1/60 VF-1J 30th Anniversary

Dark_Ghost

Transformers... (shudders..) awful things..

Of course no disrespects to anyone on this site who collects them its just that even after all these years you'd think they would have advanced the design so they actually look half decent in either transformation mode..

I don't think there is one particular TF that transforms as well as a VF-1 or any Valkyrie for that matter..

Of course no disrespects to anyone on this site who collects them its just that even after all these years you'd think they would have advanced the design so they actually look half decent in either transformation mode..

I don't think there is one particular TF that transforms as well as a VF-1 or any Valkyrie for that matter..

Really? Not one? You know there's like over 500 TF designs versus like...20-30 transformable macross designs, and you still can't find one you can say you like either mode better than a valkyrie?

Not -ONE-?

And are we talking about toys, or generally designs?

The VF19 is actually one of my favourite, if not favourite transforming mould, but there's some pretty great transformers that look half decent in either mode. Binaltechs, Alternity, RID [2000 line], Movie lines, some Generations, most Masterpieces...

^ Great Transformers vs. Macross again, what did someone say in another thread..."it's like trying to argue boobs"?

I own exactly (1) 30th Anniversary VF-1J which I proudly display in it's box in my Detolf as a backdrop to the other Valks I have on that shelf. I may be tempted to pick up another as a just-in-case buy but I doubt it.

-b.

Relax. He's not a Transformer's fan at all so that's understandable.

I have mostly higher end Alternity/Masterpiece releases (500+ designs and the majority of them garbage to me) of TF with a few el-cheapo Hasbros and I agree about the Valk preference myself but that's just personal opinion (and we're on Macrossworld and not TFworld). I like Valks more period. In one of them hypothetical fire situations, I wouldn't grab any one of my TFs. Not one. I have a fleet of Valks I might end up getting severely burned for though :lol:

Edited by xrentonx

Relax. He's not a Transformer's fan at all so that's understandable.

I have mostly the higher end Alternity/Masterpiece releases (500+ designs and the majority of them garbage to me) of TF with a few el-cheapo Hasbros and I agree about the Valk preference myself but that's just personal opinion (and we're on Macrossworld and not TFworld). I like Valks more period. In one of them hypothetical fire situations, I wouldn't grab any one of my TFs. Not one. I have a fleet of Valks I might end up getting severely burned for though :lol:

Pictures vs. Valks: Valkyries win (except this 1J, it's as good as ashes).

-b.

The only good TF designs were from 80's imo.

Mostly because cars these days are lame looking hunks with no real presence.

I mean, movie starscream has a cool alt mode because the stealth jet is awesome, but what's the bot mode about? It's a pile of junk.

If you're not working the design of the iconic vehicle into the transformation... what are you giving me?

Edited by Gakken85

Pictures vs. Valks: Valkyries win (except this 1J, it's as good as ashes).

-b.

I agree :)

I grew to like this 1J but it's at the bottom of the Valk pile!

^ Great Transformers vs. Macross again, what did someone say in another thread..."it's like trying to argue boobs"?

All I heard there was that Valks are perfect breasts while Transformers are like "well at least they're attached to a woman."

I like the transformations of the newer Transformers more than my Valkyries. The reason is that Valkyries where designed with the goal in mind that some parts of the Fighter- are designated parts in Battroid-Mode. All Valkyries have the engines as legs and so on. On Transformers they shift from one mode to the next without designers thinking about how that could happen. Sure there are parts on the robot that belongs to the alt mode. You get some pretty good transformations out of that if designers can figure out a way. Like RotF Leader Class Prime, or the First Editions Transformers from Prime. On the other hand you get pretty shitty transformations like First Edition AoE Prime and so on.

The Valkyries have all good transformations but sometimes they are pretty lazy. Like the backpack on the YF-29 or the YF-30. They just hang there and do nothing because Kawamori.

I think the CGI Valkyries from Frontier made it worse because it is clear that they have to transform mostly without mass shifting. The pre Frontier area Valkyries are much nicer like the Yamato ones from M7/Plus.

