im a noob macross collector

goobahead1

is there any teams of macross that operate from a larger macross base like the below

from zoids

main members liger zero, shadow fox, gun sniper supporting members raynos mobile base cargo bay

or power rangers

the primary colors zords and not primary color zords plus giant multi color base

etc etc etc

just watch the show. that will help.

youtube.com/watch?v=iQy6Ee3Zknc

Edited by cyde01

is there any teams of macross that operate from a larger macross base like the below from zoids main members liger zero, shadow fox, gun sniper supporting members raynos mobile base cargo bay or power rangers the primary colors zords and not primary color zords plus giant multi color base etc etc etc

While the show is fantastical it tends to deal in relative realism. It doesn't go for the Super Robot style where robots come out of robots and that combine together to become other, more giant robots. These are military vehicles. An F-22 Raptor isn't going to join together with an F-1 Abraham and become some other giant vehicle. Nothing like that happens in Macross. At best there are specific pieces of extra armor that can be applied to the VF-1 and VF-25 that make them look bigger and more mean but that's it.

ugh... just watch it already... the macross IS the super huge base. it's like an aircraft carrier that can fly in space. there are also "teams" of space fighter jets that take off from the macross. these jets are called "valkyries" and can transform into 3 different modes. got it?

For reference, the original show is about Humans coming together to fight an alien threat. The Human military goes by U.N. Spacy (which is sort for United Nations Space Navy... I believe.) The main capitol ship is a "Macross" Class Carrier called the SDF-1. The Fighters it launches are referred to as Valkyries (the various VF-1, 17, 22 etc... we have been referencing are all Valkyries.). In terms of toys there's only ever been two capitol ships that have been made in recent times. The Movie edition (from Do You Remember Love) SDF-1 and the Frontier from Macross Frontier (which is also a "Macross" Class Carrier.) Both of these capitol ships do transform from a Cruiser to "Attacker" mode which is humanoid in shape. The SDF-1 will be out of your price range. I think it's still possible to buy a Frontier but it will consume most of your birthday money. The Frontier has more bang for you buck in terms of poseability and fun, but neither give much bang for your buck.

ok sorry i for being repetitive. i couldnt find the series on youtube and didnt know about the movie so i just gave up.

i mentioned in my intro i have autism so partly because of that i am not good in unfamiliar social situations like a macros forum.

btw my browser is parentally locked so i cant go to a website unless my parents add that to my list so most of the sites you mentioned to me like wiki are unaccesible

i was not meaning to spam and im sorry if i did but dont worry thougth ill learn to be a better poster

Here's a link to a ongoing list of most/all Macross related high-end toys released so far that you should have no problem accessing since it's within this very site:

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=29393

And one with Macross toy related questions and answers:

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=33093

And here is where you can find info on the franchise as a whole:

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showforum=2

Edited by mechaninac

ok sorry i for being repetitive. i couldnt find the series on youtube and didnt know about the movie so i just gave up.

this is a link to the movie on youtube. copy then paste it to your address bar. things will make a lot more sense if you watch it.

youtube.com/watch?v=iQy6Ee3Zknc

You guys do realize that his parents have content blockers on his web browser and you're directing him to a video that contains pretty graphic violence and some nudity right? Besides, DYRL does a HORRIBLE job explaining anything.

For noobs:

the only teams you should care about collecting are skull team. These are the "heroes" of the macross series from the original tv show.

Roy Focker - big brother and cocky fighter jock who teaches the main character about war and the reason for the transforming robot mode of the VF-1 Valkyrie which is a secret until the earth is first attacked by the giant aliens. Pilots the VF-1S and test piloted the original Valkyrie and acts like a dick sometimes when drunk.

Hikaru - stunt pilot who is equally cocky but insecure at shooting others. Torn between chasing a girl and defending the giant ship the Macross which he is stuck on after the initial alien invasion that started the human vs alien space war. This is the main character and the focus of the original tv series. Events are centrered around this one guy and we see what it is like to experience the war from the perspective of this character who has no knowledge of the military planes. (this gives the audience an introduction to the transformation of the VF-1 to help us understand the real purpose of it)

Max - humble character that has high skill but eventually becomes a main character in later series

Kakizaki - not as skilled as the other guys but does his best to keep up and gets himself into trouble (usually the least popular character in terms of sales lol) Think of him like Slippy from the "Star Fox" games. Hikaru has to babysit him and watch that he doesn't screw up..

