Arcadia YF-19 coming in 2014

SCOOPUDA!

• 2 months later...

Finally after a long year of nakeness... got my YF-19 dressed as it should of out of the box.

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=35120&p=1198988

Amazing, wm cheng!

Hope you don't mind, but since I still don't have an Arcadia YF-19, I made a quick before/after pic so I could admire all the intricate details you added in there. (The "before" photo I used is from http://www.gunjap.net/.)

Thanks for sharing your great work! Definitely agree that the 19 should've come with most of those markings tampo'ed on out of the box.

wmcheng_yf19_beforeafter.jpg

I think this would have been my ultimate toy if the ankle joints were tighter (they are far, far looser than all my many Yamato VF-19 toys) and with no high speed mode, which I really hate, as the wings don't hold fully forward swept position in fighter mode, especially loaded with missiles and tend to creep backwards.

I think this would have been my ultimate toy if the ankle joints were tighter (they are far, far looser than all my many Yamato VF-19 toys) and with no high speed mode, which I really hate, as the wings don't hold fully forward swept position in fighter mode, especially loaded with missiles and tend to creep backwards.

This can be alleviated by tightening the rivet with a pliers. Make sure to use a towel/cloth/rag in between the metal bar and the pliers so your don't mar the surface.

I warned, back when that gimmick was first announced, that the plucked turkey mode would be highly underused/almost useless but it would have major affects on how the rest of the toy would perform.

This can be alleviated by tightening the rivet with a pliers. Make sure to use a towel/cloth/rag in between the metal bar and the pliers so your don't mar the surface.

How do you tighten a rivot???

Edited by Mommar

Could you show us? I have mine all packed up, and the one I did take out only had it's landing gears pulled out then set on a table. After it sat there for a while I boxed it back up, not because I hate the toy but because I have a serious space/display area issue that I am too lazy to deal with lately lol.

Edited by Loop

Could you show us? I have mine all packed up, and the one I did take out only had it's landing gears pulled out then set on a table. After it sat there for a while I boxed it back up, not because I hate the toy but because I have a serious space/display area issue that I am too lazy to deal with lately lol.

All of my valks are boxed up for a move. It should be pretty easy. Gently extend the wing outward to expose the metal arm. Pad the pliers with a rag or paper towel to save the metal from getting marred. Place the pliers over the rivot making sure that when applying pressure the pliers will only make contact with the rivot on the top and bottom. Squeeze.start off lightly and go from there. Be careful, and mindful of how much pressure you are exerting, and make sure the figure is supported. I could take pics in a few weeks if needed, but common sense should go a long way in trying this on your own.

• 3 weeks later...

All of my valks are boxed up for a move. It should be pretty easy. Gently extend the wing outward to expose the metal arm. Pad the pliers with a rag or paper towel to save the metal from getting marred. Place the pliers over the rivot making sure that when applying pressure the pliers will only make contact with the rivot on the top and bottom. Squeeze.start off lightly and go from there. Be careful, and mindful of how much pressure you are exerting, and make sure the figure is supported. I could take pics in a few weeks if needed, but common sense should go a long way in trying this on your own.

Did as you described, Chaotic, and now my YF-19's wings are super solid. The only way the wings will move now is if I actively move them. I also tightened the screws which connect the metal arms to the wings. They're stiff enough to load up with missiles and they won't move out of position by themselves, no matter how much swooshing you do with it. Thank goodness I happened upon your post. Thanks!!!!!

Edited by whitestar

Did as you described, Chaotic, and now my YF-19's wings are super solid. The only way the wings will move now is if I actively move them. I also tightened the screws which connect the metal arms to the wings. They're stiff enough to load up with missiles and they won't move out of position by themselves, no matter how much swooshing you do with it. Thank goodness I happened upon your post. Thanks!!!!!

Whew. Glad I could help!

I still need to give that a go. I don't really want to break it however, as I age it seems my mechanical inclinations are deteriorating.

I still need to give that a go. I don't really want to break it however, as I age it seems my mechanical inclinations are deteriorating.

You can always pinch the rivet a second or third time, so no reason to go gorilla on the first try.

I just did the rivet-tightening, and kept applying more and more pressure. At the end, it was flat-out as hard as I could squeeze (punched through the cotton cloth I was using to prevent marring)--and while it's less loose, it still won't hold very well. Mine was insanely floppy to start with. It can only be improved so much.

