im a noob macross collector

goobahead1

like i said in my introduction im a transformer fan and know nothing about macross but people keep reccomending it to me to purchase. btw im an avid jet lover and transformer collector and these are transforming jet collectables so how bad can they be?

what i want in essence to know is what is macross? and if im going to be a macross collector what type should i be.

i like collecting but i also like playing with my collectables so when i buy something i want it to look cool and be well made but i also want it to be fun to play with and easy to make a storyline for.

Macross is an 80's anime that was used to make one of 3 parts of Robotech in the US, unlike transformer that's a kids show, Macross has a lot of mature tones and a very good story. The series has spawn many sequels but very easy to follow.

Start by watching "Super Dimensional Fortress Macross", it's the original series, you could youtube it or purchase the DVD/Blue Ray, avoid Robotech because the show made some slight changes to fit the other 2 unrelated stories. Get a hold of what Macross is before purchasing any collectable.

Start with watching the various Macross series and movies, see which ones resonate with you, then research the toys associated with the specific series you enjoy. If you end up liking them all, a prayer for your finances might also be helpful.

QFT! It's funny, I actually like all of the Macross Movies/Shows. I did hate Mac7 the first go, I think I made it 5 eps in and was like WTF!?!?! I decided to try it again later and actually decided to drop all expectation and just roll with it. I turns out I liked it too. I'm not a big fan of Macross II though. With that said I have turned in to a Mac Valkyrie freak and my wallet sure has felt it over the years. I started my collection back in '09 with the Yamato Mac+ YF-19 &YF-21 and have bought all of the releases except the weathered and a couple of non-cannon color schemes(YF-19 25th and YF-19 Bird of Prey). I skipped all of the V1 Bandai Macross Frontier valks as they just looked wrong to me. Bandai has caught me though with the Renewal releases and I have all of those so far + the YF-29 Alto and the 30th scheme.

like i said in my introduction im a transformer fan and know nothing about macross but people keep reccomending it to me to purchase. btw im an avid jet lover and transformer collector and these are transforming jet collectables so how bad can they be? what i want in essence to know is what is macross? and if im going to be a macross collector what type should i be. i like collecting but i also like playing with my collectables so when i buy something i want it to look cool and be well made but i also want it to be fun to play with and easy to make a storyline for.

Know the original Jetfire toy from the 80's?....That was based off of the original Macross perfect transformation toy from the early 80's sold by Takatoku Toys....

This site is probably the best for showcasing the original Takatoku Macross line from the early 80's (BTW, Takatoku went out of business by 1984):

http://www.toyboxdx.com/datafiles/data/takatoku2/macross1.php

Flash forward 3 decades and you find Yamato...the company that resurrected the Macross perfect transformation valkyrie and arguably mastered their design and production (Incidentally, Yamato also went out of business....see a pattern?...actually, they have risen once again from the ashes as Arcadia....it is widely anticipated that they will continue the line where Yamato left off)....this is the best site to find out everything you would want to know about Yamato Macross toys...

http://anymoon.com/blog/

Also...Bandai has always been there producing Macross toys here and there...but only until recently, have they paid more attention to their Macross licenses....you can also find out info about Bandai Macross toys on the Anymoon website......

Welcome to Macross collecting.......it's gonna be a wild ride! ^_^

Best advice I can give you is Collect what really turns you on. Don't try to buy every valk under the sun.

Also, be patient. Good deals are out there if you work for them.

And have deep pockets! haha

I use to be an avid transformer collector and liked Macross. I switched over to all Macross last year and have not looked back. I still buy transformer MP's and a few 3rd party stuff but I love Macross toys more. It's the whole appeal of fighter planes and robots. The best combo since chocolate and peanut butter.

