Arcadia YF-19 coming in 2014

SCOOPUDA!

Guest davidwhangchoi

someone should let him know how the canopy opens without pushing the nose down.

Edited by davidwhangchoi

someone should let him know how the canopy opens without pushing the nose down.

Ha, I figured someone would notice that. I really did try, but couldn't seem to get all the parts in the right spot at the same time.

Hmm, that was a glowing report, no mention of the criticisms at all.

That's not totally fair. I mentioned the ankles, and even said that mine are a little loose, just like on all my Yamato VF-19s, which tightened up fine with a little nail polish, and I mentioned that the FAST Packs for the legs don't stay on well.. Is there some other glaring flaw I was supposed to notice? Everything else works perfectly on mine.

Finally got my YF-19 from NY by SAL! Thankfully, I avoided any custom fees and taxes - it could have been really ugly otherwise. It’s good to see that NY is still willing to down-mark the declared value even though they have this “Trans-logistic” shipping option. I hope they keep it up; otherwise I might be out of this price point in the future.

The fighter came with no damages, just a few black grease stains here and there that were easy to wipe off. I tried to put on the FAST packs in fighter mode and I now understand why so many complain about them. It went much better when I understood that you have to use the filler pieces and suddenly everything aligned perfectly. :)

Now I want to display it with some armaments, but I’m getting quite picky. First of all, I don’t know what any of the different armaments are supposed to be, except the reaction missiles. Have anyone figured it out? I want the selection on the wings to make some sense at least, like the pilot would actually choose that combination for an actual mission. I also wonder if there is an optimal placement for each different kind of armament, if you look at it realistically. Like if you consider weight balance, stability and drag forces, and so on. Any military aircraft expert out there that can give some basic input?

The forehead armor and visor are removable so you can reenact that one maintenance scene. This shot also shows off how the torso and belly areas fold up and the canards tuck in. I always forget that the YF-19 has those chest guns, but they are nicely rendered here.

chest guns? I thought those were secret beam sabers for cutting up robots at close range.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Wish that the price was a little lower on the one at Mandarake - I'd love to pick up a used one for display in Battroid.

The nice things about these reviews, is that they are someone's opinion, I don't agree with a lot of what's said here ad nauseam (sometimes good OR bad) but that doesn't mean I think folks are disingenuous.

That said I'd love it if someone would pay for my .02 about the toys I've imported from Japan = Dream Job

-b.

I think in your review you could make speculation as to what a YF-19 HiMetal would have been like if it exists. Put the VF-19 HiMetal next to the yamato VF-19 and then send a hint that you would like to see Macross Plus toys at smaller sizes to get better battroid poses without stands.

Arcadia are not the only company doing macross stuff. Always keep in mind the competition when doing a review. For instance if bandai were to make a toy of similar size and complexity would it cost as much? If not, you should tell the reviewers that they are getting a great toy but maybe it would have been a bit better at lower price to match what is already on the market. (ie mac Fronier.merchandise that is floating around right now on second hand and new market) You assume that a guy who is about to buy something is limited in funds and can choose between this and something else which is just as good but cheaper.

Comparing to older toys from the same company when the dollar was of different value is one thing but if you factor in how much this costs to say YF-29 or some other equally-complex transforming jet people can get a good idea of whether it is value for money. I can do a review of 1/48 today and say wow I got it cheap and its a great toy. But it would be meaningless to compare it to new toy that costs more due to the inflation of dollar.

Best to compare a toy to something that is on the market right now made with the same tech of modern times just like people do with their PC rigs, as opposed to what happened in the past for toys that are no longer easy to find anymore.

Hmm, that was a glowing report, no mention of the criticisms at all.

It's just the reporter's opinion, and IMO that only means that not everybody is utterly unhappy with this release. I know you think otherwise, there's a place for comments at the end of the review. OR you can start your own reviews site ;)

A lot of people brought up how they think the plastic is worse than the VF-19. I don't know if that is true or not.

How do you guys tell if it is worse plastic? Just the thickness? Maybe if you forward this criticism to the people at arcadia they can improve on re-releases of this toy?

I have had both my copies for a while, transformed them both a number of times and I have to say I'm happy with the YF-19.

I thought the transformation was straightforward and the entire toy feels solid (except for the wings, don't like that high speed mode gimmick)

Not sure about the plastic comments, I think the Toy feels really solid. Although the smaller tabs, flaps and thin hollow areas (wings) are where it feels...fragile.

For the price point it should have been covered with decals, I think that's where I'm most disappointed. Cool, it has stickers but factory applied decals should be mandatory.

A lot of people brought up how they think the plastic is worse than the VF-19. I don't know if that is true or not.

How do you guys tell if it is worse plastic? Just the thickness? Maybe if you forward this criticism to the people at arcadia they can improve on re-releases of this toy?

It's subjective and based entirely on tactile feel.

If an objective comparison were to be made you'd need to start by weighing parts of equal volume in order to determine the density of the ABS grade used on each toy (denser usually equates with stronger); next, you'd need to perform some destructive testing (pull test, shear test, etc) to find out each plastic's modulus of elasticity (how far you can bend/pull/twist a material and still have it return to it's original state without showing damage – no stress marks), and how much force it takes to break parts of equal geometry molded in the different plastics. Anyone care to donate both a VF-19 and a YF-19 for the cause? They'll die an honorable death....didn't think so. :p

Wish I could complain with you guys, I haven't received mine yet. I'm sh!t out of luck, after USPS lost me v2 VF-1J Millia now my YF-19 fvcking vanished. Pissed that I might have to purchase another one at a higher price now. <_<

what actually happened? Did it vanished at ISC New York?