(it's the right wing on mine that's really bad---the left was sorta loose and is now decently tight--but the right one went from "won't even hold against gravity" to "now takes a slight amount of finger pressure" to move)

I warned, back when that gimmick was first announced, that the plucked turkey mode would be highly underused/almost useless but it would have major affects on how the rest of the toy would perform.

Hate can be a powerful word and I don't often feel that I truly really hate anything but the high speed mode is one of the very few exceptions. I don't even think that it properly fits in with the whole Valkyrie concept and comes across as a carelessly processed afterthought. But if you said it was a stow position for carrier based deployment then yeah I could see it work quite well even if no one would actually ever display their toy in positively ugly configuration. Given the compromises to the functionality of the toy as a result then it clearly could have been left out of the final product. And besides the lack of those few components involved to facilitate that function in the final design would have been a welcomed absence and just one less thing to break, wear out and become lose or what have you. Ok so it may be anime accurate to incorporate that particular mode but even the animators should have known better as it plain and simply looks total crap..

I have always kept my Arcadia 19 in fighter mode the whole time I've owned it and always found that I could never get both wings to sit in the very same position to each other and the problem was only made worse when having any ordnance fitted. Im curious whether or not the physical components could be removed to delete the function?

Maybe some one could 3D print up some new parts to replace?

Edited by spanner76

Spanner you almost read my mind, I was designing Isamu's Bike last week and said to myself that I could just design the inner parts I have pictured a few pages at the beginning of this thread and replace all the messy metal bars from Arcadia

Edited by Xigfrid

Hate can be a powerful word and I don't often feel that I truly really hate anything but the high speed mode is one of the very few exceptions. I don't even think that it properly fits in with the whole Valkyrie concept and comes across as a carelessly processed afterthought. But if you said it was a stow position for carrier based deployment then yeah I could see it work quite well even if no one would actually ever display their toy in positively ugly configuration. Given the compromises to the functionality of the toy as a result then it clearly could have been left out of the final product. And besides the lack of those few components involved to facilitate that function in the final design would have been a welcomed absence and just one less thing to break, wear out and become lose or what have you. Ok so it may be anime accurate to incorporate that particular mode but even the animators should have known better as it plain and simply looks total crap..

I have always kept my Arcadia 19 in fighter mode the whole time I've owned it and always found that I could never get both wings to sit in the very same position to each other and the problem was only made worse when having any ordnance fitted. Im curious whether or not the physical components could be removed to delete the function?

Maybe some one could 3D print up some new parts to replace?

I'm not sure if they've ever shown it in official art somewhere but in the Master File books they do actually use that mode as a stow on the carriers...

Oh wait, no, I just looked again and they actually only do it with the wing roots folded down and the wings folded like in when it's in Battroid mode. Back to hating, because it's a dumb mode. My biggest issue is that the wings never quite sit at the same angle because it's affected by where the metal bars are mounted and their length. On my 19 the metal bars are definitely not cut to the same length, and I've noticed in many other photos, that the they aren't cut correct on any of them so the wings are ever so slightly not symmetric on each side of the valk in fighter.

Like Yeti said, tighten up the rivets. You really cannot remove the mechanism. It's mounted all the way into the root and would probably require breaking plastic to get at. Plus you would have to add a new mounting point someplace. I already did some exploratory work because i was curious how the mechanism worked and the part of the metal that's mounted to the wing root is tucked behind a big chunk of plastic, you can actually damage the plastic inside if you're too rough flipping that metal bar back and forth too.

I still don't understand why they opted against molding some nubs into the bars with slots in the wings so that the wing is locked in the three main positions. Maybe it was just to much variable geometry in the wing. :)

In my opinion it would have suffice to have a locking point for Battroid-Mode only because there the wings are perpendicular to the ground.

• 2 weeks later...

I was posing my arcadia YF-19 and noticed that the ankles had loosened. I had dropped some future into the ankle joint around the time that I got it, and that seemed to work. Well seeing as to how they had once again become un-pose-ably loose, I decided to do it right.

This is not for the faint of heart. If you have an reservations about harming your figure, please do not attempt. Removing the ankles in this way will slightly stress the plastic on the inside of the foot.

