Hey look - another Hollywood butchering of Japanese history and folklore. 47 Ronin is a fantasy take on the tale of the Forty-seven Ronin (四十七士), adding witches and giants to the storyline, as well as a gaijin in the form of Keanu Reeves. The film also stars Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa (Shang Tsung in Mortal Kombat, Heihachi in Tekken), Rinko Kikuchi (Chieko in Babel, Mako in Pacific Rim), Hiroyuki Sanada (Ujio in The Last Samurai, Shingen Yashida in The Wolverine), Tadanobu Asano (Genghis Khan in Mongol, Hogun in Thor), Kou Shibasaki (Mitsuko in Battle Royale), Jin Akanishi (former KAT-TUN member), and Rick "Zombie Boy" Genest (model known for his skeletal tattoos).

Might as well call it "The Last Samurai Airbender". :ph34r:

Official Site

And just to spare Duke the time of posting...

no-stare_zps9dba405d.jpg

• Hey, let's make a new movie about Superman...
  • Yeah... let's see what it would be like if Superman existed in the real world!
  • whut?
  • Hey, let's make a movie about the 47 Ronins of Japan!
  • White man, Monsters, and Dragons!
  • whut?

What....the....phuck.....I fail to see the connect between this atrocity and 47 ronin other than the fact that they said the number 47 somwhere in the trailer. Why did they even give it that title? Would have been better if they called it 46 dudes plus Keannu

The remake of Karate Kid should have been called Kung Fu Kid ffs.

Judging by the trailer this will be fun, no idea why you guys are complaining.

1. We know the real story of the 47 Ronin, 2. It's likely several of us have seen previous films about the story, and 3. Our IQs are north of the century mark.

I wish Hollywood would give me just a fraction of what they spend on this junk. I'll write and create something far better and original. Not taking a classic like 47 Ronin and "Lone Rangering it".... Too soon?

Edited by 505thAirborne

Ah yes, the hero must be at least half white. Those Japanese are too stupid to solve their own problems.........

Looks like the first fight of Suckerpunch with more videogame level boss characters.

3. Our IQs are north of the century mark.

So is mine, there was no need for insulting me.

2. It's likely several of us have seen previous films about the story

And this is a bad thing because....

1. We know the real story of the 47 Ronin

So by this logic Disney movies are bad because they take fantasy liberties with their movies.... So why do movies such as theirs get a free pass and this does not? Edited by DuelGundam2099

So is mine, there was no need for insulting me.

And this is a bad thing because....

So by this logic Disney movies are bad because they take fantasy liberties with their movies.... So why do movies such as theirs get a free pass and this does not?

No, they're bad because of the "talent" that produces them. And I'm not sure what this free pass they are getting is. Did I miss something?

Disney movies take liberties when they make movies, why have a double standard?

You actually care about who is in it?

I care who writes them, I care who directs them, and yes, I care who is in them.

And I'll say again. Who is giving Disney movies a free pass? The Lone Ranger and last 25 Pirates movies are generally considered to be pretty bad.

The comparison is flawed. Not all classic Disney movies are inspired by folk/fairy tails anyhow and the ones that are AFAIK are in the public domain. Anyone can do anything they want with them.

What we object to is this incessant need Hollywood has to take foreign films and "Robotech" them, adding in SPECIAL EFFECTS EXTRAVAGANZA (because only a movie with $100M worth of sfx can draw people, apparently) and then a white Hollywood lead actor because apparently people only go to see movies with named actors these days.

And yes, we should care about who's involved in the project, A good cast and crew can make or break a movie.

It could be decently entertaining but it's almost deliberately misleading with the title. Just pick another number: 33 Ronin or 52 Ronin or 72 Ronin.... whatever.

Seriously they might as well add a Viking, an Aztec warrior, a Shaka warrior, a roman gladiator, some shaolin monks, a tartar, a couple of braves and a knight of the round table into the mix.

Will make zero difference to its faithfulness to the original material and would be explosively more fun.

Here's a case of "... So that's why...": The film is written by Chris Morgan (The Fast and the Furious 3-6, Wanted) and Hossein Amini (Snow White and the Huntsman, Killshot). Maybe we can forgive Amini, as he wrote Drive.

Generally speaking, they didn't rely on the script for Drive too much.

Well thank goodness there are people around to tell folks what's "good" and "bad" before, during and after a movie is released. Otherwise I and the other sub-100'ers might hurt ourselves going to these obvious popcorn movies.

For shame every movie, game, music or any medium release known to man isn't on par with what the interweb elite deem acceptable.

So what the title is the same as another story, so what that movie is being marketed or touted as said story? If you "know better" and deem it offensive then don't waste your time or money. But hell hath no fury like a nerd scorned if someone out there actually like, or is willing to enjoy for what it is, a concept SOME feel the need to bash.

-b.

Am I the only person here that actually judges movies after actually watching them in full and not just a trailer?

The Lone Ranger and last 25 Pirates movies are generally considered to be pretty bad.

I was referring to their animated stuff, stuff like The Hunchback of Notre Dame come to mind since it was based on a serious book. I know Pinocchio and The Jungle Book were also based on dark stories that got heavily modified. Yet, somehow, nobody seems to mind their changes.

