Arcadia YF-19 coming in 2014

SCOOPUDA!

Yeah they used to pack in little yellow slips that basically said "oh so sorry"

I used to buy stuff from them before they started this crap policy, and they were pretty decent as far as getting things shipped quickly. But I really can't see myself buying something that can't be refunded or replaced in case of a defect.

Left shoulder on mine is super loose. Haven't figured out how to open anything up yet though---the "plugs" on top of the shoulder lead to nothing, there's nothing on the underside. I'm thinking maybe the two screws near the spine will open up the torso, revealing something. The arm is basically un-poseable/un-usable as it is.

Anyways, transformation notes: (maybe these bits are all common to the VF-19F/S, but it was all new to me)

Page 9, step 17---don't try to force the sliding bicep cover down too far. It doesn't lock, and you can stress it if you try to make it go ALL the way down.

Page 11, step 6. The metal hinge bar can slide in and out of the nosecone. It's stiff. Needs to be "retracted" into nosecone for battroid mode. The instructions look like they're point out the angle the bar needs to be pivoted to---that is secondary. Also, watch the back end of the bottom half of the nose--it's very easy to "smoosh" the corners, right at the edge of the tampo. (ask how I know) (of course, if the photo wasn't taken at a funky angle and they showed what they actually want, it'd have helped a lot--instead of highlighting some worthless intermediate position) It really looks like they want you to "tuck" the rear of the nose-bottom-half into the upper half--there's even slots/gaps there----don't!

Page 13, step 12---"the big step". Open up the "GERWALK-spine thrusters" piece. Won't clear the cockpit otherwise, and it's way too stiff to move out of the way on its own.

Page 14, step 16/17. The upper chest is quite flexible. This is how it fits over the nosecone and locks the torso in place. Works much better to "spread" the chest apart to get it over the nose, than to "force" the chest down around the nose.

Page 15, step 20. Unlocking the wing roots. Don't move the wingroots--the arrow is showing to pivot the legs at the lower intake. It's like getting a GERWALK A-stance, but using a joint at the intake rather than at the thigh.

Page 16, step 24-2. There are 2 steps to the "collapsing" of the lower leg. Be sure to push it in until you get both "notches" of "shortening".

Miscellaneous cockpit note: the black section slides forward more than it pivots forward/down. "Pushing straight down" like on the previous YF-19 isn't going to move it.

Also, the little black tab to pop it back up---pressing that tab in until it's flush isn't enough---poke something in to press it in enough make it recessed like a half-millimeter. That'll get the front edges of the nose and canopy flush/aligned, and I think it may be part of why/how the top/bottom of the nose halves do or don't close fully.

I didn't check MW for most of today, and then came back tonight and saw all these posts about broken wings. Man, that really sucks!! That's really inexcusable to receive a broken product considering the amount of money people paid. I saw Arcadia's responses, and honestly their responses are lame. If you live outside of Japan they won't do anything for you? I mean I understand that they are restricted as to what they could do as far as providing more product because of the legal issues involved with Macross outside of Japan -- but just from a purely ethical standpoint, they aren't going to do anything at all, not even mail you a box of candy and a sorry note? That's really unacceptable. It shouldn't matter that the customer is outside of Japan, they should at least make some attempt to make it right. Considering this is a manufacturing or QC issue, I'd say the blame falls more on Arcadia's shoulders than AmiAmi, and thus they should at least bear some burden to try to make things right.

I know you guys are pissed, but no amount of web bitching, or videos, is going to allow Arcadia to violate the licensing by taking care of outside of Japan customers who they aren't "supposed" to be selling too.

Then you're opening up a huge can of worms with Big West, and our friendly american Harmony Gold douche police.

You're better off cooling down, taking a step back, and trying to find help from one of our buddies who can visit Arcadia and get help under the radar.

Or do whatever you want, make a bunch of noise, and still have a broke ass toy.

your choice of course..

For me I'd like the standard release to include fast packs but no extra missiles which were not seen in the show.

The reason is that in robot mode the FP actually look good despite just being tiny bits. It kind of completes the robot mode look. But I am not crazy about the look of the extra missiles in fighter mode as I like it better with these off.

There are some cool repaints they could do of yf-19 still so if yours is busted you should ask for a refund of money from arcadia in the form of credits you can use to buy the next yf-19 release with those credits. This way the money still goes to them and they give you something that isn't a pile of broken crap. That is assuming the next thing they release isn't a mess either. :p

I disagree with the groups that say bitching doesn't work. In my experience you keep doing it they will cave just to shut you up but you have to go about it in the right way. Spread as much FUD as you can to potential buyers so they have to play nice. You would be doing the community a service anyway by exposing their behavior. You got to think of it like you are helping society too by pointing out the mistakes so that these businesses can't continue to rip more people off with impunity. It's not just about you. It's not just about emotions and getting angry. Its using the angry emotion and putting it to constructive use for future victims. Otherwise they will say "ha ha I could get away with it. Now in the future I will just repeat mistakes instead of taking responsibility and eating the cost of damages".