You don't really have to watch the various Macross anime shows to start collecting. For me it helps to get a more personal relationship with the toys. For example I think the VF-22S has a horrid Gerwalk- (to speak in Transformers therms: an in between mode from aircraft to robot) and Battroid-mode (the robot mode) but since It is piloted by the best Valkyrie (the jets) pilot ever Captain Maximilian Jenius I really like it beyond my appreciation for it's engineering and the sleek Fighter- (alt mode) Mode.

However if you like realistic looking jets that transform into sometimes bulky sometimes lanky looking mechas with almost no gabs that don't have a robot hanging on the underside of the plane (like say RotF Jetfire or G1 Dreadwing) there is something to find for you here. My advice would be to go over to http://www.macross2.net/m3/m3.html look up the links for the various incarnations of Macross-mechas (skip Games, Macross 2 and For Fans Only because it is unlikely to find toys of the Valkyries listed there) and see if you like any of the designs. Then go out on ebay and hunt them down or ask in the forum where you can buy on of those because some are still available even with a discount.

Be aware that Valkyries are a little bit more delicate collectibles than Transformers. Think of a collection of MP Rodimus version 1 without the chance of ever getting a replacement part ever. Also some toys that are white get yellow pretty easily and some disintegrate even if they are stored in boxes. It's not like the Transformers line where most of the stuff you can buy are kids toys and therefore are pretty durable and cheap. In my Masterpiece and third party collection there is nothing like my Valkyries (Masterpiece Rodimus and MMC Cyclops come close). I'm not saying you can't play with them but you have to be careful. Some people shed blood while handling their toys. :D

If you are a anime fan and like j-pop than I would recommend to watch some Macross anime. If you don't like long series I would start with Macross Plus (available as movie or OVA) or Macross Frontier (25 episodes and two movies where the first movie is a compilation of the tv-show). Macross Frontier is the newest show so you have good animation (if the 80s style is not your thing). Many forum members will tell you that you have to have in depth knowledge of the Macross universe to enjoy the show but I say it is a great show without any background information. If you are more familiar with Macross down the road you can always come back and watch it again.

So go find a Macross toy that you think looks cool, track it down and see if you enjoy it. Be aware it can be addictive! :)

Oh and you should watch a transformation video of your first Valkyrie very very closely. You don't want to break your first high end collectible Macross toy don't you.

Check out the video reviews and transformation guides from some of the fellow board members:

VF5SS at: http://collectiondx.com

jenius at: http://anymoon.com

UN Spacy at: http://www.youtube.com/user/pinoi78

If you know peaugh from the TFW2005 boards he also did a few Macross reviews.

Happy collecting!

[edit: ] Oh and be prepared to import toys to you since you can't buy them in stores. :D

Edited by Scyla

@ultraman zoffy thanks for the idea

@valkirye addict thanks for the backround

@loop nice advice

@skullmilitia haters gonna hate

@jvmacross i knew about jetfire thanks for the links and info

@valky-001 thats what ive come to find out if it is worth it

@silentcrosshairs thanks for the welcome and info

@dapro that sounds fun

@mechanic lol

@TCracker i suppose so

@gakken85 thats usually what i do and i do have moderatly deep pockets

@valkirye magnus nice example but isnt it really expensive to pay for two collections?

@grymg wow dat price

@spacy is robotech really that bad?

@scyla i love anime long and short, youre right about the tv show increasing the relationship with the toys (i only collect my favorite characters vary really do i choose a toy that is not one of my favorites), i love rotf jetfire alt mode and hate robot kibble on jet modes but i can deal with minor kibble and all types of jets are cool (but my favorite is a stealth bomber), im from tfw so i know forums, delicate is a bit annoying but ill be careful and do you mean tney shed real blood?, whats k-pop?, i will watch transformation videos, i love video reviews and i do know peaugh.

thanks everyone for the replys!

