New Macross F BD Digital Remaster Boxset - TV series

Tochiro

While the subs that Macross Plus got were far from perfect, I think calling them 'messed up Engrish' is going a bit too far. Maybe it's just because I've seen it so many times that I knew exactly what was being said and it didn't detract from my enjoyment.

In the case of Macross Frontier if we get subs we should be thanking our lucky stars. Unlike M+ which had a series of very good english language releases, a hypothetical Macross Frontier BD set with subtitles would be the only subtitled version we could ever hope to get. I've given up on hoping for a overseas release of Macross related stuff due to what we all know so well here.

Only if it has subs. :(

Agreed. Adding English (+other language) subs for export customers and even a commissioned English dub would make it worth the money. Otherwise it is simply a cash grab, regardless of the re-master.

If Big West can do an English dub and subtitles for the Macross Plus "International Release" DVD set, back in the 90's, they can do it for this release or my money stays in my pocket.

I'm sure the English voice track and subtitles boosted the international sales of Macross Plus.

It is what got me to buy it.

They should commission an expatriate Japanese person who has lived in the west for a number of years to translate the script, like the owner of Half Moon Books in Vancouver. She wants to start a sideline business translating Manga, She tells me that too often Western translators don't understand the "intent" of the words, thus giving an accurate word for word translation devoid of the meaning of the dialogue or story. I'm sure there are others out there like her.

While the subs that Macross Plus got were far from perfect, I think calling them 'messed up Engrish' is going a bit too far. Maybe it's just because I've seen it so many times that I knew exactly what was being said and it didn't detract from my enjoyment.

In the case of Macross Frontier if we get subs we should be thanking our lucky stars. Unlike M+ which had a series of very good english language releases, a hypothetical Macross Frontier BD set with subtitles would be the only subtitled version we could ever hope to get. I've given up on hoping for a overseas release of Macross related stuff due to what we all know so well here.

Well we can always hope HG finally goes bankrupt or at the very least sells their Macross rights to Warner Brothers...

Edited by Zinjo

I missed out on the original, individual releases, and if the tiny jpegs on that site are representative of the actual upgraded video then this should be a nice set. Poor wallet, it's time to start saving money again! English in some form, whether it's subtitled, dubbed, or occassionally silly would be the icing on the cake.

Would some of the exclusive special videos and documentaries that were

on the Ultimate and Triangle Frontier games be included on this new Frontier BD set?

Ultimate Frontier UMD Videos:

1. MUF Promotion
2. MUF 25th Anniversary Special
3. MUF M7 Frontier Chibi Style
4. MUF The Making of Macross Frontier the Movie

5. MUF Kawamori Interview.
6. MUF Trailer and Kaijuri/Fukuyama promo
7. MUF End Credits
Triangle Frontier UMD Videos:
1. Movie Macross F: Nether Back to Basics
2. "Macross Keep: Back to Basics triangle border of empty bag." (60 minutes)
3. "Super Dimension Theatre" (90 minutes)

on the Ultimate and Triangle Frontier games be included on this new Frontier BD set?

1. MUF Promotion

7. MUF End Credits

Not according to the list of extras on the official website (as translated in the first post of this thread), no.

1. MUF Promotion

7. MUF End Credits

A lot of them have already appeared elsewhere since, such as the Kawamori interview, which was on the DYRL BD Extras disc.

As for the "Movie Macross F: Nether Back to Basics" and "2. "Macross Keep: Back to Basics triangle border of empty bag." (60 minutes)", I still have no idea what they are supposed to be..! :p

I was only able to get an "Engrish" google translation of the UMD videos that are

exclusive to the Triangle Frontier Limited Edtion PSP collections.

So, I am not sure what those special documentary videos are.

• 3 weeks later...

okay thanks for the clarification :) ... but I mean I did seen the screen comparison and all, but are they really trying to go with "the new 5discs set IS better than old 9disc set"? sounds fishy somehow... (or were old disc BD25 and the new ones BD50? or am I missing something here?)

If they go that route, and are admitting they kinda made a "poor" job with early Blu-rays, makes me wonder about how's Macross Zero (which I don't own yet)

Edited by Shin

It has nothing to do with disc count, it has to do with animation touch ups and better encoding. 5 eps per disc is absolutely fine.

Will this be available for preorder at cdjapan or yesasia? I can't understand the preorder link since I can't read Japanese.

Click the view in english button, l important smazon jp info will translate for you.

It has nothing to do with disc count, it has to do with animation touch ups and better encoding. 5 eps per disc is absolutely fine.

Click the view in english button, l important smazon jp info will translate for you.

Thank you! Now I need to know if it will have English subs/dubs. Also if I have an amazon account here in the US can I log onto the JA version? And will my card be charged now or on Christmas Day?

You have to make a JP account. They'll charge you when it ships. Amazon works the same way all over the world :)

I put in my order about a month ago now.

No Eng of any sort confirmed at this stage.

That's really too bad. Macross Frontier has gained quite a large following here in the U.S., as evident in a few conventions. Personally, I've worn a few Frontier shirts, and I get comments on them all the time. There is a demand for subs on these, and I know for me personally, I'd buy these again if it had them. It'd be a reason to get them, and would be drive for what seems like a good number, to get the box set. I know for our anime group here in SoCA, it'd mean several units sold without question.

I don't understand why they wouldn't do this. I'm sure they're aware of the inability to put them out worldwide without some other specific company getting their panties in a bunch, but subs are the great proverbial middle finger to that company, and with e-tailers being the equalizer for us getting these Blurays, it's a perfect match for making this work.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

First post here...long time lurker. I've been watching a bootleg copy (DVD) of Macross F and have been enjoying it tremendously. Subs are "ok"..unfortunately, the transfer is just TERRIBLE. I see that this box set is region free...does this mean I'll be able to watch it on my PS3? Would you guys recommend this set or should I hold off on preoprdering? Will it run the risk of selling out? Sorry for all the questions.

PS. One more question..anyone have any leads for good quality transfers with subtitles?

I just got done watching the Malaysian version with English subs. It was ok, got it from eBay. It will work with your ps3 just like the m30 game. Know one knows if it will have English subs. That's why I haven't placed my order.

Thats probably the same one I got. I got mine on ebay. Was yours a shoddy transfer?

No mine was fine. At some points the subs get a bit wonky but for the most part are pretty good and the picture was surprisingly good. It was wrapped in clear plastic with the DVDs in a slim tin case that slides into a fancy DVD cover that has a flap that opens at the front. Now to watch the two MF movies that came with it.

If memory serves, no English subs? :(

Amazon does not list English subs at this point.

Movies are not included.

I THINK the clean OP/ED were on the original BDs but am at work atm so I can't check.

Am personally on the fence about this since I bought the original releases (eventually in two boxes). If I can score a deal were I can get it for under 20,000yen I might consider it.

I have all the discs and the movies, the only thing that would prompt me to buy this set is English subtitles "AT LEAST", English dub track would be a slam dunk for a pre-order.

The re-master looks good, but not enough to merit 33800 yen!!

If someone could confirm that the set will include subs that would be great.

No English subs listed on either the official site or at various online retailers, so unless something to the contrary gets announced at this stage there are no English subs.

Edited by Tochiro

No mine was fine. At some points the subs get a bit wonky but for the most part are pretty good and the picture was surprisingly good. It was wrapped in clear plastic with the DVDs in a slim tin case that slides into a fancy DVD cover that has a flap that opens at the front. Now to watch the two MF movies that came with it.

Oh nice! You wouldn't happen to have any links to these ebay auctions, would you? I wanna get a better copy. :(