Despicable Me 2 is the upcoming sequel to Illumination Entertainment and Universal Studios' 2010 animated blockbuster Despicable Me. Returning to their voice roles are Steve Carell (Andy in The 40-Year-Old Virgin, Michael in The Office) as Gru, Russell Brand (Katy Perry's ex-husband) as Dr. Nefario, Miranda Cosgrove (iCarly) as Margo, Dana Geier as Edith, Elsie Fisher as Agnes, and director Pierre Coffin as the Minions. Kristen Wiig (Vicki St. Elmo in MacGruber, Ruffnut in How to Train Your Dragon) also returns, but plays a new character named Lucy Wilde. Joining the cast are Benjamin Bratt (Det. Curtis in Law & Order), Steve Coogan (Octavius in Night at the Museum 1-2), and Ken Jeong (Leslie Chow in The Hangover I-III,Jerry Wang in Transformers: Dark of the Moon). Al Pacino was originally cast in the film, but was eventually replaced by Bratt at the last minute

The film premieres on June 12 at the Annecy International Animated Film Festival before a wide release on July 3.

Official Site

Edited by areaseven

• 1 month later...

Despicable Me 2 was done by Illumination Pictures/Universal, not Disney/Pixar.

I loved it, BTW.

Ah, my bad. It's come to a point in my mind where anything animated belongs to Disney....and a few years down the line, it might as well end up being just that...

Based on the latest stuff, I'd say Disney/Pixar has peaked and is sliding down, while their competitors are actually offering the best stuff the last year or two.

Agreed, Pixar always gives me the "we're trying too hard to be artsy" feeling. I felt Toy Story 3 was HIGHLY overrated the year it came out....which IIRC was the same year as Despicable Me and How to Train Your Dragon, which where both, IMO, much better movies.

Anyway DM2 was great, loved it also.

Chris

Edited by Dobber

Based on the latest stuff, I'd say Disney/Pixar has peaked and is sliding down, while their competitors are actually offering the best stuff the last year or two.

Pixar started going downhill since Cars 2. And when John Lasseter was given an executive spot at Walt Disney Animation Studios, Pixar's works got less interesting while Disney suddenly became awesome with Wreck-It Ralph.

For me, it started with Rataouille. Maybe I just have his feeling because all of my least favorite Pixar movies just came in a row from there; Ratatouille, Wall-E, Up, Toy Story 3 (admittedly not bad just sick of Toy story and all the hype it had), and Brave. Sadly though, I like Cars 2..... a bit more than the original actually, and I really liked Monsters U too. I guess that 3 movie stretch of Ratatouille, Wall-E, and Up gave me the artsy feeling. Not bad movies.....just.....it's hard for me to put into words, they just have an air about them.

My favorite is still the Incredibles.

Chris

Edited by Dobber

I'm sorry, but I can't even begin to understand how you didn't like Wall-E, Up and Toy Story 3, Those three are Pixar's best films by far (ok, I'm a little biased on Toy Story 3 but still, it was such a good movie).

But back on topic, Despicable Me was the single funniest animated film I've ever seen. I laughed so hard it was difficult to breath.

Wall-E was boring.... Actually, most of Pixar's stuff in general are sort of bad and bland with visuals being the only thing they have. Not so much art as glorified toy commercials that suck up oscars they don't deserve.

As for the topic, never saw the first, not seeing this.

I too never saw the first one and don't really plan to see this. I've seen plenty of commercials for it but I don't understand the appeal. Like those little yellow guys are they suppose to be cute and funny? I think I've seen them change that light bulb in the movie theater a hundred times and it never was funny. What are they anyways? To me they look like a cross between a pill and a hairy testicle.

The Minions were the best surprise of the first film. Basically there is no backstory and they do all the grunt work for Gru. With that being said they have a ton of personality and tend to steal every scene they are in. Unfortunately if you haven't seen the first movie you have no attachment to them so the marketing for DM2 that has been doing a lot to showcase them would be lost on you. I went to see the first out of curiousity and it turned out to be one of my all time favorite animated films. I would say at least give it a try, you may be surprised by it.

If you don't like the minions there is something seriously wrong with you and you clearly need to download and install a sense of humor and your inner child....which you seem to have lost. :huh: I reluctantly watched the first Despicable Me at my cousins last summer because she has kids and gave me the worst stare ever when I told her I hadn't seen it. I too thought it was going to be dumb and made just for kids. I came home and promptly ordered it on Blu Ray and have watched it many times since then....laughing every time. The second one is even funnier. :D

• 3 months later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...