Bandai DX YF-29 Isamu Coloring

Tochiro

Just got mine today, took forever to arrive to Panama. From NY it was shipped quickly and very well packed to the US, so kudos to them cause I've been very openly critical of them and its nice to see them improve.

Manage to open and inspect it quickly, sorry to say but I'm rather underwhelmed. :unsure:

Quick teaser pic of my progress. Still need to do the gun and also make some finishing touches on the weathering.

Sorry about the craptastic pic. I had put away my photography setup during the holidays, so I need to take all that back out and set it up again.

I just set it on the floor with the bluish LED lighting from the case to illuminate it. I had to heavily compensate for the color of the lighting and a lot of details were washed out as well.

I'll do my usual proper pics soon once I'm done with this.

DSC_5533.jpg

hi macross junkie i don't no about the rest of us .. but i think you need to made a special thread about the tutorial for making this awesome weathering custom!

Edited by valid

hi macross junkie i don't about the rest of us .. but i think you need to made a special thread about the tutorial for making this awesome weathering custom!

One of these days I need to remember to take more pics as I go. I've done explanations of my process several times in the past, but it would probably be easier to visualize if they were accompanied with pics for illustration.

Got mine today. Never like YF-29. But I think the scheme nails it. It fits this mould perfectly except for the black heart on the shield. Now I'm eager for YF-30

The heart does not appear on the shield that comes with the SP's if that helps any :D

MJ you never cease to amaze me with your customs, I wish I had the time and your skills.

A few quick observations after some hands-on time, this is by far my favorite YF-29 (I have the Alto and 30th Anniversary releases). I think Bandai did an excellent job improving areas that needed to be worked on (namely the wings and rotating nacelles and the shield connection in Fighter mode) from previous releases.

I agree that the canopy is very, rich, for lack of a better term - the blue is very dark. I don't mind the blue accents in the fold crystals (or whatever they're called) in contrast to the other purple parts.

So far so good, glad that I was able to pick this up.

-b.

Back from a Macross hiatus with this beauty. Thoroughly enjoyed the game and love Macross Plus, so it was a no-brainer getting this one and I'm not regretting it at all. As many have stated, it would look gorgeous next to the upcoming YF-19 renewal. Brilliant throwback to the YF-19 with the forward-swept wings. Might take some pics later when I find the time.

Since it is my first YF-29, out of curiosity, are the wings only supposed to be collapsed during Battroid mode? Is there a in-universe explanation for the collapse of wings in Fighter/Gewalk modes?

Since it is my first YF-29, out of curiosity, are the wings only supposed to be collapsed during Battroid mode? Is there a in-universe explanation for the collapse of wings in Fighter/Gewalk modes?

According to the online data for the YF-29, the wings retract/collapse in fighter mode for high speed flight capability.

Edited by Newtype78

Damn, even MacrossJunkie's superb weathering work on this valk does not redeem this design for me. I hope I'll be more interested in it when I see it in person but I doubt it and the super parts version looks even worse... Damn you, completist collecting compulsion!

Alright! Managed to get some free time from the prison that is school to take some pics of these two together!

Not sure if anyone has done this already, but the YF-19 and the YF-29 look phenomenal together~

DSC_0914_zpse6200919.jpg

Fighter_zps5e66d9c5.jpg

Gewa_zps4694be80.jpg

Batt_zpsa535f87f.jpg

Bat1t_zpsfa261b97.jpg

Experimented with different settings and lighting conditions, I hope they turned out okay.

136 is "Ichi","San", and "Roku" in Japanese, and we also read 6 as "Mu."

Ichi, san and mu become "Isamu."

For the other example, Tokyo Sky Tree is 634 meter tall. "Mu", "san","shi" and it is located in the former Musashi District.

Edited by antibiotictab

Alright! Managed to get some free time from the prison that is school to take some pics of these two together!

Not sure if anyone has done this already, but the YF-19 and the YF-29 look phenomenal together~

Experimented with different settings and lighting conditions, I hope they turned out okay.

I only took one shot of the two together in fighter mode yesterday in one of the picture threads but it wasn't anything like a side by side comparison.

Nice pics. I especially like the GERWALK one and the battroid one with the light background. I think the ones with the white background worked out better.

For whatever settings and lighting conditions you used in those, the color and contrast look pretty good in those compared to the dark background ones where the lighting kind of washed out the detail and depth.

For the other example, Tokyo Sky Tree is 634 meter tall. "Mu", "san","shi" and it is located in the Musashi District.

Oh! That's pretty clever.

Edited by MacrossJunkie

-snip-

Nice shots. Love that side by side of fighter and the white background battroid one. Real nice.

For the other example, Tokyo Sky Tree is 634 meter tall. "Mu", "san","shi" and it is located in the former Musashi District.

Interesting information. I was always wondering how they thought up the 136 for Isamu's 29. Thanks for the info!

had no idea 6 can be read as mu...clever indeed. i knew 1-3 for some reason and i knew roku from initial D (hachi roku ). bit of triviea...the roku streaming device is the 6th company the guy who started it created.

Edited by Mechapilot77

had no idea 6 can be read as mu...clever indeed. i knew 1-3 for some reason and i knew roku from initial D (hachi roku ). bit of triviea...the roku streaming device is the 6th company the guy who started it created.

This is off-topic...
In Z Gundam, Char Aznable call himself Quattro Bajeena because "Quattro" is the forth name of Casval Rem Deikun.
Casval→Edward Mass→Char→Quattro
Ah, in Evangelion, an episode's title is "Saigo no Shisha."
Not 使者, シ者... Why they used katakana on purpose?
We can read "シ者" as "渚." 渚 is nagisa. Yeah, Nagisa Kaworu; 渚カヲル.
Edited by antibiotictab

Thanks a ton for the comments, guys!

Nice pics. I especially like the GERWALK one and the battroid one with the light background. I think the ones with the white background worked out better.
For whatever settings and lighting conditions you used in those, the color and contrast look pretty good in those compared to the dark background ones where the lighting kind of washed out the detail and depth.

Right, will make a note of that. (^.^) Your feedback is appreciated!

Never knew THE Actar was a Macross fan hahaha :lol:

Which version is your YF-19? My V1 is a floppy mess, and yours managed to pull off some nice dynamic looking poses.

Heh, heh, heh... Have been a fan since I was inculcated with Robotech all these years ago. Have done some Macross related reviews too, do check them out! (^.^) My YF-19 is the Package Renewal version. It seems that that's the only dynamic pose that it's able to pull off with its limited leg articulation.

I guess the crystals on the shoulder SHOULD be purple... but the blue ones look much nicer. :)

I was curious about this too. Upon looking at the game model, the crystals and canopy are actually that shade of blue in the game.

Edited by Actar