I see no message in 300 or movies like it; only a cartoon/comic masquerading as a movie, not meant to be taken seriously...

I see no message in 300 or movies like it; only a cartoon/comic masquerading as a movie, not meant to be taken seriously...

100% Agreed.

And regarding the sequel there a few years too late for me to care about it. Maybe if they'd released this closer to while the novelty was still new for 300, but as of now "meh".

-b.

• 2 months later...

First reviews are appearing. Seems that a lot of reviewers are concerned about the level of violence and gore. Sorry Hollywood, the next film about a brutal war will have to feature more fluffy kittens and puppies........

......although Eva Green does have a very nice fluffy kitten.

Sorry Hollywood, the next film about a brutal war will have to feature more fluffy kittens and puppies........

Right, because this movie is a realistic depiction of anything...

Edited by Duke Togo

Well, saw this earlier today and it was kind of silly but very much a guilty pleasure.

Good-ish:

• Lots of action
  • Eva Green
  • Continuity in story from 300
  • Eva Green

Meh-bad;

• Wasn't a huge fan of the blood effects, but I do get what the filmmakers were going for.
  • The whole God-King angle, even with the over-the-top action it was hard to suspend my disbelief for some of the "mystical" elements of the story
  • Running time, could have been about 10 or so minutes longer, but at 1:43 it's hard to complain

I was happy to see it in IMAX 3D.

I wouldn't recommend this to anyone outside of a guilty-pleasure matinee or rental but I wouldn't tell anyone to stay far away either.

-b.

Just saw the movie and I like it more than the first one. The first one just left a bad taste in my mouth after a while. ^_^

And I love Eva Green and the character she plays but...

...I wished that they have killed each other at the end of the movie. The guy Themistokles has nothing to live for except fight battles for Athene so to die in the final slugfest would be a fitting end for him. He planned to killed the enemy general to demoralize the Persians in the first place so he would've still succeeded and it would be a rewarding end for Artimisia to kill the one man she has no power over.

Well at least it wasn't an ending where the true love (and a kiss) showed the women the wrong of her ways so she could be with the main hero *eyesroll*

Is there really a discussion on going about the level of violence in this movie. As someone who saw gory movies in the 80s the CGI blood has no impact on me. It just looks fake and comicy. I don't know practical effects just have a greater impact on me. :)

I loved the scene with the horse. This computer generated construct shows the horse from True Lies how to be a real movie star. :D

Of course, I had it my head that a proper sequel to 300 would be to tell the story of the Persians from their perspective. As much as the one-eyed Spartan skewed the story in his campfire tale, I'd like to see this version skewed in the favour of the Persians.

I agree and that goes for the whole Greek mythology since it was told by Greeks.

I do not take these films seriously since they are not very accurate however I do enjoy the CGI very much. I tend to view these type of films as if they were a movie version of some comic book.

Edited by megaprime

snip

Is there really a discussion on going about the level of violence in this movie. As someone who saw gory movies in the 80s the CGI blood has no impact on me. It just looks fake and comicy. I don't know practical effects just have a greater impact on me. :)

snip

If you're referring to my comment about the blood effects, I simply mean the way they were rendered/shown. It looked a little too much like a cartoon, even against this movie which was probably 99.9% CGI*.

And I wholeheartedly agree with your comment about how the final conflict with Eva Green's character should NOT have been portrayed.

-b.

* my guestimate, meant to be tongue-in-cheek

To me the situation between Artemisia and Themistocles was...

A big damn waste of potential plot. Historically both Artemisia and Themistocles survived Salamis, and Artemisia was the one who convinced Xerxes to abandon Greece and leave the Persian army to Mardonius to die at Plataea. This could have added depth to Eva Green's character and make her motivations not what they appear to be. Themistocles on the other hand evetually fell out of favor in Athens due to being involved in a conspiracy involving other greek city-states and ends up fleeing to the Persian empire of all places.

Think about how epic that would be in a sequel for a minute. Artemisa sets the Persian army to fail, and Themistocles through subterfuge triggers hostility between Athens and Sparta leading to the peloponesian war after Plataea. Instead Artemisia is dead and all that is flushed down the pooper.

Edited by renegadeleader1

this reminds me of the persian emperor..

btw, is the emperor gay?

The historical emperor Xerxes probably didn't dress like a member of Lady Gaga's dance crew.

I bet the film neglects to mention how Thermistocles is later exiled, and goes to serve the Persian emperor Artaxerxes, son of Xerxes. :)