Arcadia YF-19 coming in 2014

SCOOPUDA!

Pricing has every bit as much to do with supply, demand and what the market will bear as it does the actual cost per unit (including materials, labor, design, marketing, tooling, distribution, etc). Marketing people take a look at the supply and demand curve (or their derived model of it) to see how much total profit they can make at a given price. They also have to consider that a lower price may sell more but the profit will be low. A higher price may sell less but will generate more profit per unit. The reason I saw may sell more or less is that with something like this there may not be much fluctuation in units sold. It really isn't an impulse buy item and most people saying the cost is too high will probably still belly up to the bar.

Of course, design cost, marketing cost, amortization of the tooling cost, materials cost of each unit and such all play a factor in determining the price since this dictates the profit per unit at a given price.

I'm just happy that Arcadia sees enough potential for profit to continue producing Macross VFs. That was far from certain when Yamato was collapsing.

I would also add that Arcadia is competing with Bandai. Look at the VF-25 Renewal. Starting price is about 16000 - 20000 Yen. Not to say the construction quality is the same between the two, but if people are willing to pay 16000 Yen for a bandai valk, well then Arcadia is actually selling lower than the competition. Honestly I feel that 15000 Yen for a VF-1 is a bit much too when compared to past retail costs and all one gets extra is a stand (not accounting for inflation and rising labor/engineering costs). But if recall the launch arm for the Yamato valks was about 4000 Yen anyway, so not it is just bundled. As for the YF-19, for me it is pricey as was the VF-4g, but when you consider that Bandai valks are 20000 Yen, and then if you want super parts or armor that is another 10000 Yen, then Arcadia is about in the same ball park. I only wish this came with an updated fold booster too. I do not see Arcadia packaging a separate fold booster because the extras already include the fast packs and other weapons.

So not to change subjects, but with the YF-19 out in April 2014 (more like May since things are delayed), and the VF-1s with stand coming out next month, what is Arcadia going to do between January and April? It would be really awesome if we saw VF-1J M&M during this time, but I might as well add this to my list of wishes for X-Mas.

So not to change subjects, but with the YF-19 out in April 2014 (more like May since things are delayed), and the VF-1s with stand coming out next month, what is Arcadia going to do between January and April? It would be really awesome if we saw VF-1J M&M during this time, but I might as well add this to my list of wishes for X-Mas.

Arcadia could do a VF-1J Hikaru Ichijo with FAST Pack.

I would also add that Arcadia is competing with Bandai. Look at the VF-25 Renewal. Starting price is about 16000 - 20000 Yen. Not to say the construction quality is the same between the two, but if people are willing to pay 16000 Yen for a bandai valk, well then Arcadia is actually selling lower than the competition. Honestly I feel that 15000 Yen for a VF-1 is a bit much too when compared to past retail costs and all one gets extra is a stand (not accounting for inflation and rising labor/engineering costs). But if recall the launch arm for the Yamato valks was about 4000 Yen anyway, so not it is just bundled. As for the YF-19, for me it is pricey as was the VF-4g, but when you consider that Bandai valks are 20000 Yen, and then if you want super parts or armor that is another 10000 Yen, then Arcadia is about in the same ball park. I only wish this came with an updated fold booster too. I do not see Arcadia packaging a separate fold booster because the extras already include the fast packs and other weapons.

Isn't the only Bandai valk starting at 20000 yen the vf-27 with super pack? But even that is sell for less than MSRP now. The 16000-20000 price is after a markup.

I picked up the latest Bandai valk (vf-25a) for 12800 yen.

I got my VF-25A for $158 shipped, via EMS. Around $124 before shipping.

-Kyp

Edited by Kyp Durron

The one's complaining Arcadia are getting greedy, have you ever run a business that creates and sells highly engineered... well, anything? Do you know what the actual costs are? Some of you seem to think you know what these toys should be priced at but I'm waiting for the all encompassing explanation how and why a business could and should be charging less. Just the opinion, "it should be cheaper" means nothing. It's what they deemed the market could bare and what they could make a profit at. If they couldn't make a profit or the market couldn't bare it they wouldn't make it at all. You wouldn't have anything to complain about then, but then again you wouldn't have anything to buy either and that would be it.

And, really, I think they did hear that the VF-4 was too expensive. People thought it was cool (and it is, I'm glad I have my two) but that it was a lot of money for just a Valk. So they can't really charge less for such fancy pieces of engineering. What to do then? Well, charge the same as the VF-4 but include a whole wealth of extras as incentive.

