Whats your 1 wish for Arcadia

Faisaijin

I think a lot of missteps added up over time + the global dump. It might not even have been that bad.. but you gotta think when they are making those giant Votoms that probably aren't selling super well... something isn't adding up. Plus they had their hands in diecast robots and other lines.

Agreed with that. There was *this one time when I thought Yamato = big toys. The votoms, 1/48 VF-1, etc2 .. those were big at that time.

But what puzzled me was why Yamato failed to capitalize on the Zero market when the OVA was out, which spanned over 2 years between 2002-2004?

They could have temporarily freeze/scaled-down the VF-1 productions, and focused on producing the VF-0's when the market was still hot. It is not until 2006 that we 1st saw the VF-0S & they were actually still working on the 0D sometime before they went kaput ... which means, their timing was way off and they missed the ride.

Producing toys for an OVA that was aired 2 years ago wasn't a smart thing to do, considering the plethora of animes and mangas that were/are pouring out into the market those and these days. In fact it wouldn't be too far fetched to say that their sale numbers may have come primarily from die hard fans, rather than the general public who've seen M-Zero. I mean, who cares about an anime that ended with flower-looking aliens, destroying state-of-the-art military equipments that was aired two years ago, unless you're fan-atics (hey, look at us :p ).

This, and being too aggressive in producing toys for obscure shows (I remembered they released some other mechas too before), while also producing low quality non-transforming vinyls (GNU-what?) instead of focusing on what's hot, may have caused Yamato's demise.

Edited by aaajin

Gotta disagree on the GNUs...I thought they were pretty good quality but the initial price was too high. Plus they were ABS and POM plastic (not vinyl). Got me a whole bunch of em on discount for army building and customizing so there's that B))

Edited by xrentonx

Gotta disagree on the GNUs...I thought they were pretty good quality but the initial price was too high. Plus they were ABS and POM plastic (not vinyl). Got me a whole bunch of em on discount for army building and customizing so there's that B))

sorry for the misinformation. never owned one, so I thought theyre vinyls! Yeah, high price for poseable non-transforming figure is a bummer...

I don't know about crap but they were very poorly executed. Going against the Revoltech line they should have known how high the articulation bar was going to be set but they floundered. The later release of super parts with upgrades to the base toy's articulation was definitely a head scratcher. I get milking ever dollar out of the 1/60 toys but trying to stick people for extras for the action figure sized toys? Bad show. They should have spent more time with the prototypes, upgraded the articulation before release, and then given us the tiny super parts right off the bat (Kaiyodo did). Kaiyodo also gave us a display stand and special effects. I think what it really came down to though was that Kaiyodo was producing MacPlus toys for the Revoltech line so Yamato should have just known better than to try to compete in a market that probably isn't crazy robust in the first place.

Someone referenced the Votoms toys earlier. I'm a big Votoms fan but I agree, that was definitely another misstep. Again, Yamato took up a license that didn't have a robust market but did have a big fish (TakaraTomy) already in the pond. Like the GNU, Yamato tried to be the premium player niche in an already niche market and didn't bring a dominant enough product. They really needed to invest in painting on some details on the exteriors of those toys. The arms and hands were also poorly designed and implemented. It was definitely a more premium product than the DMZ toys but not enough to warrant the huge mark-up and the DMZs popped more with much better paint. Another random thought, they really should have released a "Purple Bear Conversion Kit" to sell more Meliqua colored dogs and a "Marshy Dog Conversion Kit" to sell more of the standard or red shoulder dogs. I'm guessing they didn't because they figured they might make stand alone versions of those ATs one day but instead they just let those dogs become shelf-warmers.

So Mommar, I assume you don't own a single DX release? Avoiding toys with potentially loose joints is actually a brilliant way to keep spending in this hobby in check since I can only think of a few releases where that hasn't been a complaint.

I own all four of the renewal Valks. The left leg on my 25G has become loose after sitting on it's stand and I'm not happy about that at all. I know once you've owned something anything can start to wear and get weak but I'd heard out of the package the torso adjustment on the Destroids was flopy, that's the only reason why I didn't buy one. I can't back out of the renewals now though, I already own all of them.

Guest davidwhangchoi

a person (maybe from here?) asked if Mr. K is planning to release a virgin road vf-1d and he said "he doesn't think at the moment. please understand"

looks like the rare birds will still be rare

Edited by davidwhangchoi

a person (maybe from here?) asked if Mr. K is planning to release a virgin road vf-1d and he said "he doesn't think at the moment. please understand"

looks like the rare birds will still be rare

dammit, that is one i was hopeing for. i rationaized at the time i alraedy had a vf-1d AND a max vf-1j so i had both the color scheme and the mold. :-P eithe rway i guess i don't miss it much but thinking about it now like its not really available makes me want it more. we always want what we cannot (reasonably anyway) have. haha

Arcadia is playing it smart.