Make sure your feet are fully extended to allow you the best access to the ankle.

OWCTAqil.jpg

Remove the foot covers. There are 2 covers that are pegged in and held by a screw.

YiA2Ab8l.jpg

QPlFKuGl.jpg

Remove the screws on the inside of the foot. The rear of the feet will require you popping the foot piece off of the metal pin in order the access the screw.

NI6lObhl.jpg

Rotate and bend the ankle joint to work the pins loose. I had to apply a lot of force to do this. Go steady and slow, applying more force as you go. Just do a little at a time.

bPeRnpjl.jpg

expiJVcl.jpg

This was the gap I was left with after removing the foot. I ended up with small stress marks on the inside of the foot where the metal pin holds them in place. I consider this to be a minor issue, because the foot covers will go back on covering this area.

QNFraCol.jpg

I used a q-tip to apply future polish to the ball joints, and I also lightly coated the inside of the ball socket on the foot. I waited 20 minutes, and than applied a second thin coat.

a2VVq6xl.jpg

A little over 8 hours later I reassembled the feet and now have a 19 that won't topple over.

zRcUuZLl.jpg

BHAfUyCl.jpg

I hope this helps you if you decide to fix yours.

Very cool! I've said this before but we should start a thread that acts like a repository for all the fixes and disassembly instructions we've had over the years for easy reference.

hi, new guy here. once had a YAMATO YF-19, suffered the grey plastic shoulder failure. jumped right on pre-order of the ARCADIA treatment, sure glad i did.

sure it was expensive, but oh so worth it!! it and the YAMATO M7 -19's are, IMHO, the very best MACROSS toys ever made, and the 1/60 VF-19S in paricular

is the most perfect MACROSS toy of all time. in general, the YAMATO/ARCADIA -19 series, AFAIAC,

are THE perfect marriage of 1980's-like build quality and 21st century transforming mecha toy design...

VF-19S-YF-19%201-60%206-30-15_zpsqkso5xd

Edited by Hazuki

hi, new guy here. once had a YAMATO YF-19, suffered the grey plastic shoulder failure. jumped right on pre-order of the ARCADIA treatment, sure glad i did.

sure it was expensive, but oh so worth it!! it and the YAMATO M7 -19's are, IMHO, the very best MACROSS toys ever made, and the 1/60 VF-19S in paricular

is the most perfect MACROSS toy of all time. in general, the YAMATO/ARCADIA -19 series, AFAIAC,

are THE perfect marriage of 1980's-like build quality and 21st century transforming mecha toy design...

VF-19S-YF-19%201-60%206-30-15_zpsqkso5xd

Welcome abord Hazuki. :)

Yup, I do love my Arcadia YF-19 too, that's why I have two of them. ^_^ So what are your take on the Bandai's VF-19 Advance? ;)

i wouldn't mind owning one, wish i could swing one while they're still "affordable" but i just can not at present.

as it was, i was damned lucky to have -just- been able to afford my ARCADIA last year, wish i could have managed a spare copy,

perhaps i'll get lucky in the future.

i

really like the BANDAI's nosecone profile, as i've always found YAMATO/ARCADIA's 19 nose sculpts just a tad too aggressively "droopy" for my taste.

all the same, while i do own plenty of BANDAI products, - including a 1/55 VF-1J Hikaru T.V. 2001 and a 1985 HCM of the same -

i do tend towards a strong bias and overall loyalty towards YAMATO/ARCADIA, since they have taken great care of us MACROSS fans the world over,

while BANDAI was spending all that time seemingly willfully ignoring that same fanbase, perhaps out of spite for not being GUNDAM fans first and foremost,

or for whatever reason that only BANDAI themselves seem to know.

YAMATO/ARCADIA have made a lot of misteps, shafting a lot of fans in the process, to be quite sure, but it seems to me

that otherwise the firms have done everything they ever have with the greater good of the average MACROSS fan firmly in mind...

Edited by Hazuki

[edit:] Damn it!

So I really like the Arcadia YF-19 and I think I will prefer it as a toy over Bandais offering. However I'm always staggered when I see an image of the VF-19Advanced underbelly. The way the chest tubes store away gives it such a sleek look.

Edited by Scyla