Robotech - Love Live Alive + Shadow Chronicles 2-movie set

I always felt when HG promoted LLA with having new footage they were always talking about the LLA footage & the RageX animation fillers. To an anime vet who has seen the uncut LLA I would imagine you'd ask "Well how come animation from 1985 be considered new?" To a layman or someone who watched RT but never seen LLA the scenes from LLA could be considered new. I think at one point HG might've been claiming the footage was lost.

I always felt when HG promoted LLA with having new footage they were always talking about the LLA footage & the RageX animation fillers. To an anime vet who has seen the uncut LLA I would imagine you'd ask "Well how come animation from 1985 be considered new?" To a layman or someone who watched RT but never seen LLA the scenes from LLA could be considered new. I think at one point HG might've been claiming the footage was lost.

If this was released before the Internet age, I'd probably believe it. But as it is 2013, they can say such things because let's face it, there's no one who can dispute any claims they put out there legally outside of Japan. Not even the actual creators. At this point I think they can pretty much lie without any repercussions whatsoever and there will be people out there who will believe whatever they say.

• 2 weeks later...

Most likely, LLA was released by HG to keep the Robotech name out there. The live action movie is where they are laying all their cards from what I can see. The new crossover comic book with Voltron is once again trying to kickstart some excitement among fans who haven't had much to be interested in since the last comics came out and the terrible Shadow movie was released. (Please note: most Robotech fans thought it was horrible, but mainly because we had read "The End of the Circle" and while a messy conclusion it was at least somewhat satisfying. Shadow spent over an hour doing really nothing!).

It is apparent that HG is not going to do anything new with the property until the movie is released. Apparently that is somewhat at the request of the studio. So nothing really new with Toynami, no new games, no new apps, and no new animation. LLA was safe in that it really didn't cover any new ground. The crossover will plainly be a 'seperate universe' thing.

But to be fair, Macross went through a long dry spell too. It has had some mis-steps. I enjoyed Macross Plus but it wasn't so much Macross but rather a story in that universe about three people; it wasn't terribly epic. The music and animation, though, were awesome.

I don't know if the movie will ever happen. If it does, will they make it in such a way that could easily be adapted into Macross? I would imagine, with Hollywood seeking to break into those markets more and more, it would make sense to have dialogue that could easily be reworked and a licensing agreement in Japan for this. The biggest challenge with a movie is making more than just an adaption of the cartoons. Would they just follow their history and rework DYRL? I think they were hoping for a trilogy of movies but even with that you would likely lose the mythos of both Robotech and Macross and just end up with a SFX movie.

So, HG has to wait until a movie moves forward to do anything unique. And that is disappointing.

1) It is apparent that HG is not going to do anything new with the property until the movie is released. Apparently that is somewhat at the request of the studio. So nothing really new with Toynami, no new games, no new apps, and no new animation. LLA was safe in that it really didn't cover any new ground. The crossover will plainly be a 'seperate universe' thing.

2)But to be fair, Macross went through a long dry spell too. It has had some mis-steps. I enjoyed Macross Plus but it wasn't so much Macross but rather a story in that universe about three people; it wasn't terribly epic. The music and animation, though, were awesome.

3) I don't know if the movie will ever happen. If it does, will they make it in such a way that could easily be adapted into Macross? I would imagine, with Hollywood seeking to break into those markets more and more, it would make sense to have dialogue that could easily be reworked and a licensing agreement in Japan for this. The biggest challenge with a movie is making more than just an adaption of the cartoons. Would they just follow their history and rework DYRL? I think they were hoping for a trilogy of movies but even with that you would likely lose the mythos of both Robotech and Macross and just end up with a SFX movie.

4) So, HG has to wait until a movie moves forward to do anything unique. And that is disappointing.

1) Wait, has HG done anything with the property? Seriously...LLA is recap and the new animation is laughable. What did they use Adobe Acrobat? According to Tommy the studio never asked them to halt any animated features. That's just a retcon from what you theorize, truth is, its all b/s. Toys? Games? Music? Oh my...well they have a tabletop rpg if you have the time and cash to spend on it.

