Because "Fitzsimmons" is an actual last name, so it's an attempt at punnery to have an apparently inseparable pair named "Fitz" and "Simmons".

I feel the need to give it a few more episodes, 'cause I like Clark Gregg as Coulson, but it is a little bland so far. It needs something to distinguish it from the pack.

Did you watch "The New adventures of Old Christine" I have only watched a few episodes when I noticed it has Clark (Son of Col) as the EX husband?

Did you watch "The New adventures of Old Christine" I have only watched a few episodes when I noticed it has Clark (Son of Col) as the EX husband?

Never have. I've never been much of a fan of Julia Louis-Dreyfus.

Im still not completely sold on this show. seems like its just a reference party and the putty to just fill the spaces not really providing any substance. Its corny,but not good corny,borderline to cringe worthy. Coulson repeativly saying Taihiti is a magical place,hes probably a robot,LMD or something.

I'm not feeling any chemistry between the characters either. Its entertaining but thats all I feel it has going for it,few people probably just watch it to see who the next cameo is going to be.

I think I'll follow the "4 episode allowance" method, that's a good idea. However, from the first 2 I'm still not feeling it on this show.

The Coulson character seems to be written as the exact opposite of everything that made him charming in the movies. A character like him isn't meant to be a deeply involved leader, or have a huge amount of backstory - the repeated hinting at an old romance with the Peruvian military officer seemed quite forced, and also very much out of character. He's supposed to be the messenger, the guy who follows orders and colors within the lines, but has a little bit of a bumbling quirkiness that makes him endearing. The "Charlie" to the Angels. (Side note - he seemed to look quite a bit different in Episode 2, did his hair style change?)

Fitz/Simmons, I am actually the happiest with. I like their constant argument and banter, and the "nerd" element isn't overplayed. The show needs to provide them with some opportunities to really be useful though, sort of like the lead engineers on the various Star Trek series.

"The Cavalry" seems pretty typical as well, just with an added twist that she hates combat situations, despite having to do so very skillfully every episode. She's like an antithesis to B.A. Baracus (hates fighting, and is quite comfortable flying), but less funny.

Hacker-girl, meh. She's quickly turning into the eye-candy-with-mysterious-motives cliche, and is completely unconvincing as any of the elements she's meant to be - talented computer whiz, activist, or rebel. Two episodes may not be enough to judge yet, and she'll probably get some highlight/focused episodes in the future to try and expand on these elements, but so far she seems completely useless. The attempt in Episode 2 to give her some relevance and relate to the other characters fell pretty flat, and seemed almost like dialogue from a kids' show (the whole "if 100 people can provide 1% of the solution..." speech was particularly annoying).

Enforcer-guy, there's not really a lot to him either. Parkour-guy from Alphas played this role much better.

As for this episode in particular,

I had to LOL at using the life raft to plug the hole in the side of the plane, especially how it didn't even stay sucked into the hole and just sort of flapped like a tent in a light breeze afterward. I can suspend my disbelief for comic book characters using super powers to defy physics in creative ways, but this was just plain silly.

I hate to sound harsh about a show with so much backing, material and talent to draw from, but it really hasn't "wowed" me yet.

The Coulson character seems to be written as the exact opposite of everything that made him charming in the movies. A character like him isn't meant to be a deeply involved leader, or have a huge amount of backstory - the repeated hinting at an old romance with the Peruvian military officer seemed quite forced, and also very much out of character. He's supposed to be the messenger, the guy who follows orders and colors within the lines, but has a little bit of a bumbling quirkiness that makes him endearing. The "Charlie" to the Angels. (Side note - he seemed to look quite a bit different in Episode 2, did his hair style change?)

I'd have to disagree with you a little in your assessment, as regards the "messenger" and "Charlie" comments. From Iron Man 2 to Thor to Avengers, it's clear he leads all the time, from the front, and that people respect and look up to him (Natasha included). The Marvel One-Shots show him to be a kick-ass field agent. Quirky, yes, but I never would characterize him as bumbling. He's steadfast, calm, and assured (except maybe around Steve...). "Charlie" was just a disembodied voice on the phone. Characterizing him as that really is the exact opposite of everything we've seen in all the movies.

