Arcadia: 1/60 VF 1S Roy Focker Special Movie Ver

kengiu

I've wished for years that they'd use black screws instead of chrome. Half the screws are "in the stripes" and would be invisible if black. But the chrome stands out.

(Forearms too, not just legs)

Yamato used black screws for the 1/48 I don't know why they changed to chrome for the v2 VF-1.

I'm not bothered by the screws. But as it is, I find myself agreeing more with treatment as time goes by. The bright white is making me wish this was actually a TV release of Roy with TV-style parts. And with so much going on with Macross at the moment, it's interesting that Arcadia is choosing to play it safe instead of surprising customers with rare releases or paint schemes.

I dunno. I'm going to have to put some extra thought into where I'll be spending my money this summer.

Given the option, I wouldn't mind screw covers if they would make them easier to remove. It just seems like every time I actually need to take something apart to fix it, I'm stymied every which way by screw covers that are so over-glued, I have to destroy them to get them out.

Bandai is the worst for this though. At least with Yamato/Arcadia, the screw covers are usually easily identified, and not covered by massive glued-on panels.

I cancelled my 2 pre-orders. This was supposed to be my first 1/60 scale VF-1 valk and I was excited. I was half as excited after Arcadia revealed the price tag. The screw holes in the promo pics didn't help. I may be nitpicking here, but at this price point I don't think its unreasonable to expect covers or something to hide those ugly holes.

I cancelled my 2 pre-orders. This was supposed to be my first 1/60 scale VF-1 valk and I was excited. I was half as excited after Arcadia revealed the price tag. The screw holes in the promo pics didn't help. I may be nitpicking here, but at this price point I don't think its unreasonable to expect covers or something to hide those ugly holes.

It's a decade old toy.

They have improved that on VF-0, but not the way you think by having merely a cover. They strategically integrated that into the panel line.

post-611-0-98421000-1463564617_thumb.jpg

Edited by Vi-RS

It's a decade old toy.

They have improved that on VF-0, but not the way you think by having merely a cover. They strategically integrated that into the panel line.

<snip>

It sucks that Arcadia didn't have solid QC on the new Zero Valkyries until the 0S. With the VF-1 reissues, I can't shake the feeling that they are missing a good opportunity by not moving outside of that Roy/Hikaru comfort zone.

*shrug*

I could be wrong with that impression...

Edited by technoblue

those screw holes have always been there. chrome plate screws are way better than black ox for almost everything btw. if people are really that fussed over it you could unscrew it and put a black ox screw in or...paint the top.as for screw hole covers...that would be nice but frankly not having on in front of me right now i can't rememver if the holes are deep enough (to the head of the screw) where covers woudl stay in. maybe there is a market for that if so though.

those screw holes have always been there. chrome plate screws are way better than black ox for almost everything btw. if people are really that fussed over it you could unscrew it and put a black ox screw in or...paint the top.as for screw hole covers...that would be nice but frankly not having on in front of me right now i can't rememver if the holes are deep enough (to the head of the screw) where covers woudl stay in. maybe there is a market for that if so tho

Out of curiosity, what makes chrome screws better than black?

I find it amusing that people are nitpicking over screws now?!? Shows really how spoilt we are! lol I could never imagine this happening 20 years ago!

On another note, I'll be passing on this one. Already have the DYRL versions and the TV VF-1S. I guess the next release after this is the 1S Hikaru? Really disappointed Arcadia is not growing some balls and stepping outside their comfort zone of 1Ss... C'mon, there's tons more valks to do!!!

Edited by QEssential

;) You know what's also amusing? Is that if Arcadia gave us now screw covers since some of us here doesn't want to see the 'exposed' screws, people will start complaining next on how to remove those tight covers without ruining or scratching the plastic or paints or tampo prints if there's any, so that we can fix the joints if ever those gets so loose over time. In the end, people will still put the blame on Arcadia (even though they gave people what they want) for putting the screw covers. I guess, the only solution on this is, design or make your own 'perfect' toy. Problem solved. :rolleyes:

Out of curiosity, what makes chrome screws better than black?

generally they are both harder and have better corrosion resistance etc. black zinc plating would be just as good though as "chrome" with respect to corrosion but not as good at wear resistance. anyway it doesn't matter so much for toys kept in good environs but here is a quick guide

http://www.instockfasteners.com/Tools/guidetofastenerplating.asp

I also find it pretty odd to complain about the screw holes that were always present in this toy line. Personally I prefer them the way they are without covers. It makes it easier to do repairs.

If they made rubber ones they would have to be black/white because of where the hole is in relation to the stripe. I think it could be possible though, but I don't have any knowledge on how they would mfg that.

Edited by Loop

If I remember correctly the V1 went with the route of using rubber round covers, but those look out of place in every possible way so they dropped that on V2.

I think what they are doing on recent release is brilliant by integrating the covers in the panel line. It'd be best if they leave a small indentation on the cover for maintenance, but the MW members will complain irregardless.

• 2 months later...

Got an email from Nippon-Yasan this morning saying the release date for this has changed from August 31st to August 25th. Yay!

^ was there any problem with the color of the Yamato DYRL packs in the first place?

I plan to treat this as my TV VF-1S anyway and slap the TV Super Parts on it.

Not at all, but I kinda like the idea of keeping the Yamato and Arcadia releases distinct.

I just know a lot of people need FPs for their collection, and these might not jive so well with the Yamato FPs if they're a different color.

Wow, very nice box packaging, good job Arcadia. :wub:

Hmmm... I actually wanted to throw all the boxes away to slim down my collection and 5S,

Anyway wont be selling it.... should I keep the box??? :rolleyes:

Seriously I'd love to take the box off your hands if you decide to toss them away.