2)Macross dry spell? Now are you comparing these "dry spells" to HG's Robotech franchise? If that is the case...then lets take a look...

1982-83: SDF: Macross is released in Japan

1984: DYRL is released

1985-86: Robotech is aired in the USA

1985-94: Various Robotech short series comics, ie, TV series adaptation, Sentinels, Invid War, Aftermath, etc.

1987: SDFM: Flashback 2012 released

1992: Macross II series/OVA

1994-95: Macross Plus OVA

1994-94: Macross 7 TV series aires in Japan.

1994-2001: Macross 7: Trash-manga series.

1995: Macross Plus: Movie Edition

1995: Macross 7 The Movie: The Galaxy is Calling Me!

1995: Macross 7: Encore

1997-98: Macross Dynamite 7

2002-04: Macross Zero

2003: Robotech Yune Comics launched, From the Stars, Love and War, Invasion

2005-06: Robotech: Prelude to Shadow Chronicles released

2007: Macross Frontier manga

2007: Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles OVA is released

2008: Macross Frontier TV Series

2009-Present: Macross: The First

2009: Macross Frontier Movie: The False Songstress

2010-11: Macross: The Ride

2011: Macross Frontier Movie II: The Wings of Goodbye

2012: Macross FB 7: Ore no Uta Kike!

2012: Robotech: It's You (Limited Edition EP) released on CD :lol:

2013: Robotech: Love Live Alive OVA is released.

Call me crazy, but the "dry spells" look pretty obvious. I'll agree not all Macross is zomg epiccccc...but there is a constant effort to keep the story fresh for its fans.

3) Forget about the movie, it will save you time on your next post.

4) The biggest disappointment about HG is that they do not sell the rights to Macross so we the fans here in USA can enjoy the series we all love to its fullest.

I'd wager good money that we'll see an animated Macross: The First series before "Shadow Rising" is ever released.

Edited by Zor Primus

I wouldn't call them "dry spells" so much as Kawamori taking a vacation. Sometimes his vacations result in odd Aquarion-esque adventures, other times we get a pretty cool AKB0048 series to fill in the gap. I don't mind either way. Macross is fun, and at times it can be intense, but there is more to anime and life than Macross.

I think you will find that most of the classic era Robotech fans are tired of the new Tommy Yune HG.

I wish Tom Bateman's script for Shadow Force was made instead of what we got. Much better. HG seems to have no idea what its fanbase wants so it gives them nothing or just rehash.

That being said I thought Robotech LLA was much better than Shadow Chronicles. (but had I gone that route I would have made it more like the Mospeada version with the newer takes of the songs Michael Bradley did and also add the new animation segments)

I wouldn't call them "dry spells" so much as Kawamori taking a vacation. Sometimes his vacations result in odd Aquarion-esque adventures, other times we get a pretty cool AKB0048 series to fill in the gap. I don't mind either way. Macross is fun, and at times it can be intense, but there is more to anime and life than Macross.

A simpler, business-minded explanation: he and co. set out to do something, made some promises to fans, and simply delivered them in a timely fashion most of the time. When they started something, they made sure to finish it. They didn't spend years making up excuses for project delays and unfufilled promises while moving on to other plans out of the blue.

Also, it's easy to think a franchise is going through a dry spell when it can only operate freely in one part of the world thanks to harsh legal restrictions, as Zor Primus showed.

Edited by Einherjar

A simpler, business-minded explanation: he and co. set out to do something, made some promises to fans, and simply delivered them in a timely fashion most of the time. When they started something, they made sure to finish it. They didn't spend years making up excuses for project delays and unfufilled promises while moving on to other plans out of the blue.

Also, it's easy to think a franchise is going through a dry spell when it can only operate freely in one part of the world thanks to harsh legal restrictions, as Zor Primus showed.

True. And a good way to look at it too.

Tommy is the largest reason Robotech is suffering IMO. He has a stranglehold on the franchise because in reality there is no one to questions him. Agrama has his own things to deal with and aside from him, everyone else involved is below Tommy in position or won't stand up to him. He has mismanaged the franchise greatly. I still have no clue about who would like his comic art style but it is very unappealing. He is very defensive and talks in circles and is one of those people that says a lot to cover up that he is actually not saying much.

