassals (who become ronin) and Kira and his clan.

Story: Lord Asaon assaults (reasons for the assualt are debatable depending on what part of Japan you're from) Lord Kira and is sentenced to seppuku. Asano's vassals become masterless (ronin) and plot to take revenge over a two year period of laying low. The ronin kill Kira and are sentenced to seppuku.

Outcome: Family name restored, although only 1/10 of original territory is restored to the family.

New:

When and were: Who knows when, and probably Japan.

Who: Half breed slave that was banished from land (assuming Japan?), 47 "samurai", some dude, some chick, a creature from Avatar, and a dragon.

Story: The folks that owned this slave have taken over the land (assuming Japan?). Seems like there's civil unrest (mounts of corpes) or at the implied notion that these folks are overthrowing the existing government. The half-breed ex-slave with a green lightsaber + 47 "samurai" go against an "infinite" army backed up by a couple of mythical creatures and a dragon.

Outcome: Yet to be determined.

Correlation between the old and the new: the number 47

Edited by peter

• 1 month later...

http://herald-review.com/blogs/decaturade/the-beautiful-disaster-of-ronin/article_1c51a756-6c1b-11e3-8fb6-001a4bcf887a.html

Some of the higher-ups at Universal were apparently very impressed with these, because they saw fit to hand Rinsch a starting budget of $175 million to direct a period piece epic based on one of Japan’s most famous national legend

Production costs expanded, ballooning up to an estimated $225 million. Numerous delays halted production, leading to reshoots. Even Reeves, the film’s supposed star, was busy during part of its production with his own directorial debut, “Man of Tai Chi.” He eventually was brought back for reshoots to, I kid you not, add him back in to the film’s final action sequence. Apparently he wasn’t a part of it previously? Does that seem concerning?

Unsurprisingly, the critical reviews have been scathing as well. My favorite is this 0.5 review from Film.com, which calls the movie “possibly the second-worst thing to happen to Japan so far this century.”

The movie opened the first week of December in Japan, earning only $1.3 million in its first weekend. It was beaten handily by a film titled “Lupin the 3rd vs. Detective Conan: The Movie,”

Wow... this is going to be worse than I thought. I remember seeing the whole concept in an early trailer and I was totally uninterested.

Edited by Gakken85

The first mistake was to use the title 47 ronin, They should have just come up with some other title, and it might not have met such harsh criticism. If you turn your brain off for just a second, and disconnect the notion that this film has anything to do with Chushingura/47 ronin, then you might find it about as entertaining as say LOTR, Star Wars, Avatar, Pirates of the Carribean or Godzilla.

But because they felt the need to add some credibility to the story, they completely sunk this ship.