SDCC 2013 Hasbro Exclusives: Jetfire Skystriker

Chet

Long ans lost nice times^^

Only way this would go to court is if they drive the mediator crazy. The more cases that are settled out of court, the less grumpy the judge will be. And since HG is the plaintiff, the burden of proof is on them to show that Hasbro committed a violation of their trademark.

If HG wins, you expect Hasbro reclaim all those toys they sold at SDCC? Really?

From TFW2005.com words

[...]

Short version for those who do not wish to read the long wall of text: Harmony Gold is taking action in the courts against Hasbro due to the resemblance of the G.I. Joe VS Transformers Jetfire Skystriker, and what they are seeking is:
1) Remaining toys to be removed from sale;
2) Unsold stock to be turned over to them (& a possible recall);
3) Lots of $ in damages.

So is Hasbro going to show up at people's houses with police demanding the toy back?

Hasbro did legally have rights to make the Toy back in the day. Shouldn't that give them the rights to do it now. One thing that does concern me is this could be Harmony Gold plan to get a tighter grip on all things Macross. I can see them threating to sue places like HLJ if they don't hand them over a list of all their customers outside of Japan who bought Macross toys.

If this goes to court I don't see Harmony Gold winning. The money behind Hasbro's lawyers is enough crush Harmony Gold's.

Man it feels like 2003 again!

HTS isn't going to sell them, the left over's were sold to Fun Publications who owns the Gijoe and Transformers Collector Clubs.

They are having a lottery to allow members only to purchase the remaining sets.

Where/how are you getting your information about this? Granted I know about the lottery but all of the leftovers?

Where/how are you getting your information about this? Granted I know about the lottery but all of the leftovers?

Brian Savage.

So is Hasbro going to show up at people's houses with police demanding the toy back?

Hasbro did legally have rights to make the Toy back in the day. Shouldn't that give them the rights to do it now. One thing that does concern me is this could be Harmony Gold plan to get a tighter grip on all things Macross. I can see them threating to sue places like HLJ if they don't hand them over a list of all their customers outside of Japan who bought Macross toys.

If this goes to court I don't see Harmony Gold winning. The money behind Hasbro's lawyers is enough crush Harmony Gold's.

Hasbro didn't own Bandai's mold, only leased it.

There's time limits on licensing agreements.

All they can do is stop any remaining stock being sold,

And take back mechandise from retailers.

Technically speaking, the lawsuit could put a hold on any remaining stock currently

Being held by any one that's not a end user.

HG can't stop imported goods under the Macross banner.

Unless they want to feel Big West's firm size 13.

Your Japanese toys are safe lol.

Edited by skullmilitia

Yeah, except it isn't us, primarily, doing the talking. We're just sitting back watching the show. food-smiley-007.gif To which I welcome them Hasbro-fanboy youngins to the Sued-by-HG club. food-smiley-004.gif

So if I'm understanding the pics and link areaseven posted, they're suing Hasbro over a toy that has a likeness to what they own only after some assembly required? The stickers/decals packaged with the toy, which the buyer has to physically put on the toy after purchase, makes it appear to infringe on their legal rights if and only if said buyer took the time to "complete" the toy by themselves? Without them, it looks more like a generic fighter plane fresh out of the box?

Edited by Einherjar

The original prototype transformed. The actual toy still retained some of the joints for it.

I remember poring over that thing when I was a kid and wondered why it had some of the parts to transform but couldn't; do you have any other 'info on that fugly classic?

Seriously this case is a joke. All I see is HG holding the Robotech/Macross license and waiting for a chance to lawfully extort money from others. If Robotech was a power selling license and had toys selling out all over ToysRUs - I could see this case more clearly. However this isn't the case and they aren't really do much with their license. I sincerely hope this does go to court, hopefully HG loses and incur substantial losses with their lawyer fees - file for bancruptcy. Similar to what Marvel Comics did to Defiant for the "Plasm" case.

Too bad the "Concering Harmony Gold and Robotech" thread is closed. Cause I have a question regarding the SDCC Jetfire lawsuit and Harmony Gold's license.