RT could be great but it needs a serious reboot or better talent managing it....both

1) Wait, has HG done anything with the property? Seriously...LLA is recap and the new animation is laughable. What did they use Adobe Acrobat? According to Tommy the studio never asked them to halt any animated features. That's just a retcon from what you theorize, truth is, its all b/s. Toys? Games? Music? Oh my...well they have a tabletop rpg if you have the time and cash to spend on it.

2)Macross dry spell? Now are you comparing these "dry spells" to HG's Robotech franchise? If that is the case...then lets take a look...

1982-83: SDF: Macross is released in Japan

1984: DYRL is released

1985-86: Robotech is aired in the USA

1985-94: Various Robotech short series comics, ie, TV series adaptation, Sentinels, Invid War, Aftermath, etc.

1987: SDFM: Flashback 2012 released

1992: Macross II series/OVA

1994-95: Macross Plus OVA

1994-94: Macross 7 TV series aires in Japan.

1994-2001: Macross 7: Trash-manga series.

1995: Macross Plus: Movie Edition

1995: Macross 7 The Movie: The Galaxy is Calling Me!

1995: Macross 7: Encore

1997-98: Macross Dynamite 7

2002-04: Macross Zero

2003: Robotech Yune Comics launched, From the Stars, Love and War, Invasion

2005-06: Robotech: Prelude to Shadow Chronicles released

2007: Macross Frontier manga

2007: Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles OVA is released

2008: Macross Frontier TV Series

2009-Present: Macross: The First

2009: Macross Frontier Movie: The False Songstress

2010-11: Macross: The Ride

2011: Macross Frontier Movie II: The Wings of Goodbye

2012: Macross FB 7: Ore no Uta Kike!

2012: Robotech: It's You (Limited Edition EP) released on CD :lol:

2013: Robotech: Love Live Alive OVA is released.

Call me crazy, but the "dry spells" look pretty obvious. I'll agree not all Macross is zomg epiccccc...but there is a constant effort to keep the story fresh for its fans.

3) Forget about the movie, it will save you time on your next post.

4) The biggest disappointment about HG is that they do not sell the rights to Macross so we the fans here in USA can enjoy the series we all love to its fullest.

I'd wager good money that we'll see an animated Macross: The First series before "Shadow Rising" is ever released.

To be fair you didn't add the Antarctic Press years, Crystal Dreams, & even Robotech 3000 all in the 1990s..

To be fair you didn't add the Antarctic Press years, Crystal Dreams, & even Robotech 3000 all in the 1990s..

All affected by The Sentinels Curse maybe (a couple of issues, an early build of the game before scrapped, and a convention trailer)?

Edited by Einherjar

All affected by The Sentinels Curse maybe (a couple of issues, an early build of the game before scrapped, and a convention trailer)?

All of the RT Antarctic comics were completed except for the disliked Sentinels: Rubicon series. Crystal Dreams was completed just not released due to the video game publisher going bankrupt then broken up.. There were plans to do a anime Robotech 3000 but that transitioned to Shadow Chronicles..

I have funny idea. Harmony Gold should use the Shadow Chronicles and The Sentinels footages to Robotech 3000 production ;)

Macross dry spell? Now are you comparing these "dry spells" to HG's Robotech franchise? If that is the case...then lets take a look...

You don't understand Robotech franchise. It's the most popular science fiction PowerPoint presentations produced by Harmony Gold USA. The best story of genre :D

Macross is only random series of science fiction mecha anime. Who cares? ;)

To be fair, what you call a "dry spell" and what I might are different things. Personally, I don't consider re-releasing Macross in different formats (OAV, movies, etc) any different than HG releasing the Protoculture edition and Remastered editions. Yes, they are very different things in terms of content but essentially the stories are the same. At the same time, HG has been pretty good about keeping a presence in comic books for a long time. You might not consider that much, but it is very different when you are trying to keep the story going that began in the Robotech saga on tv so long ago. Macross has FAR more freedom in that it has jumped all over the time line telling stories. Robotech tried to do that with 3000 and was rejected. Fans want the ultimate fate of the SDF-3 with familiar characters in new situations. So HG is left telling the stories of the Sentinels, which has pretty much been covered in comic form now, telling the story of Scott Bernard, which they have been doing poorly, and telling stories that fit in between the cracks (again, the comics).

