Arcadia YF-19 coming in 2014

SCOOPUDA!

So pretty. ^_^

I think the intake lip on that one is quite a bit smaller than the original pics, it looks like the edges have been more blended. Honestly, that doesn't bother me quite as much as the gaps for the knee extensions, but even those blend in decently with the correct colors, so I'm not too concerned.

Now, the trick is going to be designing a stand clip to go around that big boxy back plate for fighter mode. :)

Guest davidwhangchoi

i'm cancelling all 4 of my preorders. i have two issues:

first, he took a photo covering up the one of the thick intake lip with the hand without the white glove.

second, that offensive fingernail on his pinky is too white and needs to be color corrected, it doesn't match with the rest of his fingers.

Love it with the full load out. I do think it would look better if the shade of the green were a tad darker but I'm really veering into begging/choosing territory with that. Only thing I don't understand is why they didn't color the knee covers the same as the rest of the tan plane. But I guess from a certain perspective it looks like a black band angled instead.

Edited by Mommar

It's a compromise done with the VF-19's for the chubbier legs to appear sleek in fighter mode but it was not too noticeable in the 19S/F/Kai due to their strong glossy color, the engineer carried over to the new YF-19 but it stands out cause of the color, as well as the fat intake lip.

It's a compromise done with the VF-19's for the chubbier legs to appear sleek in fighter mode but it was not too noticeable in the 19S/F/Kai due to their strong glossy color, the engineer carried over to the new YF-19 but it stands out cause of the color, as well as the fat intake lip.

I see. Owned a YF-19 before, but never owned a VF-19...so they did that for battroid looks. But again it makes one wonder (+Mommar) why they didnt mold the Lower knee cover in tan?

DSC01281.jpg

I see. Owned a YF-19 before, but never owned a VF-19...so they did that for battroid looks. But again it makes one wonder (+Mommar) why they didnt mold the Lower knee cover in tan?

DSC01281.jpg

The gap between the knee cab and leg is always black.

Probably because if you leave all the little pieces and details in the shadow they're less noticeable.

Probably because if you leave all the little pieces and details in the shadow they're less noticeable.

Exactly this. They aren't going to paint the metal sections of the joint tan, and that's mostly what you're seeing. The sliding cover only covers up the gap inside the knee, and if it were tan, it'd clash horribly.

While I think they may have gone overboard in the way they shorten the legs so much for battroid, it does make the legs look much closer to the animation. The result is just that, like the VF-17, the legs have to be made quite a bit longer for fighter mode to work correctly, and the knee joint is the best place to let that extension happen.

I'd always liked the old Yamato favouring the fighter mode above all else to make it look "right". I love the transforming ability of these babies, but I really admire the "sleekness" of the fighter mode the most and leave it there for the majority of the display time. Oh well, I guess its about time for the pendulum to start swinging the other way - sigh...

I'd always liked the old Yamato favouring the fighter mode above all else to make it look "right". I love the transforming ability of these babies, but I really admire the "sleekness" of the fighter mode the most and leave it there for the majority of the display time. Oh well, I guess its about time for the pendulum to start swinging the other way - sigh...

You say that as if they had started releasing valks that look horrible in fighter mode.

Exactly! But now I see a problem :

1) The old 19 does not have missles attachments on the wings, but looks better in fighter.

2) The new 19 have missles attachments, but looks better than the old 19 in battroid.

So what we have is :

Option A : To display new 19 wings armaments (sacrifices looks) : Display old 19 in battroid (looks worse than new sculpt) & Display new 19 in fighter (looks worse than old sculpt) and get to display the new weapon sets on the wings.

Option B : To display best-looking mode of each sculpt (sacrifices the weapons set) : Display old 19 in fighter without missles and new 19 in battroid (no missles)

And the best part is ... the solution :

SOLUTION : Buy 2 new YF-19's to display the new armaments and the improved battroid mode.

I smell a conspiracy. Now where did I put my tin hat?

Edited by aaajin

Are you sure the old one looks better in fighter mode? I don't think so.

Well not entirely. Maybe the new sculpt is better in fighter, but the way they pull off the solution for the lower knee cover is kinda cheap to me. But thats just me.

Either way, to display the new missiles and to display the better battroid mode, you just have to get 2 units :lol:

Are you sure the old one looks better in fighter mode? I don't think so.

From a top down view, the old one does seem to look better in fighter mode. To me, the whole rear section on this new one in fighter mode looks a bit fat. From the photos, it looks wider than the VF-19Kai I have.

