Arcadia YF-19 coming in 2014

SCOOPUDA!

Well, so much for "consensus." :D I'll know better than to presume to speak for everyone again.

Was there ever line art for the 19 Advance? Are there any major differences between its design and the prototype YF? If I remember correctly, the Advance has VF-25-esque feet, but its design is otherwise exactly the same as the YF.

Cosmetics/Design drawbacks :

Arcadia :

1) Space between lower & upper leg (knee) in fighter mode. There's a black slider to cover it from BOTTOM view, but SIDE views remain bare.

2) Thick space above the intake (but I dont mind).

3) Very minimal tampo prints.

Bandai :

1) Gaps between shield & legs in fighter mode (TOP view).

2) Cheap-looking, unpainted landing gears.

3) More complex to transform than Arcadia (from online videos).

Well, so much for "consensus." :D I'll know better than to presume to speak for everyone again.

Was there ever line art for the 19 Advance? Are there any major differences between its design and the prototype YF? If I remember correctly, the Advance has VF-25-esque feet, but its design is otherwise exactly the same as the YF.

Yes there is a CG lineart on Macross Chronicle #69. But only in fighter mode. Hope that helps.

post-5552-0-75847600-1454226409_thumb.jpg

post-5552-0-85914700-1454226419_thumb.jpg

post-5552-0-71133400-1454226424_thumb.jpg

post-5552-0-00336400-1454226428_thumb.jpg

It seems doubtful it'd be coming out very soon. You have to imagine we have DX VF-31 and DX Drakkens and there are like 12 of those. If Bandai started releasing one a month in April we wouldn't be seeing a DX YF-19 until at least May of next year and that's excluding any Frontier reissues or whatever else they might cook up AND that they'd actually release a DX every month (which seems doubtful).

Edited by jenius

Word is the 31 and 262 won't be out until fall, so if Bandai wants to make some easy money a YF-19 would be a quick and simple way to do so, without taking any resources away from Delta DX development.

Given the YF hasn't appeared in Delta or Frontier this would require the Plus license and it seems doubtful, with the Arcadia release, BW would let Bandai do that to them... unless Arcadia couldn't pony up for the exclusivity that usually comes with the premium toy licenses.

Because they were like "We have like 12 Delta DX toys to release... by the time we're done doing those who knows what the licensing situation will be like" or they're like "We're Bandai, we can have that license if we want it" or whatever other excuse you want to think of.

Then why did bandai show it if they couldn't release it?

Simply coz they're Bandai.

Like, they showed all five of the Gorangers SHFiguarts complete a couple of years back or so on one of the TN fests, but only have released the Red Ranger so far. Same TN as with their SRC God Mars, which is still not released and prolly won't ever coz of their BIG FAIL on SRC God Sigma. There most likely many other stuff that Bandai showed/displayed on their TN events over the years that never gets released at all.

Bandai's just being Bandai.

They'll totally release Hello Kitty & Friends chogokin variants instead, however...

I dunno, Bandai did lots of things better in fighter mode (though it did some things worse too). Let me know if you think I missed something:

There are a few areas where this toy bests the Arcadia YF-19. First, it gets the intake shape right and eliminates the fat leading edge above the intake in fighter mode. Second, you don’t need to extend the legs in fighter mode to reveal the black area that shouldn’t be there. Third, the fins below the legs are a better size. Fourth, the canards are a better size and they have a better rotation system that doesn’t rely on an obvious peg (though some wish the canards could be angled higher). When viewing fighter mode from the side the VF-19Advance is a clear winner. However, if you view both toys in fighter mode from above the Arcadia shield fills the gap between the legs better than the Bandai offering. Arcadia also nails the curves of the neck in fighter mode; Bandai reduced these curves which does give Bandai an edge in not having to have the big gap above the nose in battroid mode.

I don't know which is the better toy, but the YF-19 LOOKS better in every mode.

Except for Gerwalk.

And I'd love to see a Bandai YF-19, word of a release would be nice.

On-topic, I decided against another Arcadia YF-19, no other reason than it's just too much $$$ for my current toy budget.

-b.

Not sure how anyone can vote for the Bandai fighter mode over the Arcadia tbh. The curves are just all wrong. The only thing I'll agree with is that the blocky intakes are kinda lame. But I don't even notice them in person so

I could say the same thing for people that vote for the Arcadia over the Bandai. It's all a matter of preference and depends on what the person prioritizes (e.g. Personally I couldn't care less about the landing gear not being painted white, while I place a lot of importance on the wings not flopping about).

Definitely the Bandai one all the way if we're talking about fighter mode only. Its the sleekest (IMHO). The Arcadia one has too much of a downward point to the nose and the swan neck is just too exaggerated for an aircraft and that damn thick block at the air intake.