Tricky question. I'm the odd duck who has knowledge of Macross from way back in the 80's from Robotech but who also doesn't like or watch Anime, past or present (including Macross) anymore. I also don't give a lick about needing a character to like in order to appreciate a design of a toy (though Maximilian Jenius was my favorite when I was a kid... I like the color Blue really.) So in my opinion you don't need to watch a single episode of any of the shows to like something but that seems completely counter to the way you do things.

One thing I would recommend is looking at a lot of the galleries of the toys themselves. Speaking of shedding blood, yes the VF-17 has such pointy bits it's possible to cut yourself (also, it's probably the closest to a Stealth Bomber you'll find in Macross that's been made into a toy.)

K-pop is Korean Pop, Scyla mention J-Pop which is Japanese Pop. A big part of Macross is music and it meaning something and having power over, well, everything. There's typically an epic war story, a love triangle and music. Super Dimension Fortress Macross (SDFM, the original show) has the most epic of the stories because the existence of the human race is on the line. I feel like it's the best in scope. SDFM feels laughably old between the animation and early 80's production on EVERYTHING. Other members of this forum would recommend Macross: Do You Remember Love as it's a shorter, better animated retelling of the TV series but I have no nostalgia for it, it really does a terrible job retelling the events of SDFM unless you've already seen SDFM. In terms of most impressive animation Frontier is your best bet. Frontier also apes a lot of SDFM so there's a bit of a connection there too, the stakes aren't nearly as high or interesting from my perspective. Plus is good, but if you're looking for epic storylines you won't find anything there. It's like they took EVERYTHING about SDFM and condensed it down to a personal story about three people really. Pretty distilled, but not what I would recommend for a person just getting into it, especially for a self-appointed lover of epic story lines.

I'm in it for the fighter/mech designs so my scope is very limited. I've never watched more than three episodes of Macross 7 and I own almost all of the Fighters from that line (in several cases completely unnecessary multiples.) Macross 7 has the most diversity in the look and number of the fighters, it's also the hardest series to watch IMO. For the most part they stay "real world" in terms of equipment so you're not going to find twenty unique transforming toys per series. The look for most of them will be determined by various weapon loud outs, super packs, armor packs, radomes, etc... and accompanying head variants based on the ranks of the characters piloting the craft. The approach to appreciation is a little different with Macross sometimes, the creator has a HUGE knowledge of aeronautical engineering so even his outlandish designs tend to incorporate real world concepts and ideas which a lot of us can appreciate. There are other toys, dolls, etc... for the various characters but I honestly know very little about that stuff.

Edited by Mommar

it was a typo when i typed k-pop and i am also a big lover of all things mech and robot (i build gundam and zoids and danball senkai models and im a tf fan) also i have 260 dollars for my birthday to spend on what i want i want to get into macross so is there any series of macross you guys would reccomend. i guess my next question is... what series is cool and good for display and well made but easy to play with like for example teams of macross, good guys, bad guys, squads, factions etc etc etc. my preffered location to purchase is ebay but if its cheaper i will go elsewhere

btw is there a central macross unit that i can buy to base my collection around?

and what is the meaning of each scale?

but im taking a break from models so no macross models please!

Edited by goobahead1

wait is that 1239 usd? i have 230 usd at most but i do want an awsome macross so any other ideas? personally i like the look of the yamato 7's so id like to collect those like i said my prefered method of purchase is ebay. also like i said before i want it to be fun playable and cool but mostly 230 or less so is there anything on ebay i could get? (i do like add-on sets)

Edited by goobahead1

ok btw should i not buy from ebay? because i hve 230 to 260 and would like two but if i can only get 1 im okay with that. theres an 80 dollar super pack for macross 7-vf-17 1/60th scale is that generic? or for a specific macross

Edited by goobahead1

In terms of enemy mecha, they've never sold well for Macross so you really don't see much of them. For the most part everything Macross is in 1/60 scale. You'll run across some older stuff in 1/55 or 1/65 scale but they're not modern toys. The Bandai hi-Metal 1/100's are relatively modern but are now defunct. Generally there's two (kind of three, more on that in a minute) companies putting out modern 1/60 scale Macross Items. Bandai deals almost exclusively in Macross Frontier. Yamato (now defunct) has put out Macross 0, SDFM, DYRL, Plus, and 7 stuff. Yamato doesn't exist anymore although their products (like the link to the VF-17) are still around and a new company called Arcadia has taken up the reins, it's almost all of Yamato's old employees anyway and they're continuing/updating lines started by Yamato. If it's confusing, no worries.

