I know that this:

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=26575&&page=3

...is the general MW Orguss topic, but I figured since it hadn't been updated since 2008 it would be OK to start a new thread.... now that it has been revealed to be on the way for an autumn release on Blu-ray!

Remastered in high definition!

post-1318-0-56114800-1371698994_thumb.jpg

(revealed inside the Macross Plus boxset)

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=37865&p=1055413

This page should be updated with details soon:

http://www.toei-video.co.jp/BD/orguss.html

Wasn't it released with subs essentially on DVD-Rs by someone a few years back? Keith would know. Calling Keith....

It did see a limited release by ImaginAsian a cable channel. The problem was it was made to order, had disc defects, and wasn't around for very long. That's why I specified "mass release":

It did see a limited release by ImaginAsian a cable channel. The problem was it was made to order, had disc defects, and wasn't around for very long. That's why I specified "mass release":

^^^This. Also, to say the disc's had defects is putting things nicely, there were bad batches aplenty with that release. The subtitles also left a bit desired. Much better than an HK sub by lightyears, but still sub par. With that said, now Macross, Mospeada (coming soon), and Orguss will all be on bluray. Where the hell is Southern Cross?

Well, I'd love to get my hands on Orguss with good subs but I think the 100 fold was from 0.01% to 1%.

So that's only .99% better than where we were last week with our chances?

I would argue we're at least 1.3 to 2.2% closer.

I'm in for this with subs, always wanted to see it...

Edited by DarrinG

So that's only .99% better than where we were last week with our chances?

I would argue we're at least 1.3 to 2.2% closer.

I'm in for this with subs, always wanted to see it...

Discotek Media is releasing/released the first Lupin series, original Cutey Honey, Mazinger, and Captain Harlock along with obscure titles like Mighty Space Miners(go planet Jackson!!!).

Nozomi/Right Stuf is releasing/released all of Original Dirty Pair, Original Space Adventure Cobra, and Rose of Versailles.

Sentai Filmworks is even releasing the original Science Team Gatchaman remastered.

With things like this happening lately I'd say the chances of getting Orguss in the next three years is about 60% unlike LotGH which is 0.00000000000001%. Two big things in Orguss favor is that it's getting remastered, and subtitles already exist for it.

Two big things in Orguss favor is that it's getting remastered, and subtitles already exist for it.

If you are referring to ImaginAsian's subs, I doubt that the Japanese side of things is going to license those materials from them.

If the license is free over here, I wonder how much it'd be to get the license to put it out?

I don't know, but it should already be freed up, since TMS has strict policies on their international licensing contracts. They have told me that licenses are never more than 3 years, after which they extend or cancel after renegotiation -- which, in this case, it is clear what happened since ImaginAsian has been rather quiet for about 6 or 7 years. It's possible TMS could lend them out to Discotek if there were to be dialogue between them. My question is: What about the US Renditions dub? Did ImaginAsian approach USR to license that? If so, could Discotek make a deal to include that audio in their version, too? At this stage, this is all just one giant jenga tower of speculation, though. :p

I'm pretty sure Orguss on Blu-ray will not have subtitles in Japan, though. I am also rather cautious regarding the "remaster" -- We'll have to wait and see. I'll definitely be buying it regardless, so watch this space(-time oscillation bomb). :)

My question is: What about the US Renditions dub? Did ImaginAsian approach USR to license that? If so, could Discotek make a deal to include that audio in their version, too? At this stage, this is all just one giant jenga tower of speculation, though. :p

Since no one acquired the Orguss license when US Renditions folded, all of the material USR possessed should've gone back to Big West and Tokyo Movie Shinsha, including the dub.

I didn't know there were any manufacturer defects with the ImaginAsian DVD's. I've got the box set and all of my discs play perfectly.

Since no one acquired the Orguss license when US Renditions folded, all of the material USR possessed should've gone back to Big West and Tokyo Movie Shinsha, including the dub.

I didn't know there were any manufacturer defects with the ImaginAsian DVD's. I've got the box set and all of my discs play perfectly.

It could be that the DVD-Rs they used weren't compatible with all types of player, I don't know. But they sure disappeared fast.

Anyway, thanks for the clarification. OK, so I assume TMS can provide the dub if an overseas distributor were to ask for it, since that seems to have happened with the IA set. Well, that's nice to know. :)

I'm pretty sure Orguss on Blu-ray will not have subtitles in Japan, though. I am also rather cautious regarding the "remaster" -- We'll have to wait and see. I'll definitely be buying it regardless, so watch this space(-time oscillation bomb). :)

post-939-0-66083500-1371820504_thumb.jpg

There was the missing english dub in disc 5 or 6 I think. Mine all play great, even though disc 8 takes awhile to load. I'll be hoping for english dubs on the bluray set, or a U.S. release of it.

While this is only my opinion, I don't think theres a hope in hell that this will get English subs and theres not a single precedent to date (ie, a boxset on a 1980's TV series with Eng subs on BD in Japan) to suggest otherwise.

Edited by Tochiro

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...