You're right that these big budgets are not earning back the money many hope. However, in this specific case the internet describes the latest X-Men: Days of Future Past as costing less money to make and earning more than Man of Steel, a difference that works out to nearly $100 million more revenue for the X-film. The X-films are far smaller budgets on average than the WB/DC movies, so I think Fox has a better handle on their comic book property than WB's do on the DC characters.

I think budget is a big part of the problem that WB/DC fail to realize. Yes, when the big summer tentpole films hit, they can hit so big they make more money than a half dozen other big films combined. Warner Bros had the right idea with the Batman films, starting at $150 million for Batman Begins, then expanding to $185 million and a ballooning $250 million for The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises respectively. Luckily Batman was a winner and the two sequels pulled in over $1 billion a piece. But WB spend $200+ million on each of these super films hoping they'll hit as big and so far none of them since the Bat-films have hit as hoped. WB/DC have also suffered huge failures that Marvel have never had to endure. Green Lantern was a massive $200 million bomb.

By comparison, the Marvel movies cost far less to make. Most are in the $140 to $170 million range and Marvel spends less marketing their films because they don't have to. The Marvel movies are almost selling themselves at this point, with each film featuring continuity footage/characters and sprinkling the credits with stingers that advertise and lead into the next Marvel movie. And Marvel only spends the big money on the projects that justify the expense (so far, the Iron Man sequels and The Avengers are Marvel's only $200 million movies). Because the Marvel business plan is tighter and smarter, they can take greater risks and hence make far better films. I also find it hilarious that Marvel can spend $50-100 million less on a film, yet their movies FEEL far bigger and more of a pop culture obligation for potential audiences than something like Man of Steel.

I think post-Nolan, WB/DC are in for a rude awakening at the box office and nothing they've shown so far in their plans leads me to think they'll have anywhere near the success that Marvel Studios' currently enjoying.

Green Lantern was a $200 million production that made 116 domestic and 103 worldwide. Adjust the international gross for what the studio takes and Warner Bros. made a whopping... -40 million dollars. Now figure in a $200 million marketing machine for a summer tentpole movie.

He did the math for you on the international take since the studios only get a cut of it (I think he said 42% on the previous page). So 116 + 103(.42) = $159.26. Budget was $200. $200-159.26 = $40.74 deficit. That ignores that the movie was extensively marketed beyond the production budget so the true loss is likely about $100Million. This ignores home revenues... but I don't think that matters.

*snip*

Backstreet? or Backdoor?

Honestly either when you consider Warner Brothers overall track record with DC properties.

And everybody thinks it's a laughable piece of garbage except for you. Nobody is lining up for a sequel.

:lol:

-b.

WTF? Green Lantern did NOT see profitability.

Listen folks, the studios aren't in the business of big summer tentpole movies for a return of pennies on the dollar. Use your head and be objective here; these studio's are massive corporations with thousands of employees, heavy expenses and massive overhead just to keep the lights on and the reels spinning. And never forget, almost every big $200 million picture can easily cost $50+ million to advertise. Search the internet and read about the infamous 2005 film Sahara to get an idea of the money spent after budget to get these big summer movies sold. The financials were publically disclosed as part of the dramatic legal proceedings that followed the film's disastrous release.

But just so the point is drilled home, the wiki currently lists Green Lantern as #13 on the Top 50 Biggest Box Office Bombs of All Time, apparently posting a loss of over $90 million.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_box_office_bombs

If some of you actually like Green Lantern, that's certainly your business but your affinity doesn't mean jack to the accountants. Save the snake oil for Batman v. Superman Now back to our regularly scheduled thread... :)

Edited by Mr March

WTF? Green Lantern did NOT see profitability.

