Akai Koudan Zillion & The Acquisition of a Grail

17 hours ago, Valkyrie Hunter D said:

Oh it's completed, for me anyways.  

Sega did make a whole line of mini toys for Zillion, and that Noza mech is part of that line along with a Tricharger and even a Ridingceptor.  They look kinda junky though.

This one was new to me, so I thought that maybe it might be new to you too.

7 hours ago, JetJockey said:

Anyone have or seen any good Zillion cels with matching backgrounds? There is a cel of Apple on auction this week I just saw.

Do the cells tend to have backgrounds? I thought the animation process was usually cells of characters placed on top of cells of backgrounds, so it was rare to see both in a single cell. Am I wrong?

12 hours ago, RavenHawk said:

Do the cells tend to have backgrounds? I thought the animation process was usually cells of characters placed on top of cells of backgrounds, so it was rare to see both in a single cell. Am I wrong?

Most of the original backgrounds I've come across are on paper. That's what I meant by matching backgrounds as I've seen cels with copy backgrounds. Both matching and not matching. Just setup so people can display a cel with a background. There are cases when I've seen backgrounds on cels due to whatever scene they are animating. There is this Roll Dangaio cel which I debate getting. I just want a more action sequence and something from the first episode.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Anime-Cel-Dangaioh-8/162971983819?hash=item25f1e31fcb:g:ClEAAOSw2DBavdEh:rk:14:pf:0

But in that scene, because of the animation I guess they decided to paint the background on the cel. I've never seen many Zillion cels. Although I haven't been looking for that long.

Edited by JetJockey

7 hours ago, JetJockey said:

Most of the original backgrounds I've come across are on paper. That's what I meant by matching backgrounds as I've seen cels with copy backgrounds. Both matching and not matching. Just setup so people can display a cel with a background. There are cases when I've seen backgrounds on cels due to whatever scene they are animating. There is this Roll Dangaio cel which I debate getting. I just want a more action sequence and something from the first episode.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Anime-Cel-Dangaioh-8/162971983819?hash=item25f1e31fcb:g:ClEAAOSw2DBavdEh:rk:14:pf:0

But in that scene, because of the animation I guess they decided to paint the background on the cel. I've never seen many Zillion cels. Although I haven't been looking for that long.

Gotcha. Makes sense. I haven't seen any for Zillion, but I'd definitely love to find one of a good Tricharger cell.

13 hours ago, RavenHawk said:

Gotcha. Makes sense. I haven't seen any for Zillion, but I'd definitely love to find one of a good Tricharger cell.

Me too. But the closest I've seen is a close up of Apple I think on a Tricharger with an animal in her shirt. I'm not sure as I haven't seen the episode yet.

15 minutes ago, JetJockey said:

Me too. But the closest I've seen is a close up of Apple I think on a Tricharger with an animal in her shirt. I'm not sure as I haven't seen the episode yet.

Really? You should watch the series. I enjoyed it a lot more than I expected (based on having previously only watched the first couple episodes a long time ago).

11 minutes ago, RavenHawk said:

Really? You should watch the series. I enjoyed it a lot more than I expected (based on having previously only watched the first couple episodes a long time ago).

I was planning on getting the Blu-ray for the holidays but I need to clear up some other stuff first. I want to be able to watch a few episodes a day.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 11/15/2020 at 2:23 AM, Valkyrie Hunter D said:

From Tag Hobby:

1EDBE567-32CE-4960-A622-C7EFEB12BE7A.thumb.jpeg.163513c34216e0cc9b4bdfc947282d12.jpeg

A modern toy of the TriCharger might still happen! Courtesy of the Pose+Metal line from FEWTURE (I think).

Love to see more of this, with some real modern flourishes.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hmm.. As I am appreciating bike mecha more & more, I really want to like the Tri-charger. Yet my biggest issue with its design are the huge wheels sticking out of the shins, looking somewhat unresolved, and just looks wrong. I imagine it will a real chore to walk with huge weights on your knees or shins. :p

There should have a way to move the wheels somewhere to the back, perhaps at the butt below the front wheel, even if they cheat a little by just simply unplugging them from the shins & sticking them there. 

Edited by MKT

10 hours ago, JetJockey said:

I kind of wish we got the bikes that they ride into the ship. But this might be one of those beggars can't be choosers when we get more Zillion stuff.

