I'm not against the idea of killing bad guys, but killing minor bad guys and letting mass murdering psychos like the joker live is an interesting point brought up by Tking22. I know that in the marvelverse some could say the same for the treatment of Loki, but at least that was more an alien family issue. Does the dc film universe have any rules for how to handle these things yet or is it just random convenience.

I'm not against the idea of killing bad guys, but killing minor bad guys and letting mass murdering psychos like the joker live is an interesting point brought up by Tking22. I know that in the marvelverse some could say the same for the treatment of Loki, but at least that was more an alien family issue. Does the dc film universe have any rules for how to handle these things yet or is it just random convenience.

Yeah the shaky, barely there continuity isn't making sense already. I would've thought they would wait and explain in the solo Bat film that maybe back when Batman operated with Robin they didn't kill, and if they had to, it was more or less Robin's rule that he made Batman follow as well, but with Robin carrying around a halberd, I don't think that quite fits either. If I had to guess which Robin this was, I'd also have to guess Jason, but making Jason the first/only Robin just seems, dirty... But I also guess somewhat fitting for this insane Snyder-verse. I'm guessing they fraked themselves into a narrative corner here, I can't see how they would explain Batman and Robin murdering low level nobodies and letting people like Deadshot, master assassin, and Killer Croc, a cannibal live. I'm still hoping that at the end of Justice League Grant Gustin pops up through a portal and makes a comment about this being another insane, backwards version of Earth.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got around to seeing this one. Wow, it was a lot better than I thought it would be going in. There weren't nearly as many

WTF-meme.jpg

moments with the story/plot as there were in MoS. Admittedly, the opening credits scene felt like I was viewing Watchmen all over again. But still: an unexpected thumbs-up.

Well damn, Affleck actually pulled it off. The only thing missing from the Batsuit was a vest pocket and a notepad--cause he (Batman) kicked ass and took names. The fight to rescue Martha Kent had me LOL'ing (in a good way, dat sh*t was awesome). Only thing it needed was a "POW" or a "ZAM" or a "KLONK" here and there. :p

I did like the little nods in the film to the previous incarnations of our heroes. From the batsuit serving as a functional body armor, a la Burton & Nolan vers; to the Superman with the kryptonite in the marble "pool" scene a la Donner; to Supes getting nuked and regenerated by the sun (from one of the WB animated films, can't remember which); and of course the Dark Knight Returns nod with the power armor.

Where they started to lose me though was the Doomsday fight, when dir. Snyder resorted to the over-the-top, faster-than-the-eye-can-register SFX. Feels a bit like directorial sleight of hand; like trying to dazzle viewers to distract from any proverbial holes or flaws in the background.

Unlike MoS, I think this one'll hold up much better to multiple viewings.

Edited by reddsun1

Ooh yeah--how could I have missed this:

wwgig4.gif

for this?

batman-the-dark-knight-returns-part-1-tr

Pretty cool. I guess the fanboys are finally getting what's been wanted all along, i.e. seeing the images from the pages of some of the most iconic comics come to life, instead of Hollywood's interpretation of said comics--which often gets lost in translation (no pun intended).

Question: when did Wonder Woman get so insanely powered-up though? Since when did she go from Amazonian princess, "earth's strongest woman" (but still human, eh?) to basically Superman with t*ts? :huh:

Edited by reddsun1

Not a bad idea, I could also see them throwing in either the Furies or Kalibak as well.

Geoff Johns was assigned to a role similar to Kevin Feige along with another producer to handle the DC cinematic universe.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Vocal?....Schnepp was approaching Troll status with his constant ragging on BvS. I am stunned how much the version changed him. Looking forward to seeing it even more now.

Chris

Yeah I already watched the R rated extended cut Sunday, through illicit means... It was indeed better, the entire first half of the film is much more fleshed out, and makes much more sense. All of the random scenes tossed together don't seem so random now, there's more lead up for Clark looking into the Bat, more insight into Lois' search for the bullet from Africa, and overall much more connective tissue for the first half of the film. That said, I still think the last act and the big fight were a mess, this extended cut does nothing to make Lex's plan anymore idiotic, and I still haven't figured out how Lex found out both Superman and Batman's identities, I've seen the movie four times now including the extended, and I am still apparently missing how he figured it out. There's also way more random violence, especially in the Africa scene in the beginning, I think Snyder did something really awful to poor Jimmy's corpse. Plus, just what was his big plan with Doomsday? And why did a random Kryptonian ship have the ability to turn a Kryptonian corpse and a bit of human blood into Doomsday? The computer said nobody should ever, or could ever create an abomination again, was there another way to make Doomsdays without human blood being tossed into the mix? It implied Kryptonians have done it before, but it appeared the thing was only created due to the human blood being added in, I doubt Krytponians had access to any of that. And once again, what was Lex's plan with Doomsday? Had Batman not killed Superman, exactly like he didn't, Doomsday would've killed Lex as soon as it was free, then destroyed the world. So yeah, the extended cut helped quite a bit, but there's still a lot to hate and be angry at in my opinion. The Bat fight scene at the end had a few added bits, but from remembering the initial trailers, I still feel there's one little bit missing from that fight, oh well, it's still the best Bat fight scene we've ever gotten on film.

After watching the Ultimate Edition, I have to ask...

How did Luthor know that Supes can't see through lead?

Aside from that, saying the Ultimate Edition is better than the theatrical release is just like saying Highlander II: The Renegade Version is an improvement over Highlander II: The Quickening - you can make improvements on a bad movie, but in the end, it's still a bad movie.