I skipped on the VF-4 and the HDP Battlepod cause I would not pay over 300 for a toy, when some where down the line it breaks cause of an accedental bump or some careless oaf coming into yor room to barrow your underwear without asking while your at work is the reason I skipped them.

A lighter shade then? Isn't it roughly the colour it is now in the anime?

It looked that way on the Movie edition at the end after Isamu rescues Myung.

Yeah, base price on the renewals and VF-171s is 14000 Yen, but all/most of the latest ones have been available for less than full retail; of course, once you add the purchase of the accessory packs, but only if you do buy them, the prices get much closer to the 20000 yen mark at which the VF-27 1.5 with fast packs is MSRP'd... still a whole lot less than the VF-4G and this new YF-19.

On the other hand, if you compare most Yamato/Arcadia releases with Bandai ones in general.. you can kind of see where that money went. For all the assorted problems Yamato designs have had in the past, I still consider their engineering and attention to detail (not to mention customer service) to be a few quantum leaps ahead of Bandai in every respect.

For all the improvements that've gone into Bandai's renewals, they still can't figure out how to make something that's actually enjoyable to tranform, or can support its own weight over time. And try as they might, Bandai still can't seem to bridge that conceptual gap between "robot that turns into an airplane" and "aircraft that can turn into a robot." :p

Edited by Chronocidal

Sure Yamato/Arcadia's Macross engineering, execution (much prefer matt to gloss finishes), and sometimes QC, are arguably better than Bandai's Macross efforts; but is that difference worth around a 8700+ Yen premium (comparing the price, at N-Y, of the upcoming YF-29 Isamu + VF-25G's super parts* = ~ 24100 Yen vs. HLJ's stated YF-19's 32800 MSRP)?

Who am I kidding though? As much as I may think the price for the new 19 may be absurd, I will end up preordering a copy... I had the exact same opinion of the 4G and ended up getting one. In the end, these things are worth exactly as much as we are willing to pay for them.

* closest current analog since the YF-29 30th's is retailing well above original price.

Guest davidwhangchoi

oh man... where's kyekye :) somebody was asking about water decals stickers for the yf-19. and i can't make out Mr. K's answer...

i hope there is a lot of tampo printing, cause it looks hard to put on the 19.

On the other hand, if you compare most Yamato/Arcadia releases with Bandai ones in general.. you can kind of see where that money went. For all the assorted problems Yamato designs have had in the past, I still consider their engineering and attention to detail (not to mention customer service) to be a few quantum leaps ahead of Bandai in every respect.

For all the improvements that've gone into Bandai's renewals, they still can't figure out how to make something that's actually enjoyable to tranform, or can support its own weight over time. And try as they might, Bandai still can't seem to bridge that conceptual gap between "robot that turns into an airplane" and "aircraft that can turn into a robot." :p

I feel like you're talking about Bandai before the renewals started coming out. The renewal VF-25 is 1000x more fun than transforming a VF-17 Yamato toy where the game is to try to do it without bleeding. The YF-29, VF-171, and VF-25 toys are also really good in fighter modes and battroid modes. I will say that only the VF-25 in that bunch is really 'fun to transform' though and all probably do get loose although my toys tend to stay in fighter mode and when I have transformed them recently all were holding up pretty well. Let's also not forget that Bandai tends to get input or straight up buy designs from the same team that Yamato does (although both manufacturers probably provide the price points they're trying to hit which helps determine how complex the design is).

I don't think anybody has pre-ordered the YF-19 for 32800... HLJ has it for 29520 and AmiAmi for 28980.

...and BiJ has it for 26250, if you don't mind paying in full, EMS included, upfront (30950 Yen). Six months in advance!

Reread what I wrote. I was talking about MSRP, not discounted preorder prices that vary from retailer to retailer, and HLJ clearly shows the YF-19's MSRP as 32800 Yen. Using MSRPs of similar (both the YF-19 and YF-29 are built-to-order as far as everything I've read) products is the only way to conduct an honest and fair comparison; hence, the full price of Arcadia's YF-19, which will come with fast packs and ordnance, against the full retail price (N-Y's, anyway) of Bandai-Tamashii's YF-29 Isamu, which will come with a stand, plus an educated guess of the MSRP for the sure to come fast packs (N-Y's price, again)... actual Tamashii MSRP would be even better for comparison, but -- full disclosure -- I didn't feel like researching that and figured N-Y's price was close enough to illustrate my point.