The old toys of this did include those, which was the only way to get the weapon.

I honestly did like those too (I've thought the sidecar look to be pretty cool, ever since my old Revell model of the GI Joe RAM when I was a kid), and I hope that the Tri-Charger not only actually gets released this time (unlike when CMs teased it), but does well enough to justify a couple more items in the line.

ceptor.jpg.a9dd4c1e486b43248cc7936e6e7d7b45.jpg

7 hours ago, MKT said:

Hmm.. As I am appreciating bike mecha more & more, I really want to like the Tri-charger. Yet my biggest issue with its design are the huge wheels sticking out of the shins, looking somewhat unresolved, and just looks wrong. I imagine it will a real chore to walk with huge weights on your knees or shins. :p

There should have a way to move the wheels somewhere to the back, perhaps at the butt below the front wheel, even if they cheat a little by just simply unplugging them from the shins & sticking them there. 

I'm not a fan of the look of the wheels on the side either, but functionally they're needed there for the third mode (thus the "Tri" in the name).

sega-master-tatsunoko-zillion_1_f0e86230986e103a9cedc61a93ef66ab.jpg.44d5816560561813544d633d0963cd0e.jpg

10 hours ago, RavenHawk said:

The old toys of this did include those, which was the only way to get the weapon.

I honestly did like those too (I've thought the sidecar look to be pretty cool, ever since my old Revell model of the GI Joe RAM when I was a kid), and I hope that the Tri-Charger not only actually gets released this time (unlike when CMs teased it), but does well enough to justify a couple more items in the line.

That's it. Hopefully, they will release the Tri-Charger. See the interest in Zillion and make that bike plus finish the figures since they only made Apple.

22 hours ago, RavenHawk said:

ceptor.jpg.a9dd4c1e486b43248cc7936e6e7d7b45.jpg

I'm not a fan of the look of the wheels on the side either, but functionally they're needed there for the third mode (thus the "Tri" in the name).

sega-master-tatsunoko-zillion_1_f0e86230986e103a9cedc61a93ef66ab.jpg.44d5816560561813544d633d0963cd0e.jpg

Ah, there's a third mode. So the 'Tri' is not only referring to the number of wheels. I really do not know enough as I never watched the anime. Going by all the pics & illustrations of it, I suppose the wheels in armor mode are really its defining visual characteristic.

Quite like what Pose+ has done with the overall sculpt in the prototype. Size looks a bit small though, in armor mode it seems to be the height of normal 1/12 figures at 6 inches. So the rider is perhaps around 1/15 scale? Shudder to think of the price though, Pose+ stuff appear to be at at least as or even more pricey than Sentinel. But it would be a great release for fans, and I might just jump on it too.

On 11/16/2021 at 9:46 AM, MKT said:

Quite like what Pose+ has done with the overall sculpt in the prototype. Size looks a bit small though, in armor mode it seems to be the height of normal 1/12 figures at 6 inches. So the rider is perhaps around 1/15 scale? Shudder to think of the price though, Pose+ stuff appear to be at at least as or even more pricey than Sentinel. But it would be a great release for fans, and I might just jump on it too.

I was assuming 1/15 or 1/18, based on... well, not much of anything, I suppose.

• 4 months later...

So very excited for this. Even though the series, for my tastes, was just ok... this design really clicked with me, or rather, the potential for the design. I'd love to see this not just be the original design, but with a better toy, but some liberties to update it, too ( a la Sentinel).

On 4/9/2022 at 12:00 AM, MKT said:

Hmm what is that on the right? Looks interesting..

On 4/9/2022 at 12:21 AM, no3Ljm said:

Based on what's written on top, it's from Machine Robo: Chronos no Dai Gyakushu (Machine Robo: Revenge of Chronos). Not sure which robot character though. I've posted a clear photo of it in the Super Robots thread.

That's Triple Jim (robot / racecar / helicopter) who was sort of the trusty bodyguard/guard dog that's always there to protect Reina Stol. The one and only toy for it was released around the mid-80's and he was incredibly hard to acquire and still nowadays fetches bids up to $300 MIB due to rarity and rare 3-modes. Extremely happy to see a modern take on this chunky triple changer!

triple_jim_collage.jpg