So I the 30th Anniversary VF-1J. I'm tempted to buy one because I like the precise paint-jobs form Yamcadia. They are so much nicer than the ones form the Masterpiece Transformers. (WHY ARE YOU SO TERRIBLE MP-12 LAMBOR WHYYYYYYYYYYYYY??? *screams in anger*)

I vastly prefer Kawamori's way because you don't have things that don't make any sense like tank treads suddenly splitting apart or wheels & axels suddenly folding in half like Transformers. Valks transform the way we expect them to because they are designed for fighter mode first. If it doesn't make sense in fighter mode, then Battroid and Gerwalk reflects that. Valks will almost always have their engines in their feet because of VTOL and I like the wing backpacks and don't think of them as lazy at all. If a Transformer was to transform with a pilot inside, it would end up turning that pilot into paste. They are made to be robots first. Mass shifting is magic (as opposed to anime magic). Different strokes though...

30th Anny isnt all that bad in fighter mode. Esp when you cant decide which one, of all the VF-1 you have, thats gonna be left in fighter mode.

In fact, after looking at Gakken's picture, I transformed my 30th Anny valk from gerwalk to fighter and it'll be staying in fighter mode.

Gonna have to get another one for cheap to display in gerwalk. *flips table*

this thread is getting confusing.....is it really about "Transformers vs Macross" or is it about the VF1j 30th anniversary as per the title says......sigh :rolleyes:

anyway "sticking back" to the topic i find the VF1J 30th anniv a unique valk.....for sure it will be special in some way.....

Edited by mojacko

this thread is getting confusing.....is it really about "Transformers vs Macross" or is it about the VF1j 30th anniversary as per the title says......sigh :rolleyes:

anyway "sticking back" to the topic i find the VF1J 30th anniv a unique valk.....for sure it will be special in some way.....

Yeah, it'll be special for having the hands down nicest box of any Yamato/Arcadia Valkyrie box. Ever.

-b.

Yeah, it'll be special for having the hands down nicest box of any Yamato/Arcadia Valkyrie box. Ever.

-b.

Yup, nicest box art to date, especially when you get it personally autographed by the man himself, the legend ...Tenjin!! :)

post-15185-0-33676800-1402276361_thumb.jpg

At seventy odd dollars it's really tempting to pick up another...but space is limited and that could mean one less Valk that I actually want.

I finally opened mine tonight and I have to say that I love this piece.

I was a big naysayer but it's really pretty out of the box, even without decals.

I might buy another since it's on sale.

PIHjgPx.jpg

You should get a few customized Valks and what not to recreate the Carnival episode from Macross 7. That was the first thing I thought of when I saw the thing :D

I vastly prefer Kawamori's way because you don't have things that don't make any sense like tank treads suddenly splitting apart or wheels & axels suddenly folding in half like Transformers. Valks transform the way we expect them to because they are designed for fighter mode first. If it doesn't make sense in fighter mode, then Battroid and Gerwalk reflects that. Valks will almost always have their engines in their feet because of VTOL and I like the wing backpacks and don't think of them as lazy at all. If a Transformer was to transform with a pilot inside, it would end up turning that pilot into paste. They are made to be robots first. Mass shifting is magic (as opposed to anime magic). Different strokes though...

I never meant to upset / insult any TF fans here or start a Macross -v- Transformers argument.. trust me on this my cousin and I have plenty enough of these for me to ever want anymore of em..

I guess what xrentonx wrote here pretty much sums up what I was trying to say.. I do respect TF's for what they are and the massive fan base they have generated, larger than Macross im sure.. its just I never felt that any real effort went in to making how they work have any sense of being believable or "well hey that could actually work" look about them like the Valkyrie's do.

Edited by spanner76

Some, very few, transformers I find interesting; but ultimately, I dislike the very premise behind them: That of sentient cybernetic beings who transform from robot form to vehicle or animal-ish form to, ostensibly, hide in plain sight. YFs and VFs and VBs, Orguss, Ride Armors and Legioss and Tread, etc., are hardware, piloted by individuals; other than the transformation gimmick, they're no different from a VOTOM, or Mobile Suit, or a real-world military jet or bomber.

As for the VF-1J 30th... that thing would have to hit the 80-75% off mark before I'd ever consider buying it... There are far more attractive and desirable collectibles vying for my limited disposable funds for me to spend any of it on something I consider an eyesore.