Not to mention the exorbitant price tag, total lack of the most minimalist of tampo printing, overly complicated transformation that isn't even satisfying (but feels like I'm breaking it!), weak ankles, stupid wing/arm mechanism for fast mode, and WTF with no stand included, just an adapter nonsense. It's so blank it just looks half-assed and uncompleted next to the incredible amount of molded details all over the Bandai 19 Advanced (even in areas that you'd never see unless you were transforming it). Don't even get me talking about the pose ability in Battroid mode.

I'd gladly sell mine if I didn't put so much effort and so many hours into it to make it look remotely pass-able in my collection.

I guess you know which camp I belong too :p

I'm with WM Cheng on this, Bandai VF-19 Advance all the way. The Arcadia really looks too unfinished in terms of lack of Tampo printing and lack of molded in detail and panel lines.

I also totally agree the Arcadia's nose is too droopy.

Too me, the Bandai just looks so much better and accurate to the line art, especially the side view fighter mode.

Plus the Arcadia has too many annoying problems that don't make it a fun toy, such as the loose ankles and loose high speed mode wing hinge.

I love so much my Arcadia and I am tempted to say everything can be fixed with Arcardia's model. On the opposite, the details that I dislike with Bandai doesn't seem to be fixable: the landing gears are blocky, a few proportions have been biased and are too thick: at first glance this can be because Bandai have larger tolerance on their plastic -lower quality?-

I am totally biased against Bandai I recon, I haven't the VF-19 Advance because I didn't want to play the pre-order madness game when it came out, and since then its price has been stratospheric on the ebay/scalper sale markets... Much more higher than Arcadia price.

Here are my fixs!

• Tampo: you can use the ones that came inside the box. Either Arcadia could sell the decals as an accessory and lower their prices or just apply them, but then you are screwed if you want to do a repaint. I would prefer Arcadia to apply them though ;)
  • Detail and panel lines: they are there, just a little to thin. But once you got them high lighten with a wash / airbrush, the YF-19 is gorgeous
  • I have mixed feeling about the nose drop, the YF-19 is supposed to have it when looking at some scenes of the anime, and the VF-19 is definitely straighter. Perhaps Arcadia has overdone it and I would prefer something more toward the Hasegawa nose drop.
  • Loose High speed mode, I posted a fix earlier, very easy to do. Doesn't the Bandai have the same issue ?
  • Loose ankles, here is my fix: you can use a more angled ankle to have them tighter. It works even with straight battroid position and better with dynamic poses. see picture

post-15880-0-60123300-1454493713.jpg

I love so much my Arcadia and I am tempted to say everything can be fixed with Arcardia's model. On the opposite, the details that I dislike with Bandai doesn't seem to be fixable: the landing gears are blocky, a few proportions have been biased and are too thick: at first glance this can be because Bandai have larger tolerance on their plastic -lower quality?-

I am totally biased against Bandai I recon, I haven't the VF-19 Advance because I didn't want to play the pre-order madness game when it came out, and since then its price has been stratospheric on the ebay/scalper sale markets... Much more higher than Arcadia price.

Here are my fixs!

• Tampo: you can use the ones that came inside the box. Either Arcadia could sell the decals as an accessory and lower their prices or just apply them, but then you are screwed if you want to do a repaint. I would prefer Arcadia to apply them though ;)
  • Detail and panel lines: they are there, just a little to thin. But once you got them high lighten with a wash / airbrush, the YF-19 is gorgeous
  • I have mixed feeling about the nose drop, the YF-19 is supposed to have it when looking at some scenes of the anime, and the VF-19 is definitely straighter. Perhaps Arcadia has overdone it and I would prefer something more toward the Hasegawa nose drop.
  • Loose High speed mode, I posted a fix earlier, very easy to do. Doesn't the Bandai have the same issue ?
  • Loose ankles, here is my fix: you can use a more angled ankle to have them tighter. It works even with straight battroid position and better with dynamic poses. see picture

Arcadia v Bandai boils down to personal preferences and expectations; but to your points:

• Arcadia's minimalist approach to Tampo application is disappointing to many due to what they charge for the toy, specially when compared to Bandai's abundance, some may even claim overkill, in this area... and for a lot less money. If Arcadia included true water slide decals, this dearth of Tampo would be far less of an issue, but they don't; instead, we get stickers, which never look as good as factory markings or decals. As for painting... given the tight tolerances and moving/rubbing surfaces, good luck.
  • Arcadia's are way too thin and Bandai's are a tad too wide. The thing is, both items are toys, not scale models, so Bandai's approach is better exactly because there is no need to highlight them. It's all well and good if an owner wishes to panel line or do a wash to enhance detail, but there should be no need to do so in order to see them... and most owners are not inclined to alter their toys either because they like their toys pristine or lack the desire or ability to do so.
  • Arcadia's forward fuselage profile may be elegant in its own right, but Bandai's is more accurate (none is perfect, nor can they be given the nature of the subject); however, what makes the Bandai superior, in my eyes, is the larger -- and again, more accurate to the line art --cockpit canopy... Arcadia's looks so under-sized by comparison.
  • One should not need to fix a design flaw on any item, regardless of manufacturer, that costs as much as what Arcadia charges for their YF-19. Bandai has the same gimmick, but none of the issues.
  • Err... not to nitpick, but what you show is a workaround, not a fix. The problem with Arcadia's design remains.