So the fighter types in Macross change per show. The "central" unit in SDFM is the VF-1S Roy type (four head lasers, Gold Stripe) or possibly the VF-1J (Hikaru version).

Macross Plus... people choose their favorite. There were only ever really three planes and two of them were pitted against each other. Some love the YF-19 some love the YF-21.

Macross 7, the central fighter is the VF-19 Kai ( I personally hate it and don't own one.)

Macross Frontier, the central fighter is the VF-25F. Good luck finding one of those. Bandai's production runs have been extremely difficult to manage.

If anything, overall the most definitive of all the Valkyries is the VF-1.

I would be surprised if you could find any of these toys for cheaper on ebay. Right now, also at HKCollectables, they have the VF-17 Super Parts available for $55.39... factor in shipping on both of the items however.

There have been two VF-17 releases so far, the VF-17S with the Gold Stripe and the big head with the four head lasers (Command model) like the toy at the HKCollectables link. The second is a VF-17D that has a white/blue-ish stripe and a different shaped head with two lasers. It's newer, more rare and a lot more expensive. That $80 Super Pack ($55 at HKC) you found on ebay will fit on both the VF-17S and VF-17D variations but it won't fit on any of the other Macross 7 (or any other Macross release) at all. There's a review by one of our members for the Super packs which also includes both the VF-17S and VF-17D wearing them plus a video of how they work and how to attach them. I disagree with his assessment of their value, I think they look exceedingly cool on my VF-17D, but that's for you to judge for yourself. http://anymoon.com/blog/?p=6784

FYI, Macross toys are a lot more expensive then you would be used to with Transformers. The group of collectors is smaller and the toys are more rare so that pushes the cost per item up.

FYI, number 2. This ebay listing here is likely one of the more popular Valks you would find from the original series. Roy's VF-1S. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamato-Macross-160-VF1S-Roy-Focker-w-30th-Option-Parts-Movie-Version-/290939821931

Edited by Mommar

The most iconic Valkyrie really is the VF-1 that's why it is in almost every Macross show. Also the VF-1S (with Fast Packs) was brought over to the states as G1 Jetfire. So I would say a VF-1S is a great way to link your Transformers collection to a Macross collection if you are familiar with G1 Jetfire and like the design. The problem is that Yamato went out of business so Yamato toys can be more expensive than they should be. If you like hunting stuff down you might get a good deal. They are out there you just have to be patient. In addition the VF-1S comes in several variants. There are three with a light gray color and yellow/red/blue trim (from DYRL?) one is white with yellow trim (from SDFM) and there is a low viz variant that has a dark gray color with yellow trim.

Also be aware that there are version 1 and 2 VF-1 toys. The version 2 toys are the ones to track down but they also come in various types and some have a shoulder assembly that is prone to breakage. Check out jenius site for more information. http://anymoon.com/blog/?p=4599

If you like the stealth fighter design (i.e. the F-117/F-22) the there are three toys you can get:

As said the VF-17S/F from Yamato are available at a discount but they have some shortcomings (like a gappy side profile in Battroid-mode) and cartoonish proportions that you have to like. The design is very reminiscent of the F-117

The VF-171 from Bandai is similar in design to the VF-17. They come in two variants one is white with red and black trim the other is a dark teal color. In my opinion they look more like a real piece of military hardware and less like an anime superhero so if realism is your thing check them out. The white one might be a little hard to get since they released it a while back. The teal one is available but has durability problems mainly in the shoulder assembly. Also they are kinda fiddly to transform even if you know the steps very well. The VF-17 is the more solid option here but you have to like the design.