To setup my question here is what I know: Tatsunoko Productions which Harmony Gold got it's license became a subsidery of Takara-Tomy in 2006 which has been a partner with Hasbro since the 1980's.

So my question is this, isn't Harmony Gold's license set for renewal with Tatsunoko in 2018 or sometime in the near future?

Wouldn't HG suing a very profitable partner of Takara (Hasbro) be insentive for Takara's subsidiary Tatsunoko not renewing HG's licenses for ALL (Macross, Southern Cross, Mosepeada) the animes that comprise Robotech? Or at worst Takara makingTatsunoko terminate HG's license agreement? In effect isn't this kind of suicidal?

Or at the very least make the contract between Harmony Gold & Tatsunoko public and weaking its ablity to intimidate other companies?

And most importantly why WAIT almost 6 weeks after the toy was announced and after the convention to sue? If this was to build attention to Love Live Alive why didn't they do this 6 weeks ago when it would had some impact?

Edited by Omega Prime

Good job, HG. You pissed off next prospective customers for your toys, Transformers and G.I. Joe fans.

Maybe Harmony Gold is angry because Pacific Rim was financial failure in US so Warner Bros probably doesn't want to produce the Robotech Movie.

Too bad the "Concering Harmony Gold and Robotech" thread is closed. Cause I have a question regarding the SDCC Jetfire lawsuit and Harmony Gold's license.

To setup my question here is what I know: Tatsunoko Productions which Harmony Gold got it's license became a subsidery of Takara-Tomy in 2006 which has been a partner with Hasbro since the 1980's.

So my question is this, isn't Harmony Gold's license set for renewal with Tatsunoko in 2018 or sometime in the near future?

Wouldn't HG suing a very profitable partner of Takara (Hasbro) be insentive for Takara's subsidiary Tatsunoko not renewing HG's licenses for ALL (Macross, Southern Cross, Mosepeada) the animes that comprise Robotech? Or at worst Takara makingTatsunoko terminate HG's license agreement? In effect isn't this kind of suicidal?

Or at the very least make the contract between Harmony Gold & Tatsunoko public and weaking its ablity to intimidate other companies?

And most importantly why WAIT almost 6 weeks after the toy was announced and after the convention to sue? If this was to build attention to Love Live Alive why didn't they do this 6 weeks ago when it would had some impact?

I'll call this wishful thinking. Good thinking, but wishful.

WEHT the Mechwarrior game that HG started legal action against most recently. Vapourware?

The game came out a few years later as a F2P online game called Mechwarrior Online. They're releasing the "unseen" mechs like the Battlemaster and Thunderbolt so the Warhammer (Tomahawk) is very likely to show up.

Actually, I think the shape of that "FAST pack" is clearly a rip-off. And if the fully assembled toy is seen on the package, I can see how it could, in theory, confuse a unknowing consumer. (But to be honest, I don't know much about US laws). The scheme is very close to Hikaru's VF-1A and VF-1S from DYRL, and Harmony Gold has the merchandise rights for DYRL as far as I know. So I can understand Harmony Gold on this one.

Good job, HG. You pissed off next prospective customers for your toys, Transformers and G.I. Joe fans.

Maybe Harmony Gold is angry because Pacific Rim was financial failure in US so Warner Bros probably doesn't want to produce the Robotech Movie.

How cool would it be to see the RT:LAM officially shitcanned? Imagine the excuses coming from HG.

The scheme is very close to Hikaru's VF-1A and VF-1S from DYRL, and Harmony Gold has the merchandise rights for DYRL as far as I know. So I can understand Harmony Gold on this one.

But it just becomes circular again---the DYRL scheme (and Roy's TV scheme) is basically the real-life Jolly Rogers scheme on the F-14---which is what the Skystriker is in the first place.

Heck, with the slats out, you even get red stripes on the wings:

f14a84z.jpg

Man, I wonder why it took, ahem, HG to wait for a very long time before suing (I watched the show back in '84), unless they deliberately waited until the right moment to attack.

Anyway, the other good news I paid attention to was the SDCC screening of AKB0048.

https://twitter.com/AKB0048_ura/status/360225631428030464