So... I just watched Man of Steel for the first time ever and want to share my thoughts.

*snip*

Overall I felt like this movie had potential, but there are some real mis steps in this movies plot that really hold it back from being great. I give it a meh.

Me thinks most folks feel, or felt, the same way.

It's going to be interesting to see how DC is going to cram all of these characters into one film. I'm not as bent about the casting choices however the writing needs to be spot on to make this work.

-b.

MOAR DARK! MOAR BROODING!

Really hope not, but you're probably right.

I admit that I do like the production design having a "dark" or "grounded" look (speaking relative to a brightly colored "traditional" comic book aesthetic).

-b.

I'm fine with Batman being dark and brooding, but it feels so wrong and out of place with Supes.

Blame Nolan?

Out side of mainstream Marvel movies it seems like it's been hard for filmmakers to capture a balance of realism/drama and the inherent campy feel of comic books.

Personally I'd rather they err on the side of dark and brooding but again I agree too much of that is out of place with characters like Superman. If DC can find the balance like Marvel has then they'd be golden.

-b.

So... I just watched Man of Steel for the first time ever and want to share my thoughts.

1.I had no problem with the way Zod's neck got snapped. I just wish they didn't have Supes give that stupid scream afterwards and left him just kneeling there in quiet contemplation of what he'd done. Also maybe not make him such a wiseass to the US army general afterward.

2.The kiss Lois and Supes shared seemed oddly forced to me since they never really spent any time onscreen together, and she spent more time trying to track him down rather than anything else. Sure there was a little flirting, but this was something they should have left for the sequel.

3.The whole krypton atmosphere and gravity makes Supes weak seems contrived in a "we gotta gimp this guy for drama" way and doesn't carry the same weight as doing straight up kryptonite. It also felt a little inconsistant at times too when Zod's minions come into play.

4.For being Superman and being able to get tossed through 15 buildings at once without harm this guy sure gets knocked unconcious alot.

5.Damn this movie hates father figures and Pa Kent is a moron.

6.Nice effects that really give you a sense of superman's strength.

Overall I felt like this movie had potential, but there are some real mis steps in this movies plot that really hold it back from being great. I give it a meh.

MoS gets the nod for me for: 1. better special effects; 2. they made the costume look a helluva lot better. But the '78 film did a better job telling the story. And I still prefer Christopher Reeve's portrayal. But admittedly, there are scenes--like the rooftop dinner with Lois--where he looks genuinely embarrassed to be seen in that undies-on-the-outside getup. :p

But the thing that kinda kills it for me though is how insanely over-the-top they went with some aspects of the action/effects in an effort to blow the audiences away in MoS. So much of the action/movement is sped up to where the human eye can barely register it--so that it goes from being fantastical to just going:

567ec512ba771ac1937f2788d23dd26ee3f39012

All I can think is: how could a mortal human hope to match someone like that--no matter how much training he's had; or how super his detective skills; or how neat his utility belt is?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just can't take this seriously. I maybe could have, given the source material, if not for Man of Steel. But because of it I can't get over the fact that this is another dark, gritty, and brooding Superman movie.

I just can't take this seriously. I maybe could have, given the source material, if not for Man of Steel. But because of it I can't get over the fact that this is another dark, gritty, and brooding Superman movie.

Yeah I am not getting any good vibes from this but I also disliked MOS so take that into consideration. My favorite screen version of the DC characters was the stuff that BRUCE TIMM did at WB Animation from 91 Batman animated through the 20XX's Justice League/JL Unlimited. After that it seems to have gone to the crapper.