Arcadia YF-19 coming in 2014

SCOOPUDA!

I've got a comparison for you:

attachicon.gifSIDEBYSIDE_5.jpg

Thank you. Boy, I almost think the Yammie has better wings. Both still have the inner trailing edge shape quite off though and very similar to each other----maybe it's an impossibility to match the line-art while having it actually swing around into the glove for transformation?

In every other aspect, however, the Arcadia version is leaps and bounds superior to the Yamato one, which looks fat and arch-backed by comparisson...

I think the arc-backed look is is more of an illusion caused by the tapered black paint app behind the cockpit. If you cover that part of the pic that Reivaj posted with your fingertip, the whole fighter mode suddenly looks much more level.

As for the gullet, well, there's really no saving that. :lol:

I think the arc-backed look is is more of an illusion caused by the tapered black paint app behind the cockpit. If you cover that part of the pic that Reivaj posted with your fingertip, the whole fighter mode suddenly looks much more level.

As for the gullet, well, there's really no saving that. :lol:

No, it's there because the legs aren't actually in the correct alignment and the swoop in the body is practically non-existent. Plus there's the gullet and the fact the entire cockpit/nose section is pushed up instead of swooping back down.

Honestly, while this YF-19 looks good it's still a bit of an oddity because it has it's roots in the M7 version which is different in a lot more ways and it's been retooled to fit the YF-19 look instead. That top down shows how much more wide and squat the body is, but that lineart is kind of ridiculous with the tiny shield tucked in the back. In Battroid it would look comically small.

If you compare the side-view shot with the new loaded down one of the undercarriage you'll see just how much of an optical illusion that black side-gap is as well. It's barely noticeable from the side.

Now that Ive looked at the comparisons side by side, at least from the top view IMO the old yammy looks better.

Well thats a bummer since I was planning to pose ol 19 in battroid and new 19 in fighter for the weapon set.

Unless you're posing the new 19 in a way that you see it completely from the top-down how is it an issue?

IMO there is no way to get a transforming toy done that closes to the line art. The chest plate of the Yamato fighter is stretched while the back end looks close to the line art, the other way around for the Arcadia. The Arcadia has the front end proportion, but the feet is wide and stubby.

The Yamato version is optimized in long and sleeker Fighter mode, but skinny Battroid mode which is the other way around for this new Arcadia version.

The conclusion is no way you can change something in sleek mode into stubby mode without morphing it.

If anyone here has the know how, I'd love to see the top down line art of the YF-19 transposed over the Yamato toy and the Arcadia toy, just to see exactly how much the toys differ from the animation model's dimensions.

As already noted by Vi-RS, the YF-19's animation model doesn't translate exactly into real life, aka three dimensional space. There's "anime magic" at work that creates visual cheating in the animation. There is going to be a necessary compromise in the toy somewhere as far as likeness to the animation model goes.

If anyone here has the know how, I'd love to see the top down line art of the YF-19 transposed over the Yamato toy and the Arcadia toy, just to see exactly how much the toys differ from the animation model's dimensions.

As already noted by Vi-RS, the YF-19's animation model doesn't translate exactly into real life, aka three dimensional space. There's "anime magic" at work that creates visual cheating in the animation. There is going to be a necessary compromise in the toy somewhere as far as likeness to the animation model goes.

lpCKK5g.jpg

Edited by ChaoticYeti

Drawings vary a lot any way, I wouldn't get too hung up on minor line art variances.

Yes, cartoons are not real life. These figures have to account for physics.

Edited by ChaoticYeti

I for one wasnt trying to nitpick on the lineart accuracy, but my concerns are geared towards how *sleek* all three modes are designed and packaged in a single toy.

Of course there would be compromises between the three modes, but I dont think going for a stubby lower legs to make it more anime accurate, at the expense of making the fighter mode looks squashed at the rear and hollowing the lower knee area, is the right way to go. But again thats just me.

Regardless of what I said, I will try to pick one of these in the not too distant future to support the industry (been *picking* up valks, from where I left years ago...so will have to wait couple of months before getting this).

Anyways, looking good in battroid! Cheers :)

The chunky robot mode is for us fans of the chunky robot lineart.

I can understand people having issues with fighter but it's still overall a better toy than the old yammie.

Just as V2 1/60 VF-1 is overall better than the 1/48 "skinny girl arm and rat finger" VF-1 :p

I'll opt for a toy that actually locks the chest for one that flops about like crazy if you try to pick it up.

Sloppy effort for yamato that last time. And let's not forget the small gunpod. Way worse than the newer one.

Perhaps in another 5 years they will go back to skinny robot and sleek fighter proportions again to milk us of more money.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

No, it's there because the legs aren't actually in the correct alignment and the swoop in the body is practically non-existent. Plus there's the gullet and the fact the entire cockpit/nose section is pushed up instead of swooping back down.

My bad. Wasn't paying attention when I read mechaninac's post, and somehow misinterpreted "arch-backed" to mean that the back of the fighter is sitting higher than the front, as in not level.

That's really the entire problem with the old Yamato YF-19 honestly.. Yeah, the gullet could be slimmer, but that's not what throws the entire plane off. It's just that the nose is mounted at such an angle that it looks like the thing is sitting with its chin stuck in the air.

A little bit of tweaking can work wonders. I don't think the plane is ever going to sit level on the gear, unless they add another half inch to the front gear bay, but at least the plane itself can look aligned.

post-907-0-65189300-1389247888_thumb.jpg

Now that these are coming out, and I've got my 3d printer running, I think I'm going to take this mod to the extreme end, and see if I can't remake the nose section from scratch.

Edited by Chronocidal

Bit late here..That new prototype looks abit too light. I would've preferred the old first version. But it doesn't matter to me eitherway. It looks good still. Just 3 months till its release! :D

Edited by Falcon18

Holy shi*t we've come a long way :D

Yes we did. Imagine : before the era of Yamato, there were only Bandai and Toynami. Valks were scarce. MPC / Takatoku / Bandai were the holy grails. Not much options. I remembered browsing through ebay...looking at MPC line .. saw the valk *cockpit ladder & said : "Wow, this is a masterpiece". That's how bad it was.

Edited by aaajin

Actually Yamato beat the Toynami into the VF-1 market... but then again there were delays after delays for the MPC.

haha my bad. Maybe at that time I wasnt too impressed with the VF-1 Yamato removable legs...hence oogling of the MPC became quite a habit.

But damn those cockpit ladder was a premium at that time.

I know I drooled over the MPC a long time before I actually did some research, and discovered what Macross was. In fact, I think that's how I found this site to begin with. :p Fortunately, I started hunting right around the time the 1/48ths came out, so I got to jump in right at the start of Yamato's "golden age."

I just hope Arcadia can continue in the same tradition for a long time.

Edited by Chronocidal