If they said they will release a VF-1D Virgin Road or VT-1 Super Ostrich would most people have bought a VF-1S reissue with a stand and waterslide decals? would people double or triple dip on the v2 YF-19??

They are keeping things nice and quiet so people won't skimp on some releases for what they really want.

Edited by Valkyrie addict

Good wishlist but I think thats more relevant on the Bandai side though. Cant see Arcadia doing either of those on the near future.

You are right close, because they are not going to do it, this is why I wish them to do it (Even though I know they probably won't make them). But for the re-issues, they already have the line since Yamato, I would say that is want, rather than wish. The chances to have re-issues for existing VFs are greater than the new issue for a brand new line of Battle Frontier or Battle Galaxy. :) Well, keep wishing, but I know it won't happen. >.<

Is it a V2 or V1? The V1s definitely yellowed badly.

V1. I have another brand new one in the closet. Those were way overpriced when they camoe out. I think I paid $80 shipped form Robozone and the second one I got was only $25 shipped on ebay BNIB... Waste of 80 bucks though, not a waste of 25 in the end. I wonder if anyone would buy the valk off me if I tried to sell it. I have box manual all for it. I just don't need to keep a valk with one yellow wing :/ I guess I could probably take it apart and repair it though.

Well.. All I want is a re-issue for the VF-1D, this time in a weathered paint version and with articulated Hikaru pilot and Minmay, both capable to depict more accurate "Iconic poses", you know the ones with Hikaru trying to enter the cockpit ant the other with Minmay in the Valk hand...Like this..post-28799-0-23275100-1390953734_thumb.pngpost-28799-0-82480200-1390953782_thumb.jpg

Well.. All I want is a re-issue for the VF-1D, this time in a weathered paint version and with articulated Hikaru pilot and Minmay, both capable to depict more accurate "Iconic poses", you know the ones with Hikaru trying to enter the cockpit ant the other with Minmay in the Valk hand...Like this..attachicon.gifep2_hikaru_rescues_minmay1.pngattachicon.gifmc45_cover.jpg

like this!!

MacrossToyPics099.jpg

MacrossToyPics134.jpg

haha, custom by EXO

Edited by KiriK

Weird considering how it always sells out quickly. Seems like an easy money maker for them.

Yep..I tried to pre-order on the last re-issue in 2012, when suddenly they went sold out, then, I knew Yamato was not even able to cover all pre-orders so I also wonder if Yamato-Arcadia really knows fans preferences, if they did, they could sell sweet & easy..

Guest davidwhangchoi

or just the opposite, they made a small count knowing not a lot of people will buy them. and made sure they don't over produce these to go on clearance. i think they were around for a few months before they were gone. i know i didn't preorder but was able to get one for about 115 plus shipping = 130 bucks. i doubt it will sell well compared to a main hero valk as roy's vf-1s.

same for the virgin road 1d. that wasn't a big seller and stayed in the bargin bin and didn't sell out till much much later. once it was gone prices rose making it rare and desirable. i would say the same goes for the most sought after valk at the time, the ve-1 once that was re-released, that was around for quite a while and is finally now starting to rise in pricing since it's getting harder to find.

Edited by davidwhangchoi

I don't think the average casual collector will buy a VF-1D. A funky orange Valk that was only in a few episodes.

Most people want a Roy or a Hikaru if they dip their feet in from another line like Transformers or something.

Luckily most Macross fans are fanatical, and everybody loves flying jets.

Keep in mind we are a vocal minority of the hardcore collector, and not a good slice of what sells and makes money.

There's far more interesting designs. Personally if they don't produce some new schemes wether it's Hasa' designs, or something else.

I'm going to get bored real quick. Honestly, I think reissues are just keeping the boat afloat.

I'm not re-buying valks that were on clearance simply because they are a lighter shade of white.

Max and Miriyia.. Sure, but after that, it's new design time. It's a shame that the D is in the backlist.

Hell, just producing some interesting 2 seat designs would be nice.

No idea why we don't have just a simple dark grey, low-Viz, or standard aircraft grey release.

Customizer's dream.

Speaking of hardcore/vocal minority, I'd also love to see Arcadia release a set of Max and Milia VF-1A's from the arcade game;

attachicon.gifep24_max_blue.png

attachicon.gifep24_milia_red.png

Those would be (2 more) holy-grails for me.

-b.

What was weird about that scene was that they started out in 1As, but at the end when Max's pilot pops out of the battroid's head, you can clearly see that he's in a 1J.