The YF-21/VF-22S is based on the YF-23 from the fighter competition against the Raptor from Lockheed Martin. It has an great and sleek fighter mode but the Gerwalk- and Battroid-Mode have some odd proportions that you can only appreciate if you know the pilots and the story behind the design. The VF-22S has also a strange canopy. They where also made by Yamato and are sold out pretty much everywhere in normal online stores but you can find them if you look in the right spots. The YF-21 is only available in blue with yellow markings and the VF-22S where made as a black plane with yellow markings, a blue plane with white markings or a red one with white markings. Be aware that Yamato also made a YF-21 in the 1/72 scale but those are not the one you should buy if you like that mold.

No check the sources given to you in this thread and see what you like the most.

If you want the best Macross toy buy the 1/60 VF-19/S/F/K/P from Yamato.

Keep us updated if you buy one and share your impressions here on MW.

:)

ok btw should i not buy from ebay? because i hve 230 to 260 and would like two but if i can only get 1 im okay with that. theres an 80 dollar super pack for macross 7-vf-17 1/60th scale is that generic? or for a specific macross

i would avoid ebay. super packs are just add ons, the jet itself doesn't come with it. kind of a ripoff if you ask me for just add on parts, but hey i pre-ordered super packs for the vf-25g and after shipping it came to like $75 so i guess i shouldn't say anything. just avoid anything made by yamato that is 1/72 scale, and if you get a VF-1 make sure it is a version 2 and not a version 1. if you get a VF-25 make sure it is a renewal and not a version 1. and if you can't read japanese, watch the transformation guides on youtube like a hawk before you transform anything.

Edited by cyde01

best advice...check out anymoon.com for reviews of the toys. the most iconic valkyrie has to be the VF-1S with super/strike pack. It's Roy Focker's ride (and later Hikaru's) and he is basically a hero/martyr in the original series and the DYRL movie. I would say a close second would be Hikaru's original VF-1J as it spins across the end of the opening credits. Luckily the version 2 Yamato VF-1 line of toys is excellent. They were released starting in 2008/9 or so. again look to anymoon.com for reviews. They are quite playable....just don't ham fist them and you'll be fine. The only part that is even a little bit delicate is the shouler plate transformation but even that is quite robust with the newer releases. also, they hold poses great and gernally don't get loose unless you fiddle alot. There aren't a lot of rathettign joints but thankfuly the balance and weight of the thing don't require it.

if you like the newer stuff ...look for a VF-25 renewal from bandai. i think besides the vf-1, the vf-25 is most popular due to the recent popularity (2008-2011 tv sries and show) of macross frontier. mac 7, mac plus, and mac 0 stuff tends to be "harder core" collector oriented as they weren't nearly as popular as sdfm/dyrl or frontier.

Just get a VF-1S Roy Focker scheme 1/60 version 2 by Yamato if you can only get one. That's how I started. Unfortunately this hobby is an expensive one and most of the members here have jobs being in our 30's and 40's. Hope this doesn't discourage you though as we were all newbies in the beginning.

i have 230 usd to spend on ebay i want something to build my collection around so... i want it to be really cool and fun btw i have to buy from ebay i like figures with lots of weapons (like sniper rifles and swords for example)and have sleek jet modes and bulky bodys i also like evil mecha next i like blue, white and black bit red's cool two

but i think the easiest way for me to choose my figures would be if i watched the show so what show would you reccomend (that also has great toys/collectables)

Edited by goobahead1

i said in my intro im 16

welcome!!!

On tfw they did a survey recently, everyone (I mean EVERYONE) was like 32 or older. Makes sense because the cartoon was in the 80's, and most of the people that grew up in the 80's now have solid jobs to pay for this addictive hobby.

Edited by grymg