I have one package (not the 19, much cheaper) sitting there since April 8th..hopefully it will come to papa soon!

EDITED : April, not Jan..man winter sucks in mpls

Edited by aaajin

One of my Max TV Vf-1a's took a month and a half to get to me. I had the seller do a trace and after waiting one month and after 2 weeks it showed up. You may want to try asking the seller to do so.

I understand why some would not like the way the high speed mode gimmick has been implanted. But this is so much better and stable now than the old 19. I still remember how many times I found the old 19's wings being bent to much forward and thought it would break.

The new 19 doesn't suffer from this risk and can even make it in high speed mode, I am quiet happy that the wings have been improved.

But I admit that the wings should have more restricted movements and also feature locks or tabs for each position.

Man. Gotta stop using sal bro.

Call and raise hell. It might magically appear.

They were both EMS.

what actually happened? Did it vanished at ISC New York?

I have one package (not the 19, much cheaper) sitting there since April 8th..hopefully it will come to papa soon!

EDITED : April, not Jan..man winter sucks in mpls

The Millia VF-1 arrived in Jan 18th at ISC NY and that's it, fromjapan has requested a search for the package but no answer yet from usps, I can't do a paypal dispute, doing a cc charge back is a dick move against fromjapan and I'm waiting for some king of lost package compensation.

I live in Panama and use a Miami proxy address to get it from the US to me, the YF-19 arrived at the address, received and signed, you can check online the whole received/package/shipped process online but going to 3 weeks now and their records can't find the package, already raising hell there. Pissed cause I shipped so much crap trough them, they should know my name and unit code by now.

One of my Max TV Vf-1a's took a month and a half to get to me. I had the seller do a trace and after waiting one month and after 2 weeks it showed up. You may want to try asking the seller to do so.

Already on it. 4 months for the VF-1J already. :angry:

So, the wings have no lock between normal and high speed mode?

Guest davidwhangchoi

They were both EMS.

The Millia VF-1 arrived in Jan 18th at ISC NY and that's it, fromjapan has requested a search for the package but no answer yet from usps, I can't do a paypal dispute, doing a cc charge back is a dick move against fromjapan and I'm waiting for some king of lost package compensation.

I live in Panama and use a Miami proxy address to get it from the US to me, the YF-19 arrived at the address, received and signed, you can check online the whole received/package/shipped process online but going to 3 weeks now and their records can't find the package, already raising hell there. Pissed cause I shipped so much crap trough them, they should know my name and unit code by now.

my fold booster was in nyc, then in long island and now is in virginia. i feel you man. i prob wont get it till another month when they ship it back to ny then send it to nj.

Edited by davidwhangchoi

They were both EMS.

Woke up this morning and the status was changed to "Arrival at mpls". And just got my item today when I went back for lunch!

Seems like with SAL, sometimes there's a "quantum leap" between ISC New York and your local post office..

So far, zero lost package with SAL for me, but I've always and will only use SAL when the package is cheap.

Hope you'll get yours soon!

Perhaps we should break this thread into people who like the toy and people who hate it? Not sure why we are questioning peoples opinions on either side of this...

Don't think that's necessary surely both sides of the aisle can handle contrary opinions, I would hope. No need for hug threads here :D

Also what does speculating about a Bandai product that doesn't exist bring to the table for the CollectionDX review? There's no reason to include that in the review of an Arcadia product that's actually released. :/

Edited by xrentonx

I don't know if this is fair. Not everybody is having problems with theirs. Mine has been almost problem-free and perfect. The tail-fins don't sit as flat as I'd like, but it's so minor that if I was writing a review I'd leave that out.

Considering how many people have had problems with the looseness of just their YF-19 ankles, to say nothing of the previous three releases, a side comment "they're loose, but they work" is a brush off for a bigger problem. He took a pic of the 29 right next to the 19. Are the 29's ankles loose but they work? Has anybody had problems with the ankles on their Isamu 29? I think it's valid to compare and contrast and say, hey, these ankles are not stable enough. Bandai got it right, Arcadia continues where Yamato left off by getting it wrong again. Even if he didn't own a single other 19 (which he obviously does from the photos) it seems like a brush off. People need to know they're still problematic.

Considering how many people have had problems with the looseness of just their YF-19 ankles, to say nothing of the previous three releases, a side comment "they're loose, but they work" is a brush off for a bigger problem. He took a pic of the 29 right next to the 19. Are the 29's ankles loose but they work? Has anybody had problems with the ankles on their Isamu 29? I think it's valid to compare and contrast and say, hey, these ankles are not stable enough. Bandai got it right, Arcadia continues where Yamato left off by getting it wrong again. Even if he didn't own a single other 19 (which he obviously does from the photos) it seems like a brush off. People need to know they're still problematic.

all ball joints on all Bandai valks are always loose, ALWAYS. it's just an easier fix on Bandai Valks than Yamato's.

all ball joints on all Bandai valks are always loose, ALWAYS. it's just an easier fix on Bandai Valks than Yamato's.

None of the ankles on my six 25's, three 171's or my 29 are loose in any way. If you want to talk about the hips, that's a whole other story. On my Yammies, all three 19's, all three 17's and now the Arcadia 19. If Bandai ankles are going bad too that needs to be recorded in reviews as well.