Some, very few, transformers I find interesting; but ultimately, I dislike the very premise behind them: That of sentient cybernetic beings who transform from robot form to vehicle or animal-ish form to, ostensibly, hide in plain sight. YFs and VFs and VBs, Orguss, Ride Armors and Legioss and Tread, etc., are hardware, piloted by individuals; other than the transformation gimmick, they're no different from a VOTOM, or Mobile Suit, or a real-world military jet or bomber.

As for the VF-1J 30th... that thing would have to hit the 80-75% off mark before I'd ever consider buying it... There are far more attractive and desirable collectibles vying for my limited disposable funds for me to spend any of it on something I consider an eyesore.

But the box...it's so nice. ^_^

Logical or not, to be honest I'd pay $ 20 (give or take) for the box alone. So with a 1/2 of sale I view it as getting an awesome display piece (the box) with a $ 60 v2 1/60 Valk to boot.

-b.

Really? Not one? You know there's like over 500 TF designs versus like...20-30 transformable macross designs, and you still can't find one you can say you like either mode better than a valkyrie?

Not -ONE-?

And are we talking about toys, or generally designs?

The VF19 is actually one of my favourite, if not favourite transforming mould, but there's some pretty great transformers that look half decent in either mode. Binaltechs, Alternity, RID [2000 line], Movie lines, some Generations, most Masterpieces...

ok ok fair enough.. I didn't mind the Dinobots so much.. especially Grimlock, which I did have him and a few others for a number of years but ultimately sold it off to my cousin.. but that pretty much it. The rest are junk! :p

SOoo...the 30th anniversary rainbow Valkyrie is still in stock at HLJ.

I've been under a rock at work and have missed a bunch of updates here on the forum. Do those of you with it in hand feel it is worth the sale price? I am sorely tempted because I could pick up this and the 30th anniversary DYRL VF-1A cannon fodder.

Off topic: Apart from the head, are there any other major differences between the DYRL VF-1A CF and the TV VF-1A CF? I remember that the TV version was more popular when it was released.

Thanks.

Edited by technoblue

Guest davidwhangchoi

i think i asked valkmagnus or someone who had both to check if the whites are diffrent for the tv and dyrl cannon fodder and he said yes.

SOoo...the 30th anniversary rainbow Valkyrie is still in stock at HLJ.

I've been under a rock at work and have missed a bunch of updates here on the forum. Do those of you with it in hand feel it is worth the sale price? I am sorely tempted because I could pick up this and the 30th anniversary DYRL VF-1A cannon fodder.

Off topic: Apart from the head, are there any other major differences between the DYRL VF-1A CF and the TV VF-1A CF? I remember that the TV version was more popular when it was released.

Thanks.

i think i asked valkmagnus or someone who had both to check if the whites are diffrent for the tv and dyrl cannon fodder and he said yes.

Re: the Cannon Fodder VF-1A's from SDFM and DYRL yes, the shade of white is different. The same as any of Yamato's TV vs. DYRL releases. There are also a few other paint and tampo printing differences (besides the most obvious head unit designs).

-b.

• 1 year later...

Battroid mode!【VF-1J 30th Anniversary】超時空要塞!

It's not easy to take this pic! The concept to take this VF1J signature pose is totally different from shooting a Gundam.

& BTW, this outlook and overall proportion of this Arcadia Toy is fall from good (but it is the best available 1J toy in the market, isn't it?) FXXK the Harmony Gold that handicaps the development of Macross toy. I hope that one day Bandai can apply the tech of DX to VF-1 series....

Anyway, enjoy!
http://gundamatefsf.blogspot.hk/2015/07/battroid-modevf-1j-30th-anniversary.html
2015-07-30-23.jpg

2015-07-31-00.jpg

Odd that you feel that way about arcadia/yamato's vf-1. I consider it one of the best valyries yamato ever put out, if not the best (after they fixed that shoulder problem). Sure there's room to grow but i perfectly happy if this was the last vf-1 mold we ever got.

That's a creative paring Gundam@ESEF. Love the photos with the 1J Anniversary and 0D together!

Does Arcadia license any Robotech products? I thought all Robotech products were exclusive deals that HG made with Toynami?

Personally, I think it would be sweet if either Arcadia or Bandai updated the VF-1 to use Macross the First designs. It is a solid design, but it could use an overhaul IMO.