Arcadia YF-19 coming in 2014

SCOOPUDA!

I don't mind that they're ball joints so long as they're good ones. The way they currently are is one of the weak points of the VF-19s.

I agree, ball joints are largely a good idea. The Bandai's VF-25's,171's, etc... all make great use of them and pose really well. It would be nice to have the feet angled back further without having to worry about if it will ever stand in Battroid again or if the feet will always be floppy in fighter mode.

- still don't see what all the fuss is all about with those Ankles...

They tend to loose. My VF-19 left ankle wasn´t any a tight as the right, so in gerwalk the feet were so loose that the Valkyrie falls to the front. And, as you can see in my personal collection, I own quite a few to know how to pose them.

A little bit of Superglue and they are perfectly fine. The same with the VF-25 / 29

I love the ball jointed ankles, but they have to find a way to keep them more consistent. If you don´t have any problems, great :)

Edited by Astro_BS-AS

It's been gone over at length multiple times in various threads; they have either manufacturing or design defects that make them act nothing like an actual ball. An actual spherical joint shouldn't have a point where it gets tighter or looser, and forcing the joint to where you think it should move to winds up stretching it out so when you return it to center, there's no tension anymore. One of my Fire Valks has had the feet stretched out so I can do a good gerwalk pose, but returning the feet to center lets them spin around like a propeller.

Maybe it was improved at some point, since I've pretty much kept mine in fighter mode since the first couple of transformations. I only know that pushing the ankles back to get a good balanced gerwalk pose can loosen the ankles to the point that battroid mode can't stand up (without re-tightening the ankles somehow).

I agree, having a working ball joint would be a decent improvement over the ratchets. Hopefully they can improve what they've already done for this YF-19.

Either way, it won't stop me from buying. ^_^ Just would be nice if they figured out how to fix the ankles so they don't do that this time.

Edited by Chronocidal

I should check my 19's, but I've never posed them in gerwalk.

Just be careful when you're moving the ankles. If you feel drag when tilting the feet downwards better stop. Jenius has shown in his video review for the VF-19 a way to pose the toy in a semi-decent Gerwalk-pose without stressing the joints. Check it out.

Just be careful when you're moving the ankles. If you feel drag when tilting the feet downwards better stop. Jenius has shown in his video review for the VF-19 a way to pose the toy in a semi-decent Gerwalk-pose without stressing the joints. Check it out.

Then the argument becomes, we get one singular pose that doesn't stress the joint and that's it? Without pushing past that point i was able to get two poses. One that was relatively stable, and boring, the other was tenuous at best. Neither were the pose I wanted. I usually take pics of my Valks in Gerwalk because most other people don't favor the mode as much. There's a reason why I hardly have any of the 19 in Gerwalk, it's simply too much of a hassle and not much fun making that mode work. I finally forced my 19S into a Gerwalk pose that I'm relatively happy with, it's never changing into the other two modes again though.

The VF-17 has a better balljointed ankle, so I'm not worried if the YF-19 ends having a similar design.

The 17's ball joint is actually pretty much the same, it's just that there's more play in both the thigh joint and the fact the Valk isn't so front heavy that it's easier to do more dynamic poses with it. Very fun to try out different things with that Valk, actually.

Edited by Mommar

The 17's ball joint is actually pretty much the same, it's just that there's more play in both the thigh joint and the fact the Valk isn't so front heavy that it's easier to do more dynamic poses with it. Very fun to try out different things with that Valk, actually.

I'm not at home right now but, I have the impression the 17's ball joint has more back movement than the 19.

They're not so much spherical joints as they are slightly more oval. At least we can agree that it's a good thing if that can be improved, I think. I love the current mold and all but a few small issues could be worked on.

Then the argument becomes, we get one singular pose that doesn't stress the joint and that's it? Without pushing past that point i was able to get two poses. One that was relatively stable, and boring, the other was tenuous at best. Neither were the pose I wanted. I usually take pics of my Valks in Gerwalk because most other people don't favor the mode as much. There's a reason why I hardly have any of the 19 in Gerwalk, it's simply too much of a hassle and not much fun making that mode work. I finally forced my 19S into a Gerwalk pose that I'm relatively happy with, it's never changing into the other two modes again though.

The Gerwalk-Mode of the VF-19 line is certainly the weakest of the three and its one thing where Arcadia can improve. In the VF-19 thread there was a picture of the previous iteration of the YF-19 that shows how much you can tilt the feet of the Valkyrie downwards allowing the feet to come forward under the front of the fuselage. This allowed for a pretty good looking Gerwalk pose.

The bad ankles of the VF-19 in addition with not enough leg movement especially in the Gerwalk-joint make them look bad for my aesthetic sense. Because of the long forward fuselage and the general leg placement of the VF-19 design the feet have to come a long way forward to give a balanced look.

Another thing of the VF-19 angles is that they are to skinny when you expose the joint which I do when I pose the Valk with its other Macross 7 siblings. The VF-19 in Battroid-Mode is just to small and spindly compared to the others so I extend the legs to make it taler which exposes the join. Of course a solid block of metal in the angles would've resulted in a $50 higher MSRP and the missing missile launchers in the legs and maybe missing rear landing gear. :D

I always liked the way the ankles are in Bandais Renewal (+YF-29) and VF-171 line. Of course they are different planes that are differently designed but once again this is an area where Arcadia can improve.

I'm eagerly awaiting more prototype pictures from them. :)

I always liked the way the ankles are in Bandais Renewal (+YF-29) and VF-171 line. Of course they are different planes that are differently designed but once again this is an area where Arcadia can improve.