They benefit from being slapped on the wrist too because it forces them to have to avoid this in future. It is for their own good whether they realise it or not because people will be more confident buying in future.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

I know you guys are pissed, but no amount of web bitching, or videos, is going to allow Arcadia to violate the licensing by taking care of outside of Japan customers who they aren't "supposed" to be selling too.

Then you're opening up a huge can of worms with Big West, and our friendly american Harmony Gold douche police.

You're better off cooling down, taking a step back, and trying to find help from one of our buddies who can visit Arcadia and get help under the radar.

Or do whatever you want, make a bunch of noise, and still have a broke ass toy.

your choice of course..

Actually, I think it's still worthwhile for them to publicly complain. After all, there could be *Japanese* customers who also received broken product. Even though the foreign buyers can't legally be serviced by Arcadia, they can at least raise awareness and perhaps network with the domestic purchasers who can lobby Arcadia to fix things. And maybe one of them might be willing to hook a brother up.

And by the way, I'm not suggesting Arcadia break their license -- but I would think rather than just offering a terse "Sorry, if you're foreign we can't help you" kind of response, they could at the very least acknowledge that there was a problem instead of basically ignoring it.

Edited by SuperSenpai

For me I'd like the standard release to include fast packs but no extra missiles which were not seen in the show.

The reason is that in robot mode the FP actually look good despite just being tiny bits. It kind of completes the robot mode look. But I am not crazy about the look of the extra missiles in fighter mode since in the ova they purpose of these new valks is to go in stealthy.

I thought they employed something called "active stealth systems" instead of going for radar-deflecting shapes and angles. IIRC, Guld mentally vocalizes the word "stealth" ("sutterusu" to be exact :lol: ) and the YF-21 disappeared from the radar of the VF-11B Isamu was piloting.

But yeah, I never did see the need for missiles as far as the YF-19 is concerned.

I'm all for FAST packs as long as they don't affect the price much.

To those that received damaged goods...did you contact your credit cards yet? Most cards have some sort of consumer protection against this sort of thing...or if paid through paypal....they should be able to help too....

good point jv, at least it seems like a better chance to get something back.....

Wow. These news really suck. I feel for you guys. Having it broken just like that. Damn.

My piece came from Amiami too.. All's good with it. Thankfully.

Guess my feel abt the wings feeling fragile were right. Now this is scary.

Front tips of tailfins, tips of toes, or somewhere else?

Not actually sure, I was collapsing the knee for the first time and something in the general area of the foot stabbed into the side of my hand. I also sliced my thumb on the inside edge of the chest.

Taking a look at the wings, my best guess is that this is an assembly issue vs. bad plastic or something like that - I've even been exerting pressure on both wings of the (1) I opened and both wings feel solid.

The wing is assembled top and bottom and most likely during that process, either automatic or by-hand something was forced in a way to cause those pieces to break apart like that.

If each unit has to pass a QC inspection before being shipped then yeah those should have been caught but if QC is only X number of YF-19's then it's possible to have broken/defective units shipped.

Good luck to anyone impacted - my sincere and humble suggestion would be to let cooler heads prevail when approaching the retailer or manufacturer but I'm also not in your shoes.

-b.

My suggestion is go with HLJ.com and in future if you have to preorder, request they check their stock of those big ticket items for you (before they ship it off), if they have the time. Sure it won't be in truly unopened mint condition because it has been opened by someone before you. But that is a small price to pay to ensure you don't get a dud.

These are premium quality so that should also mean the standards for checking for this should be a bit higher than for mass production cheaper toys because of the amount of money involved. If you buy multiples of the same thing it is even more important. Since they all have english speaking support it means you can get quick response too. I think a bigger business has more leverage than the smaller ones which have limitations?

If there's a lot of complaints from Japanese customers it might get some notice, but two guys on a forum from somewhere other then Japan isn't going to do anything.

By tweeting the picture, everyone who follows MrK will see the post, if there's more issues with the wings, it will start to pour in.

If there's not, then it probably was shipping, or you just got one of the few bad parts.

you get more with Honey then vinegar.

Darn... I have one coming in from AmiAmi, but it has yet to be shipped due to a delay of one of my items in my March order.

I do agree that HLJ has impeccable support staff and I have gotten instant results after sending them in a complaint of a figure with missing parts. However, many a time, especially with popular items, they tend to take on more orders than they can supply, leading to the false belief that you have secured an item.

Ok, good news (yay!):

Non-closing chest flap is 98% fixed. It was mostly excess glue, at the front of the "well" where that flap lies. Very hard to sand down in there, but got it darn-near flush now. (I did sand a little around the hinges themselves--that improved both flaps a smidge)

Loose shoulder: The main screw IS accessible, just barely---need a very skinny screwdriver, and to swing the shoulders back into fighter mode position (while chest is raised for battroid mode). You can then sorta access the screw from the front, and get just enough of the tip in at the angle its forced into, to tighten the screw.

