Riddick is the third theatrical installment in The Chronicles of Riddick saga, following the 2000 sleeper hit Pitch Black and the 2004 flop The Chronicles of Riddick. As with the first two films, David Twohy will return to the director's chair for this film while Vin Diesel reprises his role as the antihero Richard B. Riddick. Karl Urban (Dredd, McCoy in the current Star Trek film series) will also reprise his role as Lord Vaako from the 2004 film. Joining the cast are Matthew Nable (Australian rugby player), Katee Sackhoff (Starbuck in Battlestar Galactica, Dana Walsh in 24), and former WWE Champion Dave Batista (Drax the Destroyer in Guardians of the Galaxy).

Riddick is set for a September 6 release.

Official Site

Wow, feels way more Pitch Black than Chronicles. Didn't he become like "king of the Universe" at the end of Chronicles? If so, why run from bounty hunters?

Wow, feels way more Pitch Black than Chronicles. Didn't he become like "king of the Universe" at the end of Chronicles? If so, why run from bounty hunters?

Wondered the same thing, but with Urban's character returning hopefully they will explain. And I'm glad they are returning to the horror sci-if roots of Pitch Black.

-b.

I've always preferred Pitch Black to the sequel. Pitch black had a more focused story, and IMO better characterization. The grown-up Jack angle was promising but didn't really play out all that well, and the whole Necromonger thing just wasn't my cup of tea.

Chronicles was fine overall, but Pitch Black is still my favorite of the two.

"Chronicles,,," tried to broaden the scope (and failed), this looks just like "more of the same" - and the first movie wasn't even that good to begin with.

Production standards look like what we get in TV series now, I wonder how much people they hope to lure into the cinemas with this film, especially with all the big screen stuff like "Pacific Rim" and "Ender's Game" around this year.

Thanks Mr. Trailer, you just spoiled what could have been a nice surprise and made this just Pitch Black 2.

Really, I looks fun and all but they could have played a bit just the bounty hunter part and save the horror stuff for a surprise twist.

Right now the trailer kills the suspense of the first part (now I know all who live past that part, for example). Again, not complaining about the movie, but the promotion could have played a little with the different styles Ridick moves in to make this more fun.

I know I'm in the general minority but I liked Chronicles of Riddick.

I liked it too, it was a decent film (not great but decent). The problem was taking a little movie like Pitch Black and trying to turn it into a Tent Pole action adventure franchise movie.

I liked it too, it was a decent film (not great but decent). The problem was taking a little movie like Pitch Black and trying to turn it into a Tent Pole action adventure franchise movie.

It could be done but they tried to do it too quickly. Build in Pitch Black in the 2nd movie. Then put Chronicles 3rd (and probably give it a bit more work).

COR felt like they crammed a whole trilogy into one movie.

Could have been really epic but it just felt flat.

Still, I enjoy watching it and don't mind watching it from time to time.

It could be done but they tried to do it too quickly. Build in Pitch Black in the 2nd movie. Then put Chronicles 3rd (and probably give it a bit more work).

I don't think so, at least not with the movie we got - the background felt so "different" between Pitch Black and Chronicles. It was hard to believe the two movies took place in the same universe. Unlike Alien/Aliens (which did make the leap from Horror to Action).

I don't think so, at least not with the movie we got - the background felt so "different" between Pitch Black and Chronicles. It was hard to believe the two movies took place in the same universe. Unlike Alien/Aliens (which did make the leap from Horror to Action).

Right. That's where a 2nd movie would be important. Build the universe some more in a 2nd movie, then put in a reworked Chronicles that has them jumping all over the place. Expanding the universe is likely going to move it from horror to action. I think they just did a poor job of transition.

I much preferred Chronicles of Riddick to Pitch Black (although I enjoyed it too).

Recently, for curiosity's sake I watched the directors cut / extended version of COR. Don't watch this - this is one of the rare occassions where the general release is better than the extended version.

Whilst I am looking forwards to this, I'm a little concerned it looks too similar to Pitch Black. I just wish they brought back Nick Chinlund's 'Toombs' - his relationship with Riddick was fantastic. I'd be happy to watch a movie focused more tightly on Toombs' ever-shifting band of mercs if he was there! I'm wishing that he comes back in a surprise twist during the new movie - but I won't hold my breath.

• 4 weeks later...

I have really mixed feelings about this - Pitch Black is on my list of favorite sci-fi movies for a number of reasons, but almost all of them make the concept of giving it a sequel at all (yes, I watched chronicles) sketchy at best.

Yes, it was a good horror movie (proving that showing less creates greater impact) but what made it stand out compared to a lot of what was out at the time was that it was character driven - you really didn't know if Riddick was a psychopath or a survivor. Then events changed a part of his character - that kind of well earned payoff doesn't happen much in sci-fi scripts (just his plaintive "not for me, not for me" was light-years beyond characters arching their backs and screaming noooooooo whenever someone dies).

You really can't replicate it either . . . so in the end sequels end up being like sequels to Rambo: first blood. What happened to the PTSD, the question of what war does to a man once he comes home? Oh well, we get to see another beefy action hero try to out bada$$ himself again.

Nonetheless part of me hopes that the creators somehow dig into that creative well that made them dream up that situation to begin with and dream up a new circumstance - maybe Riddick can end up being the cynic with someone who's walking the line between hero and villain, maybe dream up a fall as meaningful as the rise we got from Riddick. I'm hoping, but not terribly optimistic. After all, part of what Pitch Black had in its favor is that no one had any expectations - now expectations are impossible to ignore.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It's been proven that Riddick is not only better than The Chronicles of Riddick, but also Pitch Black.

Rotten Tomatoes Rating: 60% - It may not win the franchise many new converts, but this back-to-basics outing brings Riddick fans more of the brooding sci-fi action they've come to expect.
Metacritic Score: 48 out of 100

Edited by areaseven

Saw this yesterday and enjoyed it. It completely is the setup for Riddick 4 and 5 which are already being planned. Very much Pitch Black 2, but won't stun you the way the first one did as it does feel like familiar ground. I did like the fact that unlike the other films you do get to see Riddick broken down and nearly beaten right from the start, and not just for a moment or two, and as the film progresses you can tell very much that it is leading in to what is next for the franchise. Not epic or amazing scifi but I am glad they got to do a third film and I'm excited that they want to move forward with two more movies to close out the character and the Necromonger storylines.

I saw it only made 19 million over the weekend? That cant be good?

It is very bad, Serenity had a similar budget, grossed 10 million its opening weekend and went on to about double that. I heard that Riddick had a $38 million budget so if the final figure ends up doubling it will gross just about as much as it was budgeted. Which is not good news even with DVD sales and rentals later.