I'm eagerly awaiting more prototype pictures from them. :)

The ankles on the VF-171 and Renewal's really aren't that different from the 19. their both more or less the same design rotated 90 degrees.

Edited by anime52k8

I've said before that even if they do a v2 YF-19, I probably wouldn't buy it because I'm happy with the YF-19 I already have, and I'm still sticking with that, but I am SO HAPPY to see Arcadia pickup the baton and keep going with it here that I'm going to celebrate this along with everyone else.

YEAAAAAAH!!

I've been saying all along that all we were doing was circulating baseless rumors anyway and that we needed to wait for more information. I'm just thrilled that this information is something so very sweet.

The ankles on the VF-171 and Renewal's really aren't that different from the 19. their both more or less the same design rotated 90 degrees.

Really? Hm, I thought they had more bulk in the ankles then the VF-19. Gonna have to check them when I'm back home, where a pastel green something is awaiting me. :D

On the VF-19 and the VF-25's the core of the foot is a two part metal ball cup and metal ball/stem with some sort of plastic friction insert. then bother ball stems are connected to a block that slides in and out of the leg via a hinge joint that gives extra movement on one axis.

the difference there is that last hinge on the VF-19 is positioned to gives it side to side tilt, while the VF-25 hinge gives it forward and back tilt.

The other big difference is that the VF-25 ankle ball is set at an angle so that it can tuck into the extending part of the ankle. it looks more filled out in battroid mode but in gerwalk you can see what the actual joint structure looks like. (and really, the ankles aren't meant to be fully extended on the VF-19 to the point you can see the mechanics of the joints while in batroid mode).

The VF-171 has the ball stem fixed to the extending part of the leg and puts the hinge bellow the ball cup in the foot and again has the hing going in a forward/backwards direction.

Thanks for the explanation.

When I said differently designed I meant that on the VF-25 the metal block that is the ankle is meant to be visible when the foot extends. I thought the VF-171 has a block inside of the legs that hides the skinniness of the ankle better.

On the VF-19 they're not hidden and on the Shaorins picture you can clearly see the skinny ankle which I think looks ugly. For me this destroys the look of the Valkyrie because it is now obvious that it is a toy where a "real" VF-19 would have some sort of massive thruster block.

Sure they are all ball joints so you have a similar design I just think that Bandais Valkyries hide that better but maybe I have a wrong image of them in my mind.

So if Arcadia manages to hide that and allow for a good Gerwalk-Mode I will be glad otherwise the YF-19 will be a excellent toy if the incorporate all the improvements from the VF-19 line. Not perfect but still excellent and worth the money Arcadia is asking for (I assume 30k Yen :lol: ).

Man that looks good, i was worrying that it might look a little too " VF-19 " but that battroid image looks just about perfect.

Some people won't be happy that the gap in the chest plate is still there and that the canopy tint is still purple. B))

It seems like this time the gun-pod can be attached to the shield. Also the tail fins seem to fold in in the same boring way as they do on the VF-19

But they don't! How do you think they should fold?

On the predecessor the tail fins could slide upwards and then fold in where on the VF-19 they only fold in.

On the CAD image is a seam that goes through the entire lower leg indicating no moving parts in this area. So I figured that the only way the tail fins move is to fold inside just like on the VF-19.

HA!!!

attachicon.gifitem.jpg

Nice to see a full color rendering of the battroid mode. The gunpod looks like it's stored perpendicular to the shield. I couldn't tell from the CAD drawings, but is it attached to the shield or the back of the arm?

I'm going to have to get two when it comes out. Not sure what I'll do with my old ones when I do. Maybe just toss them in the trash (kidding! ...maybe). I never liked the sculpt of the original 1/60. There were just too many things that bothered me about it in fighter and battroid mode. GERWALK was probably its best (looking) mode, imo.

Some people won't be happy that the gap in the chest plate is still there and that the canopy tint is still purple. B))

It seems like this time the gun-pod can be attached to the shield. Also the tail fins seem to fold in in the same boring way as they do on the VF-19

There is no way to remove those gap unless the nose is pointing upwards or having flat chest plate like its predecessor, I don't understand what was the fuss about that either. Guess we can't get both in battroid and fighter.

On the predecessor the tail fins could slide upwards and then fold in where on the VF-19 they only fold in.

On the CAD image is a seam that goes through the entire lower leg indicating no moving parts in this area. So I figured that the only way the tail fins move is to fold inside just like on the VF-19.

Technically though, that's accurate. The tails were only ever supposed to fold directly to the side. The sliding mechanism was just to get them out of the way of the feet on the v.1. I'm guessing whatever new ankle design they're using makes it so that isn't necessary anymore.

As far as the purple canopy goes, remember, the VF-19 cad images had those too. It's just a software coloring.

Edited by Chronocidal

Technically though, that's accurate. The tails were only ever supposed to fold directly to the side. The sliding mechanism was just to get them out of the way of the feet on the v.1. I'm guessing whatever new ankle design they're using makes it so that isn't necessary anymore.

As far as the purple canopy goes, remember, the VF-19 cad images had those too. It's just a software coloring.

Yes in the line-art they just fold in. However I always thought that the sliding part was cool and the process on the VF-19 was a little boring due to less moving parts. You could say that from an engineering standpoint I prefer the current YF-19 over the VF-19.

I don't say that I don't like the canopy color I just pointed out that some people are not happy about that. :D