Seriously they might as well add a Viking, an Aztec warrior, a Shaka warrior, a roman gladiator, some shaolin monks, a tartar, a couple of braves and a knight of the round table into the mix.

If done correctly I would totally watch this.

Fine, there is nothing wrong with being a film geek, or aficionado. But let those that are willing to give something a chance or enjoy something you find intellectually offensive because you "know" better a break.

Every other thread it's a select few that just put a beat down on everything. It gets old, and tiresome trying to avoid the persistent negativity and passive aggressive nonsense towards those that might have a differing view.

You don't like this movie, cool you're more than entitled to your opinion. Someone else might and they're equally entitled to theirs, without being told, or made to feel "less than".

-b.

I was referring to their animated stuff, stuff like The Hunchback of Notre Dame come to mind since it was based on a serious book. I know Pinocchio and The Jungle Book were also based on dark stories that got heavily modified. Yet, somehow, nobody seems to mind their changes.

If done correctly I would totally watch this.

I think what Disney has done to many of these classic stories is offensive, and generally speaking, they make kids movies that talk down to their audience. I also take real issue with the lack of credit they give to the original authors.

The problem we have with this movie comes from the fact that we know the story, and have eagerly been awaiting its release--especially after it was pushed back a year. We were expecting something more classical, and instead we are getting some fantasy piece filled with the usual special effects bullshit.

Edited by Duke Togo

Fine, there is nothing wrong with being a film geek, or aficionado. But let those that are willing to give something a chance or enjoy something you find intellectually offensive because you "know" better a break.

Every other thread it's a select few that just put a beat down on everything. It gets old, and tiresome trying to avoid the persistent negativity and passive aggressive nonsense towards those that might have a differing view.

You don't like this movie, cool you're more than entitled to your opinion. Someone else might and they're equally entitled to theirs, without being told, or made to feel "less than".

-b.

QFT

-b.

QFT

I actually think this new film is pretty kewl via the trailer. :D

Not really sure about the negativity. The story was done and redone, and only Ichikawa's version was really the only truly badass adaptation. The Sword of Vengeance version was actually ok, too, but not quite as tight as Ichikawa's version. The rest were really pretty meh. Even Mifune can't rescue Chushingura's corniness.

Ths new version is completely different, for sure. Afaict, with the exception of Ichikawa's version, this new film can't be that mediocre compared to the other films of the same title. It's got Twilight Samurai dude, ffs! :D

Seriously, guys. It's just another adaptation of a quasi-fictional/quasi-PR Tokugawa-era bushido-play. Try not to be hatin' too much.

Oh, and just so I can join the "film-geek/snob/affecionado/pretentiousness" shenanigans, too, here are my versions (missing the SoV pic, tho):

DSC_7277_NEF.jpg DSC_4158_NEF.jpg

:pB)):D

Edited by treatment

Honestly, I would have been happy if they didn't use that title. I'd go watch an action.scifi/fantasy popcorn flick anyday. Conan for instance (not the new one with the surfer dude), but calling this 47 ronin is just silly.

You want to see 47 ronin? This is the 47 ronin:

800px-Sengakuji_47_ronin_graves.jpg

I dunno, I guess it's just a bit of a shocker for history nuts like me, but I guess it's not the first time something like this has been done. Abe Lincoln, Vampire hunter, or 300 are some examples of history being retold with a bit of fantasy thrown in, but this is probably one of the biggest deviations from actual events. Events I have not seen any evidence of so far in the trailer other than the number 47.

I don't mean to trash a film I haven't seen yet, I guess it was just my initial reaction. But being a sword guy, I'll probably still go see it....God help me though if they make that metal-on-metal zinging sound when a forged-steel sword comes out of a wooden saya, haha!

Interesting bit of irony, the actor playing Kira has the family name of Asano...

Edited by peter

I really don’t care how much they butcher a story as long as it is good. The only thing that will be true to the original is the original. Different mediums. And again, if it’s good, let them change whatever they want.

BUT when you have to shoehorn a western main character into something that is supposed to take place in Japan then I hear alarms in my head. Especially when Reeves is as oriental as Hollywood can get. That is a big sign that the project in questions has a heavy dose of Hollywood executive underhand touching things. And that means that they will just try to copy paste things that worked for other films.

The backgrounds look really cool but you can’t build a solid movie just on that. No way can I expect a Tarantino like movie even if they take the simple boss level fight formula of Kill Bill and put pretty Snyder visuals on it.

It will probably be entertaining in some level but the names behind it don’t yell out “money well spend on a ticket”.

I'm not gonna tell people not to see it, but the reaction from people that are somewhat familiar with the story is that this is suppose to be one of Japan's most sacred "historical" legend. First, the fact that an American actor steps into the tale and is "their only hope" would make such people snicker and then you add monsters, magic and dragons... then it's just WTF? I mean... it's equivalent to making a movie about Abraham Lincoln picking up an axe to fight vampires. Seriously? An axe? Everyone knows you use wooden stakes or sunlight to kill vampires! It's madness! Madness I tell you!!!

No it's as if the chinese makes a movie about Abe and casts one of their gameshow comedians with the rest of the characters an electic mix of westerners, mexicans and swedes. And this chinese Abe is a cowboy to boot, washed up on the west coast due to storms and freeing slaves on his way to Washington.

His real name?

General Tsao.