SDCC 2013 Hasbro Exclusives: Jetfire Skystriker

Chet

I don't understand how Kawamori would even put together that there's a relationship between the skystriker and his Valkyrie.

I'd wager he doesn't care either way...

Yes, of course i am. Do they look similar to you? The only thing that bares any similarity are the fast packs.

And that's pretty much what he said. "It looked like they turned the FAST Packs upside down, colored them red, and stuck them on an F-14. It kinda looks like something made in China."

To which Tenjin replied, "And someone's getting sued over it!"

Yes, of course i am. Do they look similar to you? The only thing that bares any similarity are the fast packs.

Yes. Here's the 1/100 scale DYRL VF-1 Toynami put out under license from HG. This line also got a fast pack add on set.

popup_macross_1-100_ex04.jpg

Jetfire-SDCC-2013-GIJOE-skystriker_13704

Give the 1/100 scale a fast pack and boom overwhelmng simularity.

Edited by renegadeleader1

All legalities aside, I can see the Joe and TF fans getting really PO'd at HG over this. Especially since Hasbro/Takara is not too overly litigious about their property with all the 3rd party companies popping up everyday. And now here comes a small company, that probably makes less than these 3rd parties, to sue them over designs that didn't originate from them...

And that's pretty much what he said. "It looked like they turned the FAST Packs upside down, colored them red, and stuck them on an F-14. It kinda looks like something made in China."

To which Tenjin replied, "And someone's getting sued over it!"

Thanks for saving it for the podcast, I'm sure somebody here will report it as if they had attended the talk show themselves.

Edited by Save

Can anyone tell me (why no company that I know of anyway...) ever made a "Skyfire" toy that LOOKED like the one in the original cartoon? I grew up with TF'ers in the 80's and Robotech and I always wondered why the "Jetfire" I got for Christmas was the most awesome Robotech toy a kid could ever want..LOL :blink:

Can anyone tell me (why no company that I know of anyway...) ever made a "Skyfire" toy that LOOKED like the one in the original cartoon? I grew up with TF'ers in the 80's and Robotech and I always wondered why the "Jetfire" I got for Christmas was the most awesome Robotech toy a kid could ever want..LOL :blink:

Because the Transformers line originally began from an assortment of different transforming robots in Japan.

IMO Skyfire looked like crap.

Also the Hasbro marketing team leader went to various Asian toy shows, saw the Takatoku Valkyries and wanted to integrate it into

the US toyline.

Basically he was like " Damn that Macross crap is badass, I'm gonna make up a character just so I can let kids in the US swoosh this bitch around"

I'm paraphrasing of course.

I mean the toy is meant to invoke jetfire. That's the whole point. But I don't think they look close enough if you were a total outsider.

And yeah skyfire is a derpy robot/plane but tranformers fans love him. They eat it up.

sorry if this has been asked and answered but did HG have a problem with the classics/henkei jetfire?

HG is usually pretty slow on the uptake of things. But seeing how there's been 2 variants of jetfire, 6 inch titanium and the universe edition, I'd say they were asleep behind the wheel back then.

In the end I'm sure this'll be settled out of court, but I also don't think HG will in the case.

• 2 months later...

Yep. Knew something like this would happen. Basically, attorneys for both parties agreeed to settle this out-of-court. Doesn't mean any side won or lost nor will we ever know, just that this wasn't worth the court's time, which would be my opinion of the case.

Yep. Knew something like this would happen. Basically, attorneys for both parties agreeed to settle this out-of-court. Doesn't mean any side won or lost nor will we ever know, just that this wasn't worth the court's time, which would be my opinion of the case.

I hope somewhere down the line this whole legal fiasco turns out to be worth it.

Probably not, just like all the other lawsuits in recent years from these people.