Listen folks, the studios aren't in the business of big summer tentpole movies for a return of pennies on the dollar. Use your head and be objective here; these studio's are massive corporations with thousands of employees, heavy expenses and massive overhead just to keep the lights on and the reels spinning. And never forget, almost every big $200 million picture can easily cost $50+ million to advertise. Search the internet and read about the infamous 2005 film Sahara to get an idea of the money spent after budget to get these big summer movies sold. The financials were publically disclosed as part of the dramatic legal proceedings that followed the film's disastrous release.

But just so the point is drilled home, the wiki currently lists Green Lantern as #13 on the Top 50 Biggest Box Office Bombs of All Time, apparently posting a loss of over $90 million.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_box_office_bombs

If some of you actually like Green Lantern, that's certainly your business but your affinity doesn't mean jack to the accountants. Save the snake oil for Batman v. Superman Now back to our regularly scheduled thread... :)

Well then...

post-357-0-49739900-1413750698.jpg

-b.

Jenius was spot on with the GL numbers. I looked at the DVD=Bluray numbers... +$40 million... advertising numbers... -$100 million. so over all... -$100 million for the GL. Which they already decided to reboot. I'm not a big Goyer fan either and he's pretty much in charge of the universe. Did they even see his Blade 3 directed film?

• 3 weeks later...

I think DC will get their film franchises in order. All of the recent talk about their approach to the upcoming films suggest that the realize the stakes and are taking the up most care. I like most of the casting choices they have made recently. If Bats v Superman delivers then I think the public will be greatly energized about their other upcoming releases. Bats V Superman is supposed to have appearances by most of the planned justice league which should be great advanced marketing for when these other characters start their film franchises.

While Goyer managed to make things work for Blade (yes, Blade is what managed to get comic book movies working before Spiderman or X-Men) I just don't think he's sophisticated enough to run an entire franchise in the same way Fiege is managing the Marvel properties. Then again I don't really know what DC fans want as I've never really read their comics. From my perspective none of these movies are interesting. Even if Marvel have chosen some oddball topics I'm not fond of, Guardians was one and Inhumans is another, they've manged to pull things off in a way I'm at least very curious and hopeful. WB and DC I have zero faith in, and Man of Steel didn't really even bother me like it did most.

I think DC will get their film franchises in order. All of the recent talk about their approach to the upcoming films suggest that the realize the stakes and are taking the up most care. I like most of the casting choices they have made recently. If Bats v Superman delivers then I think the public will be greatly energized about their other upcoming releases. Bats V Superman is supposed to have appearances by most of the planned justice league which should be great advanced marketing for when these other characters start their film franchises.

I don't want to be that guy but "up most" is nonsense. Utmost is a word.

• 1 month later...

I saw that last night. The colors aren't too far off what most speculated that they will be. I'm glad that they appear to have gone away from the all black suit, and have reincorporated the gray back into the costume.

They also announced Will Smith to play Dead shot in the Suicide squad.

• 2 months later...

So... I just watched Man of Steel for the first time ever and want to share my thoughts.

1.I had no problem with the way Zod's neck got snapped. I just wish they didn't have Supes give that stupid scream afterwards and left him just kneeling there in quiet contemplation of what he'd done. Also maybe not make him such a wiseass to the US army general afterward.

2.The kiss Lois and Supes shared seemed oddly forced to me since they never really spent any time onscreen together, and she spent more time trying to track him down rather than anything else. Sure there was a little flirting, but this was something they should have left for the sequel.

3.The whole krypton atmosphere and gravity makes Supes weak seems contrived in a "we gotta gimp this guy for drama" way and doesn't carry the same weight as doing straight up kryptonite. It also felt a little inconsistant at times too when Zod's minions come into play.

4.For being Superman and being able to get tossed through 15 buildings at once without harm this guy sure gets knocked unconcious alot.

5.Damn this movie hates father figures and Pa Kent is a moron.

6.Nice effects that really give you a sense of superman's strength.

Overall I felt like this movie had potential, but there are some real mis steps in this movies plot that really hold it back from being great. I give it a meh.

Edited by renegadeleader1