FlightPose display stands..

spanner

That's not a bad idea. I had settled on placing bits of paper over the tips on mine which works, but kind of looks ugly.

Whatever substance was used seems rather unstable or something. The feet on the stands are made of the same stuff and they fuse themselves to glass too. One time I tried to pick up a stand that had been sitting in the display case for a while and the whole glass shelf came up with it. Wouldn't be a bad idea to put it over the feet of the stands as well.

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I have been using the FP stands for a while now and so far no paint damage issues.. B))

I wonder if weather conditions would play a part in people experiencing problems? I think I read somewhere that the early version of these stands with the black tips caused a few issues.. leaving black marks.. ?

I am experimenting with a 6" stand with my 25A. That plane is currently top coated with matt finish and when I leave it overnight, I can lift the plane and the whole stand will be lifted as well :lol:

The stand will separate after a few second but I notice that there are now glossy mark under the plane, small but it is there.

Now imagine leaving it on the flightpose stand for months, or years.

Yeah, I remove the toy and returned them to Bandai Stand in the mean time while I figure things out.

I used a dremel with a cutoff wheel..

Thanks for saying the tools you used but I dont have any powered tool at the moment. :(

Anyway, I will look for one if I knew someone that have one.

I actually have a plan to have all of my Valks coated in matt or satin finish.

I mentioned this earlier, but foam rubber cabinet bumpers (little hexagon-shaped self adhesive pads) work great in place of the clear silicone rubber caps. They are also quite cheap, and available at any big home improvement store. The only down side is that I can only find them in a brownish color, but they are so small they don't really show - just barely larger than the face of the post.

I mentioned this earlier, but foam rubber cabinet bumpers (little hexagon-shaped self adhesive pads) work great in place of the clear silicone rubber caps. They are also quite cheap, and available at any big home improvement store. The only down side is that I can only find them in a brownish color, but they are so small they don't really show - just barely larger than the face of the post.

Like these?

http://www.amazon.com/Cabinet-Door-Bumper-Sheet-Brown/dp/B00FDX7840

I have a few of the flightpose stands that I set aside because I noticed the "polishing" effect of the clear silicone caps on painted surfaces. It would be nice to put them back into service with better pads.

Like these?

http://www.amazon.com/Cabinet-Door-Bumper-Sheet-Brown/dp/B00FDX7840

I have a few of the flightpose stands that I set aside because I noticed the "polishing" effect of the clear silicone caps on painted surfaces. It would be nice to put them back into service with better pads.

Those bumpers are the exact ones.

I clamped a Toynami tailfin between a couple for a month to make sure they wouldn't eat the paint on a figure I care about, and have been using them everywhere since. They mold pretty nicely to whatever you set on them, and I suppose could be stacked for greater padding if desired.

• 4 months later...

For anyone that still cares about the reactivity of the rubber tips with plastic --

While moving around toys in my display, I recently handled my Yamato Roy VF-1S and removed it from the Flightpose stand it had been resting on. I'd say it's been sitting on there in fighter mode undisturbed for the better part of a year at least. Since the parts contacting the rubber tips are molded in TV white plastic with no paint, there's no paint damage to speak of, but I did happen to notice that there were three oily, filmy spots at the locations where the rubber tips of the stand were contacting with the toy -- specifically, the area right in front of the head near the landing gear, and on the left and right kneecaps. There's definitely some kind of reaction and/or decomposition going on when the rubber tips contact with the plastic long-term. FWIW.

Based on a lot of the anecdotal evidence from this thread, it seems the issue with the tips is really dependent upon which release of the stand you bought. My guess would be that there was a batch of the stands that were sold a couple of years back that used a different or lesser quality grade of rubber than the factory used in other runs. There's clearly a subset of owners out there that are experiencing issues, whereas the rest seem to be fine. In any case, I only brought it up in case people thought they were ok after leaving their toys on the stands for a few months and didn't bother to check. It seems that even if you don't see anything after a month or two, degradation is still possible over a long period of time. Just an FYI, that's all.

I currently have 22 flight pose stands and still haven't had any issue with them. Aside the early black tip stands, I think environmental factors are more the issue when it comes to sticking tips.. I did notice that once a while back but it didn't damage the paintwork so I never gave it any further thought. And I have now a better control over humidity and temps than I did previously which im sure helps reduce the potential of sticking issues immensely.

Alright, I checked my three flight stands. There are a little oil or moisture on the plastic on 2 of the 3 stands. I wiped it clean and it seem to not affect the plastic, but maybe I should look into another stand to be safe?

• 3 weeks later...

Just went and checked my Arcadia YF-19 which has been sitting on a FP stand pretty much since I got it and there is no paint damage or sticking issues.

Also lifted off a few other Valks which are sitting on FP stands and no other issues there either..

@Xigfrid.. what is your climate like? Im thinking the issue may arise from high heat & humidity environments..?

Edited by spanner76