Dunno, then again it could just be a photo angle perspective thing and it's better than the photos suggest.

From a top down view, the old one does seem to look better in fighter mode. To me, the whole rear section on this new one in fighter mode looks a bit fat. From the photos, it looks wider than the VF-19Kai I have.

Dunno, then again it could just be a photo angle perspective thing and it's better than the photos suggest.

Out of curiosity, I googled for YF-19 pics, and this one from anymoon shows that the Yammie YF-19 (from the top, at least) is near identical to the line art:

But there's no arguing that the Arcadia YF-19's neck is much prettier from the side.Yamato-172-YF19-4.jpg

Shape-wise, the old YF-19 really wasn't bad from that view.. or in general, really... It just had quite a few other problems that just piled onto the so-so shape, and helped to drag the design down.

Also, the reason that one works from the top view mostly? The legs may have been nice from the top, but just like the entire neck, they were inflated vertically. The entire plane looked like it was stretched in the vertical axis, and nothing lined up the way it should have.

The new legs are definitely wider than the original, but that'll actually bring them much closer to being in proportion, since they look about the same height.

True. There was always something I found a little "off" about the Yamato YF-19's proportions in fighter mode when viewed sideways; I couldn't really put a finger to it until I started comparing pics if it and the Arcadia version.

Question: is the Arcadia YF-19 able to pull off a better looking GERWALK mode than the Yammie 1/60 YF-19? While I like the fact that the improved ankles allow the whole foot to make contact with the ground, the legs still don't look as if they're capable of the kind of dynamic poses I've seen in VF-25's.

The Yammie M7 VF-19's seem to be able to achieve a better looking A stance, but that seems to be at the expense of exposed ball joints for the ankles.

Then again, the elongated neck makes the GERWALK mode look kind of derpy anyway, except maybe when viewed from the front.

True. There was always something I found a little "off" about the Yamato YF-19's proportions in fighter mode when viewed sideways; I couldn't really put a finger to it until I started comparing pics if it and the Arcadia version.

Question: is the Arcadia YF-19 able to pull off a better looking GERWALK mode than the Yammie 1/60 YF-19? While I like the fact that the improved ankles allow the whole foot to make contact with the ground, the legs still don't look as if they're capable of the kind of dynamic poses I've seen in VF-25's.

The Yammie M7 VF-19's seem to be able to achieve a better looking A stance, but that seems to be at the expense of exposed ball joints for the ankles.

Then again, the elongated neck makes the GERWALK mode look kind of derpy anyway, except maybe when viewed from the front.

Well, most of this design is based off of the Yammie VF-19's. Unless they've made some changes to the ankles and to the upper thigh joint (which we have no indication of), no, the Gerwalk was extremely limited on the VF-19 and this one looks to follow unfortunately. Plenty of people here are beyond tired of my tirades about the Gerwalk mode, and disagree, but we can all agree that there's no way in hell the VF-19's are anywhere near close to the dynamic poses any of the Frontier valks can achieve.

Edited by Mommar

Well, most of this design is based off of the Yammie VF-19's. Unless they've made some changes to the ankles and to the upper thigh joint (which we have no indication of), no, the Gerwalk was extremely limited on the VF-19 and this one looks to follow unfortunately. Plenty of people here are beyond tired of my tirades about the Gerwalk mode, and disagree, but we can all agree that there's no way in hell the VF-19's are anywhere near close to the dynamic poses any of the Frontier valks can achieve.

I guess I don't feel so bad about my local hobby store not bringing any Arcadia YF-19's in. GERWALK's always been my favorite mode for displaying Valks.

From my point of view, based on the above side view comparison, the old Yamato version outshines the new Arcadia one in a few areas:

• The canopy treatment - I'd rather have it clear than the too-dark blue tint they've got going now, but since we're still dealing with a prototype that may change by release time... hoping that's the case, anyway.
  • The overall shape of the leg intakes, not just the lip, looks better/sleeker on the older toy.
  • The relative height of the stabilizer tails on the Yamato makes it look more prominent and a bit nicer.
  • The lack of the black gap between the legs and knees on the original 19 make that section look more integrated.

In every other aspect, however, the Arcadia version is leaps and bounds superior to the Yamato one, which looks fat and arch-backed by comparisson... and that gullet was, is, and forever shall be an eyesore.

Edited by mechaninac