Edited by mechaninac

Guest davidwhangchoi

Good Morning Everyone (East Coast)

Looks like the blog has been updated

Ok, to avoid any translation debates or miscues:

here's the link for those who want to take a look at Mr. K's blog:

http://arcadia.ac/yf19/message/index.php

I will just highlight subject matters that are requested and touched on:

• canopy color (will choose clear or colored based on popular vote)
  • gun pod color adjusted darker
  • hi speed mode
  • more than one color variation of 19a (it is progressing positively: he would need to submit copyright proposal and also consider canopy adjustments)
  • next is not yf-21 (next project is a secret)
  • Figure King No.177
  • Sv-51 and vf-4 flashback was discussed waaay before he began on the yf-19. maybe sometime in the future
  • vf-1 minmay guard requested. he'll consider
  • Request for Macross the ride "VF-19 no トゥング" (no promises)
Edited by davidwhangchoi

Phew, not YF-21, since I just bought one. I really want a VT-1 from them, i really do. But I'm also excited of the possibility of a remastered SV-51. I want an Ivanov but that toy is known for its horrors. What's he saying about the Armored parts? Is he going to bring them back(I cant seem to understand the translation other than the price will be higher)? I'm thinking of not selling my VF-1j anymore because of that!

Bringing the topic back to YF-19, I also do prefer the tinted canopy. Maybe they should just make it more transparent instead of fully clear.

Edited by close313

Guest davidwhangchoi

Good Morning Everyone (East Coast)

Looks like the blog has been updated

Ok, to avoid any translation debates or miscues:

here's the link for those who want to take a look at Mr. K's blog:

http://arcadia.ac/yf19/message/index.php

I will just highlight subject matters that are requested and touched on:

• canopy color (will choose clear or colored based on popular vote)
  • gun pod color adjusted darker
  • hi speed mode
  • more than one color variation of 19a (it is progressing positively: he would need to submit copyright proposal and also consider canopy adjustments)
  • next is not yf-21 (next project secret)
  • Figure King No.177
  • Sv-51 and vf-4 flashback was discussed waaay before he began on the yf-19. maybe sometime in the future
  • vf-1 minmay guard requested. he'll consider
  • Request for Macross the ride "VF-19 no トゥング" (no promises)
  • another reply to canopy comment: (Mr. K) is trying to adjust the color so the pilot can be seen more transparent. doesn't mention if it's tinted or not... (the comment of going by popular vote clear vs. tinted is an old comment he re-pasted from twitter)

キャノピーの色味は少なくともパイロットが見えやすい濃度にする方向で調整しようと思っております。

"I will adjust [iroaji] of the canopy in the direction made a density in which the pilot is at least seen easily."

Second auto translator:

"I think that I will adjust 色味 of a canopy towards making it the concentration to which a pilot is seen easily at least."

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Phew, not YF-21, since I just bought one. I really want a VT-1 from them, i really do. But I'm also excited of the possibility of a remastered SV-51. I want an Ivanov but that toy is known for its horrors. What's he saying about the Armored parts? Is he going to bring them back(I cant seem to understand the translation other than the price will be higher)? I'm thinking of not selling my VF-1j anymore because of that!

Bringing the topic back to YF-19, I also do prefer the tinted canopy. Maybe they should just make it more transparent instead of fully clear.

I'm taking a guess that it's a possibility (google translate lol) but that it will be of a higher price. Same goes for the super/strike pack.

Guest davidwhangchoi

I'm taking a guess that it's a possibility (google translate lol) but that it will be of a higher price. Same goes for the super/strike pack.

Aww. Don't make it a fully clear canopy :( The blue now is really nice.

Seems also that intakes' thickness can't be changed and that there's no workaround to it.

And thanks for the updates david!

no problem! btw, the thickness issue is from the old comments on the site which was talked about to death as well as the strike packs pricing, take a look a few pages back on this thread.

The new comments on top of the page are a mix of stuff we already know and a few tidbits of new information on the yf-19

We already know Supers are coming, the cad designs and the prototype of a reaction missile were posted on MrK's twitter.

He just confirmed they will be more expensive. So the days of 55$ sets are over.

I also have gotten the idea that they aren't licensing full titles.

It seems like from his answers that they buy licensing model specific.

Which also, he has said they have yet to get licensing for the SDFM stuff yet.

no problem! btw, the thickness issue is from the old comments on the site which was talked about to death as well as the strike packs pricing, take a look a few pages back on this thread.

The new comments on top of the page are a mix of stuff we already know and a few tidbits of new information on the yf-19

Ah yes. I've seen those. Been keeping up with the thread.

I just assumed that all the comments that were just posted by you were really new. My bad :p