1:1 Scale Macross Zero Flight suit.

505thAirborne

• 4 weeks later...

Right now I'm working on the shoulder pads. I'm thinking about going all out and having them light up with yellow EL lights. I'm going to have transparent yellow plastic over top of that to diffuse the light. Should be worth it for the convention raves ;)

• 2 months later...

Okay, so this is still a WIP, but it's starting to look like a legit Macross helmet...

However, I gave it a few DYRL design cues to go along with the Zero aesthetics because...That's how I roll? More to come as I work on it!

post-18937-0-50502100-1390720486_thumb.jpg

Okay, so this is still a WIP, but it's starting to look like a legit Macross helmet...

However, I gave it a few DYRL design cues to go along with the Zero aesthetics because...That's how I roll? More to come as I work on it!

Outstanding!! Is that a scratch build or a Motorcycle helmet underneath? How are the shoulder boards coming along? B))

There's Motorcycle helmet under all that craft foam and stuff, but hey, I've got a budget ;)

As far as the shoulder rig is going, one side is done. I can't afford to put lights in it now, so for now, they are just painted yellow. I'll post pics when completed :D

Here's a better view of the skull atop the helmet.

post-18937-0-50083900-1390888889_thumb.jpg

Edited by Falconkpd

• 3 weeks later...

There's Motorcycle helmet under all that craft foam and stuff, but hey, I've got a budget ;)

As far as the shoulder rig is going, one side is done. I can't afford to put lights in it now, so for now, they are just painted yellow. I'll post pics when completed :D

Here's a better view of the skull atop the helmet.

Any chance you can send me a PM of what type of Craft foam & materials you used for your helmet? Every time I am at the Hobby shop I'm at starring materials and wondering.... "Which one to use?" My Roy Focker Helmet needs some serious upgrades! B))

LED's down the road for sure.

Edited by 505thAirborne

I'm just now catching this. Great looking getups guys! 505th - if you take and get your foam to shape, you can cover it with fiberglass sheet strips. You can then use super glue (with foam proof accelerator). It will be tough and without the stink and mess of resin. More glue and sanding with primer will give you a smooth surface. Its an old R/C boat trick. - MT

Any chance you can send me a PM of what type of Craft foam & materials you used for your helmet? Every time I am at the Hobby shop I'm at starring materials and wondering.... "Which one to use?" My Roy Focker Helmet needs some serious upgrades! B))

LED's down the road for sure.

The best foam to use for this kind of thing is actually that thick foam padding for gym floors. You can get it at Sports Locker for like, $30 USD per pack. It's really strong and works well with hot glue. What you do is mold it with a hair dryer or heat gun. It works wonders for a decent price!

By the way, I finished my shoulder pads with my ejection rig. They don't light up, but they look pretty damned good in my opinion. I'll post the completed costume sometime later tonight :D

ZzGlaf0.jpg

Edited by Falconkpd

Dude, this has turned out amazing. The detail and design looks so cool. It feels real, yet sci-fi at the same time. And the helmet is beyond awesome!

Btw, you also look good in the costume. I don't mean to offend anyone, but it's always nice to see cosplay by someone that isn't horribly overweight. Helps suspension of disbelief :)

Dude, this has turned out amazing. The detail and design looks so cool. It feels real, yet sci-fi at the same time. And the helmet is beyond awesome!

Btw, you also look good in the costume. I don't mean to offend anyone, but it's always nice to see cosplay by someone that isn't horribly overweight. Helps suspension of disbelief :)

Thank you for the kind words! 505th and I seem to be going about this in a few different ways, I've noticed. I've taken a few canonical liberties in the flight suit, having gotten an actual MA-2 ejection harness whereas he's making something more akin to what you see on screen. It's been fun building this thing alongside him.

That is one very outstanding Zero Uniform, I am very impressed how awesome (Not good) but awesome it looks. I'm a bit behind on mine right but hopefully soon!

We need a pic of you with the helmet on for full effect! B))

I'm glad you like it! I would've done a bad ass picture with the helmet on, but to be honest, it really doesn't look that great on me. It's got DYRL? proportions and looks WAY too big on my head, I'm afraid. I'm gonna go back to the drawing boards and maybe even convert this helmet to a DYRL? one before going back and making a new Zero helmet :D

Edited by Falconkpd

• 6 months later...

Between working to much and other hassles I've finally had a chance to work on my Zero Uniform again, getting my new Flight Helmet was a huge plus! Just waiting for my Shoulder Patches to arrive and its pretty much ready to go, as well as repainting the Helmet to look like Shin's! B))

I tried to keep as close to the OVA style as possible but also giving it that real world look as well. I might redo the Black & Yellow shoulder boards as they look more like the DYRL style vs. Zero, what do you guys think?

post-6180-0-10224600-1410662390_thumb.jpg

post-6180-0-78477400-1410662401_thumb.jpg

post-6180-0-89467700-1410662407_thumb.jpg

post-6180-0-18958500-1410662425_thumb.jpg

post-6180-0-93443400-1410662432_thumb.jpg

Between working to much and other hassles I've finally had a chance to work on my Zero Uniform again, getting my new Flight Helmet was a huge plus! Just waiting for my Shoulder Patches to arrive and its pretty much ready to go, as well as repainting the Helmet to look like Shin's! B))

I tried to keep as close to the OVA style as possible but also giving it that real world look as well. I might redo the Black & Yellow shoulder boards as they look more like the DYRL style vs. Zero, what do you guys think?

I see you snagged one of the Masei helmets! Very cool, man. I'm working right now to build my next flight suit; the one from Do You Remember Love? for Macrossworld con. Your flight suit looks GREAT!

• 1 month later...

Here we go; here's a good shot of my entire flight suit, complete with wig. The beautiful young lady on the right would be my girlfriend, cosplaying as a VF-1S. In the middle is some random guy who wanted a pic with us...I think his name was Tenjin?

10177514_10152789251164116_8298142463130

It's actually Tenjin's garage kit he released last wonderfest ^^

I thought that looked like the Wonderfest kit, all the way around your DYRL uniform came out great! Any pics of you with your helmet on?

One step closer with my Helmet, since I knew I wasn't going to make the Con, just been taking my time with it now.

post-6180-0-65604800-1415589408_thumb.jpg

I thought that looked like the Wonderfest kit, all the way around your DYRL uniform came out great! Any pics of you with your helmet on?

One step closer with my Helmet, since I knew I wasn't going to make the Con, just been taking my time with it now.

Looks awesome!

I never took a pic with my helmet on because I was wearing the wig the whole time and the helmet would mess it up :/ Maybe I'll kit up again sometime and put it on.