• 1 month later...

On the left---the SDCC-exclusive (boo!) Unikitty. On the right---the new mass-release cheap set that'll have Angrykitty and Batman (yay!)

ff4dc51bf169d6bbf526c425b56adc4d093c85d3

If the pic is accurate, there's printing on her upper 1x3 plate for her eyebrows, on each side. Has a plate ever been printed on the side before?

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw the movie on DB and it was OK up till the end. I had a couple of good laughs from it.

I mean really, Dad is a mean person since he wants to build something nice and all the kid wants to do is make a freaking mess - and we are supposed to side with the kid?

I came away with a different impression.

The father and son had something of a broken relationship. They were unable to talk to each other effectively one on one in the beginning of the film, although they had this common interest in Lego. The son tearing down and rebuilding parts of the city was more of a metaphor for his wish to tear down and rebuild his relationship with his Dad. He just wanted to be closer to him.

Edited by technoblue

I came away with a different impression.

The father and son had something of a broken relationship. They were unable to talk to each other effectively one on one in the beginning of the film, although they had this common interest in Lego. The son tearing down and rebuilding parts of the city was more of a metaphor for his wish to tear down and rebuild his relationship with his Dad. He just wanted to be closer to him.

Ooh, that's a neat way to look at it. But I can also appreciate Dynaman's perspective. Here are my thoughts:

While Dad is clearly a big time AFOL - which is OK - he errs in 2 big ways:

1) By intending to glue all of his creations together, he's violating the premise of Lego - the ability to create, teardown & recreate something new. As a smasher of my brother's creations (sorry, man) - I've tried to instill the value of "Oh well, now I'll create something even cooler!" in my kid. Lego is inherently about exploring one's creativity. Dad/Lord Business's goal was to stifle creativity. Yes, he's built awesome stuff, but refused to allow it to change or advance further.

2) Dad's Lego hobby was entirely separate and unequal to his son's. Dad possessed scads of organized & special pieces, as well as the space to build Bricksburg, Middle Zealand & the Old West. His son was given the leftovers, the jumble of random pieces (like those damn buckets) that you could be creative with, but could not construct something amazing. And he had to keep his stuff in the small area by the Xmas decorations. Building off of technoblue's idea, not only was he ready to create more complex things, but he wanted to do so WITH his Dad.

As a side note - I just realized that the pile of random pieces that the kid got to play with resembled the wreckage of Cloud Cuckoo Land. Seems like the ideal place for the Master Builders to gather, and would also explain a lot of the random architecture & wacky denizens there.

Edited by Kelsain

Yup, that is what they were trying to do but it was so over the top that it fell flat. IMHO that is. I think the movie succeeded in its main purpose though - now I want to go out and buy a bunch of lego sets!

LOL wasn't that it's only purpose ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

BTW, from reviews online----the SDCC Unikitty faces have much more opaque white printing. (the standard release really is more like a light pink face, as it's so thin and transparent). Hopefully future Unikittys will have this improved printing. (LEGO does seem aware of her popularity, and plan even more releases)

I was actually hoping for improved printing on the "second batch" of first-wave movie sets, as it was apparent from the very earliest ones that the face was more pink than white, but it didn't happen. (as I have a "2nd batch" Cloud Cuckoo Palace)

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...