The movie has certainly checked some of that freedom. While the studios may not have said, "No new animation!" or anything like that, I do think HG is themselves holding off due to the movie - or as you say, they are telling themselves that.

I think that comics and books have done an admirable job of fleshing out the Robotech universe. The two (or three if you count the GBA game) took it a little further. Crystal Dreams would have added a whole new dimension but that story was relegated to a comic book.

Comparing Robotech to Macross is a bit unfair for a few reasons: Anime and manga in the US is a niche market. In Asia, it is massive. Thus, Macross can take far more chances and rely on a rabid fan base to support them. At this point, HG simply cannot. While HG has tried to maintain what they consider canon, fandom has greatly expanded that mythos - and done so in a superior way. Every attempt post Sentinels to change the story from the comics and novels has failed because of this. Macross on the other hand is so massive in time and scope that there is so much more room to explore and create. Robotech is a very tight story that if you deviate too far from its core, it becomes something else. Those small changes between the stories so long ago made the difference between the two franchises massive. Macross is about people in the midst of challenges; Robotech is about protoculture and the fight for it.

In the end, LLA was a very safe venture for HG. It reintroduced the 3rd part of the saga. It through a small bone at the end to what might lie ahead but I don't see it being earth shattering - no more than Dana Sterling's introduction was.

Overall I like Tommy; I think his heart is in the right place but I don't get the constant put down of past RT projects especially when your projects haven't really surpassed or separated from the past stuff. Robotech 3000 as a CGI wasn't really attractive or visually satisfying but the story elements were a little more intriguing than Shadow Chronicles was. I get you wanted to make a continuation of the original story but the follow through left me like this is it? No new character or mecha designs just the same cannibalizing of the same Mospeada that the Sentinels did. His leap frogging from Macross to Mospeada while totally ignoring Sentinels and the Masters Saga has been a bad mistake. Robotech is built on it's togetherness; you omit one it kinda falls apart. In the Robotech: Inavasion game which wasn't a bad game but to make it a 3rd generation story wasn't a good idea; it really should have been a Sentinels game. Invasion totally ripped HALO (I never played HALO in my life and I new 5 mins. into the game). So, if you're going to steal from the most popular game of the time Sentinels would've been the best bet. You have different military campaigns on different alien planets (and you can use the same Mospeada designs) would've allowed to tell the Sentinels story without planning an animated feature. I think HG's learning from their mistakes and embracing some of the past that's why you have both the Dana Sterling and the MAC destroyer 2 cameos in Love, Live, Alive..

Edited by terry the lone wolf

Comparing Robotech to Macross is a bit unfair for a few reasons: Anime and manga in the US is a niche market. In Asia, it is massive. Thus, Macross can take far more chances and rely on a rabid fan base to support them. At this point, HG simply cannot. While HG has tried to maintain what they consider canon, fandom has greatly expanded that mythos - and done so in a superior way. Every attempt post Sentinels to change the story from the comics and novels has failed because of this. Macross on the other hand is so massive in time and scope that there is so much more room to explore and create. Robotech is a very tight story that if you deviate too far from its core, it becomes something else. Those small changes between the stories so long ago made the difference between the two franchises massive. Macross is about people in the midst of challenges; Robotech is about protoculture and the fight for it.

I don't understand this paragraph at all.

I don't understand this paragraph at all.

The second sentence lost me:

Personally, I don't consider re-releasing Macross in different formats (OAV, movies, etc) any different than HG releasing the Protoculture edition and Remastered editions. Yes, they are very different things in terms of content but essentially the stories are the same.

Wait. Your argument is that new shows (that is, new intellectual property) compare to HG's license? Are you serious? This makes no sense. Macross wins hands down.

Edited by technoblue