FlightPose display stands..

spanner

It's a slow process. I think it takes a year for the paint to come. Or least that's how long before i noticed. It may be sooner. I wonder if you avoid the paint stripping by constantly switching the valks on the stand?

I think people need to keep in mind that it's not a 100% sure thing that the Flightpose stands will eat the paint. Some people had problems with this, others did not. It seems that certain production runs were more prone to develop this issue than others. We don't really have a clear picture on the exact reason why the tips ate the paint, so it's entirely possible you could buy a set of stands and have no problems with it. It's a lot like the Yamato V2 shoulder issue. Yes, a lot of the early production V2s had bad shoulders, but there were ones that were fine.

A non-zero percent chance of paint stripping, no matter how small, is a gamble I am personally not willing to take with my prized and well looked after collection. YMMV, though ;)

I checked the 7 FP stands that I have yesterday and no signs of any paint wear issues. That's after 9 months of constant contact between valk and stand for whatever it's worth.

I agree with the previously noted comments that the issue of these stands eating paint really seems to be tied to either a bad batch or a handful of bad batches from the factory. That said, I certainly keep an eye on my valks since loading them onto the FP stands. Paranoia pays off sometimes.

I really wanted one of these until the issues came up years ago. Kinda sad but I got enough to worry about without adding yearly Valk inspection to the list. I hope those who have one never see the paint problem come up though. :)

I think something is wrong with the checkout page. It gives me an error about Ship Date must be within the next three days.

Edit: Tried it again today and it went through.

Edited by dapro

ok you guys realize the bulk of the main body color of yamato vf-1 valks is just bare plastic right...no paint to remove. The stripes and details and tampos are obviously paint but the main body, underwing areas etc aren't painted. so for example, unless gakken is putting the tips on the yellow or black paint or any tampo on the low viz vf-1 isn't never going to be an issue.

Edited by Mechapilot77

ok you guys realize the bulk of the main body color of yamato vf-1 valks is just bare plastic right...no paint to remove. The stripes and details and tampos are obviously paint but the main body, underwing areas etc aren't painted. so for example, unless gakken is putting the tips on the yellow or black paint or any tampo on the low viz vf-1 isn't never going to be an issue.

I have an MPC Alpha sitting on one of my FP stands, with tips contacting the painted parts of the leg assembly. It's been nearly a year and no problems, so I feel confident in saying that it's probably safe.

And I think it's been a given in these discussions that the Yamato VF-1 was not a concern for precisely the reason you mention. I think most people who have chimed in were using these with Bandai valks or non-SDFM/DYRL valks that have painted sections that typically contact the tips.

For me it happened on the clear plastic piece painted red on the leg (the other leg has that piece painted blue) on the Roy VF-1S 1/60 v2 (first release). The one spoke of the stand was making partial contact with the red piece, the other two the bare white underside. Only the red striped off.

One guy posted that it removed the grey off a 1/48 low viz 1. Even posted the pictures. I'm not sure if the Low Viz was completely painted in grey rather than molded in that color.

I never had an issue with a Bandai valk so far. I have a VF-25G v1 sitting on one for over 2 years.

Still these stands are too scary to chance on expensive valks IMO.

Edited by Sandman

Honestly, these stands are inexpensive so if anyone has concerns about the tips, they should just buy one to test it out. Put a cheap toy you don't care too much about on the stands and you have your answer. These stands are so cheap, and choices for display stands are pretty limited, so I think it's worth it to spend a few bucks to at least test the thing out and figure out whether it's a long-term solution for you. Worst-case scenario, you find out the tips eat paint and you're down $10 plus shipping and one expendable toy. Best-case scenario, the tips work fine and you save a lot of money and headache trying to track down Yamato launch arms.

• 2 weeks later...

" I think most people who have chimed in were using these with Bandai valks or non-SDFM/DYRL valks that have painted sections that typically contact the tips."

That statement is quite untrue. I had it happen on my 1/60 v2 VF-1S Roy and another person had it happen to the 1/48 Low vis version 1. We both illustrated that with pics. I would just say to make sure you don't rest painted surfaces on the stand and if it's resting on bare plastic, check out the valk every now and again for greasy looking circles where it rested on the stand. I think even the old version stand used to leave small black circles when the valk was left there too long for some users.

I placed white medical tape over the tops of mine and after a year on display they are fine. This is after I had the same bare tips eat a 1-A of mine. Not only did the medical tape stop the damage, but the medical tape is also textured and maintains the traction you need on the valk to keep it from slipping off. (get the athletic medical tape because it has the texture on it) I cut circles out of the tape and placed it over the tips.

The same tape they wrap around sprain ankle?

sreichma, can you take a picture? A picture is worth a million words they say. :D

Edited by dapro