The Lego Movie is an upcoming 3D animated film directed by Phil Lord & Chris Miller (Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs) and Chris McKay (Robot Chicken), and will be the first full-length movie based on the bestselling Lego toy line. The film features the voices of Chris Pratt (Peter Quill/Star-Lord in Guardians of the Galaxy, Andy in Parks and Recreation), Elizabeth Banks (Betty Brant in Spider-Man 1-3, Effie in The Hunger Games), Alison Brie (Trudy in Mad Men), Nick Offerman (Ron in Parks and Recreation), Charlie Day (Newt in Pacific Rim, Charlie in It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia), Will Ferrell (like no one here knows him...), Liam Neeson (as if no one's heard of him...), Morgan Freeman (again, like no one's familiar with him), and Will Arnett (G.O.B. in Arrested Development, Devon in 30 Rock) as Batman.

The Lego Movie hits theaters on February 7, 2014.

Official Site Edited by areaseven

I kinda enjoyed the LEGO Batman movie, kinda fun, and I would probably like this if it has the same or better production values, but I would probably just rent the movie rather than paying full price to watch it in a theatre.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I... just noticed. The 80s space guy's helmet chin.. is cracked. Oh the memories. :lol:

I think this has a ton of potential to be hilarious, but I do wonder if the humor is going to hit Family Guy-ish levels of self-reference that many people might not get.

Edited by Chronocidal

• 3 weeks later...

Tough to say. There are a few spots where there are "angry/scary" faces but they are quick and usually followed by something funny. My daughter is 6 and she didn't have a problem and there were lots of younger kids at the theater too. I think it would be ok, and I'm not the type that let's my kids watch anything just because it's (cool,I want to see it, ect) like so many parents do now-a-days.

Chris

A big chunk of the movie's enjoyment is based on "how much do you like Batman" (and even Batman memes).

Do you enjoy HISHE-style Batman? Because that's the Batman here. (which is a hilariously awesome Batman IMHO)

PS---if you really like Lego Batman, be sure to stay for the whole credits to hear the whole Batman song. (there is no after-credits scene though, so there's no reason to stay besides the soundtrack---including the Everything is Awesome remix)

That is not it. I mean it does annoy me when characters point out their mistakes outside of parodies (like it is law for "good" movies to do this in this day and age and if you don't you're "bad"), but I can tolerate it. Then they throw in

a dad and son bit about perfection versus creativity and it tries too hard to be "emotional" and junk. They make the point that you should never follow instructions? For a movie about being yourself it seems like "oh do it our way, that way is wrong!" This is also ignoring that bit with the security footage (it is stock footage and HOW DID THEY GET THOSE CAMERA ANGLES?). On top of that it is just mean spirited (were they insulting Bionicle? REALLY? And making Green Lantern that pathetic?) Plus half the characters are annoying.

"SPACESHIP!"

Quite possibly the best family movie this year. The CGI works very seamlessly to give the illusion of actual Lego bricks and figures in motion - right down to ocean ripples and transparent flame bits for the explosions. And the plot twist in the middle of the film is priceless.

Ironically...

- ... this is Shaquille O'Neal's best movie. :lol:

- ... this is the best portrayal of Green Lantern on the big screen.

- ... this is Channing Tatum's best performance, aside from playing himself in This Is the End.

- ... Cobie Smulders has played two superheroines from the two main rival companies within the span of just two years.

It's just too bad...

- ... Harrison Ford didn't reprise his role as Han Solo, given that Anthony Daniels and Billy Dee Williams were in the film.

I went to see this yesterday with the family. For some reason, I went into the theater assuming that it was going to be a hot mess of CGI. I guess I wasn't paying attentiong to the teasers and previews. Whatever the case, I was pleased to be so very, very wrong. The stop-motion work is great, and the CGI effects that are present merely enhance the Legos used in each scene. I was really into the look from beginning to end. And that is saying a lot since I was in a big room filled with a bunch of kids.

So how is this as a family film? My niece was with us and she is in middle school now. There were plenty of kids her age in the theater with us, as well as a bunch of smaller children. I think everyone enjoyed seeing the Legos come to life on the big screen; however, there are a number of pop-culture references that set the jokes throughout. Older kids and adults were into these but the younger kids missed them. If your child is wise in the ways of geekdom, then this will be an excellent film. If not, but they do like Legos, then it should be pretty cool.

As for the rest:

I enjoyed the plot twist in this movie, especially the moments at the end between the father and son. The movie could have gone in a number of different directions when introducing the real-world relics, but I thought that its method of breaking the third wall worked well as a family parable. And the humor ranged from subtle to laugh-out-loud funny at times. Finally, I do not think this movie is enforcing extremes in any way. In other words, I don't think it is saying that being creative is good or bad or that following instructions is good or bad. On the contrary, the resolution came when the father and son sat down, talked things through, and stopped fighting each other.

Oh, and that voice cast was most impressive. Well done!

- ... Harrison Ford didn't reprise his role as Han Solo, given that Anthony Daniels and Billy Dee Williams were in the film.

Wow. Really? Whoever was doing that voice was spot on.

Edited by technoblue