Akai Koudan Zillion & The Acquisition of a Grail

12 hours ago, Bobby said:

That's Triple Jim (robot / racecar / helicopter) who was sort of the trusty bodyguard/guard dog that's always there to protect Reina Stol. The one and only toy for it was released around the mid-80's and he was incredibly hard to acquire and still nowadays fetches bids up to $300 MIB due to rarity and rare 3-modes. Extremely happy to see a modern take on this chunky triple changer!

triple_jim_collage.jpg

Thanks for sharing, @Bobby! I'm not familiar with that old figure but I'm now curious to see the new take on it. :good: 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Nice to see the Tri-charger in colour now..

Hopefully more close up pics will appear, because something looks off. I think it’s the thighs, they seem to have shrunk in size.. or perhaps it’s just the angle of the pic.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
19 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

image.jpeg.cf6f3e5fca7bb3a7fb5f77bc76473c63.jpeg

Based on Google image translate:

Tri-Charger buggy mode approx length: 18cm

Tri-Charger Armored mode approx height: 15.4cm

JJ approx height: 10cm (1/15-ish scale?)

Release date: July 2023

Price: Yen 28,380 

• 2 weeks later...

Barring some production or QC issues, this look to be a fantastic interpretation for the Tri-charger.

JJ look to be a good action figure on its own, as compared to many other mecha toys that comes with its pilot whose articulation is always much more basic.

Liking how the monitor screen graphics can be swapped out between modes.

19 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

I love how Pose+ designer regularly comes out & directly presents a preview of the stuff being made, although this video is a bit light on details.

For the Tri-charger:

1. JJ is 3.7” tall (which appears to be slightly being less than the advertised 10cm), so that places him to be approx 1/18 scale. But JJ is still a prototype, & may have some changes before release.

2. Trike mode includes a pair of plug in hands in front, to emulate the scene in the anime of the trike pushing against a trailer(?). 

3. Due to nature of Tri-charger transformation, theoretically any well articulated 1/18 figure as its rider would be compatible for all modes. It is also this reason that standalone articulated Apple & Champ figures may be made in future, depending on fan response to this Tri-charger.

It’s too bad he did not demonstrate the transformation of the prototype Tri-chargers; I hope he’ll do that in a future video. Planned release is after all rather far away in exactly a year.

Also liked the way the display stand for the toy has these couple of cool acrylic inserts:

52382332-44F5-4A29-96F8-9827C087CD6F.jpeg.06c6f9d67623c98d1746855d313d51e6.jpeg

782D2F95-83FF-403E-B34D-1D602EB8D2C6.jpeg.18208ee8b6738da9841cf0e2ab49c784.jpeg

Edited by MKT

• 4 months later...
16 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

Great vid. :good:
The Tri-charger looks even better here, especially with the nice range of articulation it has.

Greatly appreciate the designer still tweaking, iterating & further improving it based on feedback.

JJ having 5 whole alternate heads (not just faces), really shows how Pose+ wants it to be a best figure it can be.

They didn’t have to do it, but the extra adapters to cater for other 3.75” figures is nice touch. It maximizes JJ as a very nice figure to be showed off outside the Tri-charger, without leaving the Tri-charger looking incomplete by using others as a stand-in pilot.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 8/12/2022 at 7:51 PM, Bobby said:

While waiting on this release, I modified a Transformers Legacy  Arcee into a "Mass Production Type Tri Charger"

tricharger_mass_prod_type.jpg

Hit with a bit of "I haven't seen any posts here in a bit, I'm going to look back through this thread" and came across your post here, which I missed before. Really cool work. Would love to see the steps you took on this one, though I can probably figure some of them out.

(Also, it just seems like Macrossworld unsubscribes me from threads I was previously following, for some reason)

On 1/19/2024 at 8:57 AM, RavenHawk said:

Hit with a bit of "I haven't seen any posts here in a bit, I'm going to look back through this thread" and came across your post here, which I missed before. Really cool work. Would love to see the steps you took on this one, though I can probably figure some of them out.

(Also, it just seems like Macrossworld unsubscribes me from threads I was previously following, for some reason)

Thanks, hard to believe it's been 1.5yrs and still waiting but that's how it goes. The idea spawned when messing with the transformation and realizing a three-wheel configuration was pretty natural for it. Modding was the following:

• discard front cowling & side flaring

• cut/sand down metallic purple horns on helmet

face_comparo.jpg

• w/alcohol/q-tips remove: autobot symbol, all purple paint, and metallic charcoal on chest-piece

• snag third wheel from duplicate, cutaway/sand hip armor (below), shape clear green eyepiece from leftover Gundam sprue, swap reverse forearm shield pieces (key)

hip_plate_comparo.jpg

• paint: shoulders/thighs blue, upper-arms/feet silver, forearms & wheels white, chest/head yellow accent and voila! ... a temporary placeholder until Pose+ is done!