Bad news:

The Arcadia YF-19 is glued, everywhere. The shoulder armor alone is like 5 pieces. Many many small areas (especially painted/colored trim areas) are glued on. You'll note there are practically no external screw-holes---nor screw plugs! Because large segments/panels are glued on over the whole area. Basically, it's almost like there's an "inner frame" that is screwed together, then the outer beige plastic "shell" parts are glued onto that frame. Thus, new screw-holes nor visible screw-hole-plugs. Torso and shoulders especially are like this.

But this makes it almost impossible to disassemble. The hips and nose are the only areas that's really accessible.

PS---the big screws on the sides of the spine do nothing. Completely removing them---it's as super-tight as ever. (I was hoping to loosen it).

Really, overall, the YF-19's tightness is "opposite of how it should be". Transformation joints are rock hard, and difficult to force into position (even when you know exactly where and how it moves---like the GERWALK-thigh click-joint, or the spine-chest joint). But "posing" joints like shoulders and hip-A-stance are loose.

And I thought Amiami was the best place to get your goods. It really does suck that macross collectibles are not available around the world. I'd rather pay the 20-30$ price hike if they were available here in the states. Not to mention that since I live in Southern California most of my hobby shops are an hour away.

Dam you HG!

Also hope you two with the wing problems get it resolved fast.

Edited by VF-Zer0S

Really, overall, the YF-19's tightness is "opposite of how it should be". Transformation joints are rock hard, and difficult to force into position (even when you know exactly where and how it moves---like the GERWALK-thigh click-joint, or the spine-chest joint). But "posing" joints like shoulders and hip-A-stance are loose.

It is a little stiff, but i dont think excessively so. Maybe the head is a little stiffer than I'd like.

PatPal will only assist if you paid less than 45 days ago. There is no point in contacting your credit card company until you have heard back from Amiami. You will need to prove that Amiami is in violation of consumer laws before the CC will do anything. Your bank will request all communications with the vendor as well as all receipts and shipping notices etc - so don't throw away your EMS slips.

You could try contacting parts@hlj.com even if you didn't order through them. Include your customer number etc (if you have one). They used to have a service that sent out replacement parts even if you didn't order through them, but they may have stopped that a while ago.

hmm...I think we're mixing too many things at once.

Mommar and Kicker need to contact AmiAmi first and report their damaged goods, eventought it was an Arcadia QC issue, AmiAMi was the seller and are directly responsible for selling a broken product.

AmiAmi must then see if they can get a replacement part or replace the broken valk with a new one, but I don't know what their terms of service say about this.

If AmiAmi cannot get a replacement, they should issue a refund and any CC Bank involvement should be towards AmiAmi.

Arcadia is not required to issue a replacement directly to Mommar or Kicker, they must deal with the intermiate seller (AmiAmi), specially since it was sold outside of Japan. If Arcadia manages to get them replacements, I'll be very very impress with their customer service and I hope they do so.

Loving the bot mode so far. Have it posed right next to the VF-11B. Way better looking than those glossy maccross 7 valks with faces lol.

No loose arms or shoulders on mine.

I agree certain transforming bits are a bit too tight but I think over time these can get loose. Just keep transforming it. The GERWALK joints in the legs were very tight on mine.

hmm...I think we're mixing too many things at once.

Mommar and Kicker need to contact AmiAmi first and report their damaged goods, eventought it was an Arcadia QC issue, AmiAMi was the seller and are directly responsible for selling a broken product.

AmiAmi must then see if they can get a replacement part or replace the broken valk with a new one, but I don't know what their terms of service say about this.

If AmiAmi cannot get a replacement, they should issue a refund and any CC Bank involvement should be towards AmiAmi.

Arcadia is not required to issue a replacement directly to Mommar or Kicker, they must deal with the intermiate seller (AmiAmi), specially since it was sold outside of Japan. If Arcadia manages to get them replacements, I'll be very very impress with their customer service and I hope they do so.

I cannot understand what's up with these shops. Don't they have some insurance set-up about such things? We discuss them as if they are ebay sellers running their business from their living rooms with Paypal being their only resource as to what they ought to do as a seller. If they cannot offer the same terms to international customers then they ought to shut down their international sites, and make them order through Proxy service agents, and see their sales drop like flies. (perhaps not for macross products, but certainly for much else)

Did you buy it with paypal or a credit card....think it's time to take that route....you should be covered for damaged goods....just make sure you hold onto your shipping box and everything it came with in case they want proof that the damage was not via "shipping"......clearly it was not, but that is what paypal/CC will want to blame first...

Well that sucks. They should offered you at least a full refund if you send it back to them so you could order another unit. HLJ had them in stock the last time I checked their website. I hope you two get it sorted out somehow. I will have to send HLJ an email that they check my YF-19 when they ship it.

I'm sure even if you glue it together the seam line will be visible no matter what. Kickers YF-19 looks even worse. I cannot imagine what happened that would tear the tip of the wing completely off.

Did you buy it with paypal or a credit card....think it's time to take that route....you should be covered for damaged goods....just make sure you hold onto your shipping box and everything it came with in case they want proof that the damage was not via "shipping"......clearly it was not, but that is what paypal/CC will want to blame first...

Direct bank withdrawal via paypal. I'm going to go that route next. I'm also letting my Credit Union know what happened as well.