I don't claim to be unbiased -- anyone who does so is lying -- but I do own both, so I can physically compare them. They're both excellent representations of the mecha they portray (YF-19 and FV-19Adv, so they are not the same and can coexist on equal footing), but in my assessment, as toys, the Bandai outclasses the arcadia; not by much, mind you, but just enough.

They are equally awesome for totally different reasons. I have both and I love the batroid posability of the bandai, but love the animation model look of the arcadia. The fighter modes, I think goes to Arcadia, though I love the Bandai with its boosters (hate the tacked on boosters in batroid). Everyone keeps posting bandai is accurate to the one side shot technical drawing, but arcadia has the dynamic animated look that captures Kawamori's sketches and drawings. Taking a pic of it in fighter mode looks straight out of M+. Still love the Bandai though. Can't go wrong with either. People said Bandai is 3rd market crazy priced but I got mine just over 230 on the Jungle new a few weeks ago. Better than the arcadia prices.

I find it funny that most of the people that bash the Bandai one doesn't even own that one - how can you make an informed opinion without having it in hand?! (I know, this IS the internet :p)

Also a key point for me is that the Bandai one is not only superior (IMHO) or even if you consider it even but different or even slightly less - it costs substantially less (almost 50% less for me) - which demonstrates what can be done at the lower price-point. I just felt gauged by Arcadia which adds to the sense of dissatisfaction.

Considering the price, the Bandai one does seem the sounder proposition. ~10,000 yen lower retail for comparable product and more extras... But look at where the two companies are coming from (Bandai the big dog, Arcadia the smaller company taking greater relative risk), and the price differential is arguably understandable.

Still, Arcadia doesn't project the image of a smaller-scale maker the way, say, Evolution Toys does, or at least not to me, so the upcharge for less and potentially lower quality content seems less justifiable. But then again I of course don't buy this stuff anyway so my opinion hardly matters at the end of the day.

Edited by kajnrig

I find it funny that most of the people that bash the Bandai one doesn't even own that one - how can you make an informed opinion without having it in hand?! (I know, this IS the internet :p)

Also a key point for me is that the Bandai one is not only superior (IMHO) or even if you consider it even but different or even slightly less - it costs substantially less (almost 50% less for me) - which demonstrates what can be done at the lower price-point. I just felt gauged by Arcadia which adds to the sense of dissatisfaction.

For me it's the opposite -- I don't own the Bandai one and I think it has a better fighter mode than Arcadia. But for me, the YF-19 is one of those mecha I prefer for it's battroid mode anyway, which in this case I think goes to Arcadia. I do think that the Bandai represents an overall better value though, but that's something I would have only known after the Bandai was released and things like the Arcadia's ankle and wing issues became known, and not at preorder time.

Considering the price, the Bandai one does seem the sounder proposition. ~10,000 yen lower retail for comparable product and more extras... But look at where the two companies are coming from (Bandai the big dog, Arcadia the smaller company taking greater relative risk), and the price differential is arguably understandable.

Still, Arcadia doesn't project the image of a smaller-scale maker the way, say, Evolution Toys does, or at least not to me, so the upcharge for less and potentially lower quality content seems less justifiable. But then again I of course don't buy this stuff anyway so my opinion hardly matters at the end of the day.

Very reasonable, measured take on the Bandai v. Arcadia debate, regarding price. And I agree, I still have to remind myself that Arcadia isn't that much larger than a garage kit maker. Especially recently as I find myself priced out of stuff that I want to buy.

And even while I don't fall on the same side of the debate as WM re: Arcadia's YF-19, I can absolutely see where he's coming from and since he spent his dollars he's completely justified to pass judgment on if he feels his money was well spent, or not.

And as stated above, this is the internet - EVERYONE'S opinion matters. Especially mine. :p:D:lol:B))

-b.

Because the original discussion was about the appearance in fighter mode, so all that other stuff is irrelevant.

Edited by Raptor One

Guest davidwhangchoi

i also own multiples of both: you can ask the guys i sold my bandai's to on MW:

in terms of fighter mode, arcadia's closer to the side profile lineart and the art work in the chronicles issue.

I have 1x Arcadia and 2x Bandai which I love both versions pretty much equally but.. if I could only have one then my heart will always fall for the Arcadia. It just has that special something that the Bandai (as good as it may be) simply doesn't have..

Its almost like having a favorite child! hehe! im glad I only ever had one son! :p:lol:

i also own multiples of both: you can ask the guys i sold my bandai's to on MW:

in terms of fighter mode, arcadia's closer to the side profile lineart and the art work in the chronicles issue.

I wouldn't say that the Bandai 19 doesn't match it's lineart, it's that the Bandai is taken from the 3D model and it does match that quite well. It, however, does not look like the YF-19 lineart from Macross Plus, which the Arcadia definitely does.