Milia - I won't spoil it but she is a main character later on. She is an ace pilot that does all the special ops for the aliens.

When you buy your toys look for the name of the character and see if you can get all the guys within the skull squadron as a start. They are easiest to obtain since they are canon to the original story. There are lesser known characters that might have appeared in games or OVAs but these will be the harder to obtain stuff given that they didn't get as much exposure as tv series characters.

The reason a noob should start with SDFM is because it was where it all began. And there are a lot of toys released from that one series so it shouldn't be hard to find stuff related to it.

Usually the most popular characters are the most desired but sometimes the rarity of a certain toy drives up demand for it just because it is hard to obtain so collectors buy those just to get everything.

The only time ships ever combine is when the deadalus and promethues are used as spare carriers to launch mecha from the SDF-1 but technically they don't combine by docking to the main ship (Macross).

Instead they become permanently attached to the ship itself and the whole things flies in space together as one big ship instead of three seperate ones.

At the very beginning of SDF Macross, you will see two big space carriers (ARMD 01 and ARMD 02) get slaughtered by the giant aliens and these were originally supposed to be combined to the SDF-01. But instead of that happening the Deadalus and Prometheus end up becoming the carriers as their replacement.

There was a later movie edition of the tv series released called "Do You Remember Love" where the humans have the ARMD01 and ARMD02 attached to the SDF01 but this is not considered how the real event played out but rather a hollywood movie re-imagining of the events of space war 1(not historically accurate within the macross universe). that people watched within the macross universe.

In later OVA like Macross Plus you actually see the ARMD01 and ARMD02 attached but I assume that is because humans just attached the new proper space carriers later after the space war was over, since at the end of the SDFM tv series, those two space carriers were destroyed.

There hasn't been a major war in macross since Space War I in SDF Macross. At the end of the tv series humans do not want to repeat the mistakes of previous cultures who wiped themselves out in wars so they focus on bringing peace and spreading humans onto as many livable worlds as possible. (which to me makes sense considered the earth just got destroyed and almost made humans extinct) It is believed that humans might have originated from "the Protoculture" (since we are exactly the same according to the alien giants) but it is considered a theory.

As the macross universe becomes fleshed out with new OVA and movies and tv series they add a little bit more but basically if we are "the protoculture" that the zentradi aliens fear to attack (or were mind controlled into never harming so that the original creators of the giants could keep themselves safe), then it stands to reason we undo the mind control of the giants who were only created for one purpose: fight wars and obey orders without question. This is the main theme of the singing which acts like a tool to bringing culture back to the giants who forgot their true origins and had lost it as mere mind-controlled tools of destruction. (or "Satan's Dolls" which is what one character likes to refer his race as)

Ironically the lack of understanding is actually the key to the giants defeat because the mind control they were given; which is to never harm the "protoculture" (human sized beings) becomes the last resort weapon to getting them to stop attacking. The pop idol's singing does play a part in it since they are aware of music making them feel good, and liking it, which turns them against their leaders who demand they just follow orders without questions, but without the fear of the "prophecy" (that bad things will happen to those who are exposed to protoculture/humans) the aliens would not hesitate so much in taking actions, and this becomes the basis for why some high-ranking zentradi defectors offer to aid the humans in the tv series, because they fear total destruction if they proceed to attack humans which is due to ignorance from the mind control the protoculture planted into them. The warrior alien race interpret destruction of their race as some kind of punishment from god, not because they were lied to by whatever religious leaders planted the fear in their heads through mind control and manipulation. But regardless of why they defected: once that control is broken, they are just like us humans again. They become us and we become them. Since all humans had fought bloody wars long before aliens accelerated the earth's destruction so we are not much different to them.

The tv series kind of reminds me a lot of "The Thing". (John Carpenter horror movie about an alien that shapeshifts into humans to disguise itself as one of us causing humans to get paranoid and fight each other thinking their own buddies are aliens) The theme being that we are "the thing" when we go and senselessly kill each other due to fear. :p

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

When you do find a particular Valkyrie that your fond of - you might want to ask some of the members here which one before shelling out your $200+ spending money. I would hate for you to spend that kind of money on your first Valkyrie and having a shoulder snap. Macross toys aren't quite designed like Transformers. Being very sleek and technical in design, you have to handle a Valkyrie softer than a baby on your lap. Some Valkyries made by Yamato had slight faults that make them fragile so handle with care my friend.