This is starting to veer into "man crush" territory... I think I'll quit before it gets odd(er)... :lol:

What's needed in this show is perhaps stories with more heavier referencing or linking to the "big guys" (Capt. America, Thor, Hulk, etc.) of the movies. Maybe even start hinting at what the heroes will encounter in the upcoming movies...

Edited by Vifam7

Yeah, I liked Agent Coulson in the movies, but unfortunately, it would seem that dying turned him a bit touchy-feely, at least for a suit.

Ditto on the kid's-show dialog... I mean, I'm not asking for Shakespeare here (or the Sopranos), but come on... Same for the raft-in-the-hole...

Also, maybe this is just my having worked with UAVs/quadrotors too long, but: toy-looking quadrotors. Having quads isn't inherently bad, but these seriously look like something you buy at Toys R Us. Given that they're in the same world as Stark, the helicarrier, etc, you'd think that they could have tiny Oblivion drones, or anything that doesn't look like what they've got. And an interface that isn't a crime against humanity. A 3-panel folding touchscreen? Which dedicates an entire screen to a picture OF THE AIRCRAFT YOU'RE FLYING?!? -- Of course, the Helicarrier had something similar, so... Maybe that's just being consistent.

Anyway, one more for me, I had planned on doing the 4-episode trial, but at this point, I don't think I can take more than three.

-Luke

IMHO the pace of the show is very Whedon-esq.

The strength of his shows and writing has always been around team building w focus on individuals making the team better, from Buffy and ensemble, Angel, Dollhouse and Firefly/Serenity as examples (hell, even Alien: Reserrection showed this).

I'm not surprised w the slow build-up and the mystery origins and/or motivations and the sluggish pace to setup the biggger picture. That said, will I watch? Sure on DVR, but I don't expect the show to hit its stride until the second half of season 1 or even 2 (assuming it goes that far). Hopefully it does because I like the concept of the TV-verse expanding on, or enhancing the overall movie universe.

-b.

Franklin Hall is of the MCU Bruce Banner Scientist archetype. He knows this type of power is too dangerous for anybody to handle.

He was going to pull the whole self sacrifice thing just to take out Quinn. Though Quinn would've still probably have escaped.

Hall pointed out the Tesseract. The event of the invasion of New York with SHIELD messing with it in the first place made Earth a target in his point of view. Though he does not have all the details like Loki is a jerk or Hydra had it once.

What Coulson did was cold. In saving himself and his team he just created Graviton's Origin Story.

What made this episode great was Franklin Hall being a Well Intentioned Extremist. He has a point that Quinn has to be stopped. As Quinn does not have mentality to be responsible for what he is about to unleash. After New York he puts SHIELD in the same category.

In the post-Avengers world but really it began after Iron Man there is a race for Advanced Technology. Various countries tried mimicking Stark's tech. Then New Mexico happened.The countries backing SHIELD wants a deterrent with Tesseract based weapons.

Loki upped the ante with the invasion. Now everybody wants a piece of Advanced Technology pie. This is where guys like the Rising Tide, Centipede makers (AIM?) and Quinn come in.

They believe in technological progress and they see countries governments and SHIELD as against progress, keeping stuff to their selves. Even that Peruvian commandant in the previous episode sees it that way.

Its not that SHIELD suppresses technological progress but they want it it to be really safe and available to all. Which is the point of Fury helping Tony with the Arc tech and him bringing in Erik Selvig into Project Pegasus.

They don't want tech blowing up on people's faces or bad guys like Hydra possessing them.

Thing is it wasn't just aliens existence was revealed in the Battle of New York but existence of super heroes of different origins. Both Captain America and the Hulk are serum based, Thor is an alien from another dimension, add Tony Stark's technology.

Aliens may have armies but humans with the right tools? They can kick ass. So there is an arms race along with the want of Advance Tech proliferation for the advancement of mankind. Tech which is very dangerous if they are not careful.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest davidwhangchoi

i saw the commercial for tonight's episode, looks interesting. going to air in about 25 min (8 pm EST)

my thought after watching it:

i thought it was decent drama,

i was initially happy that i thought one of the two annoying people were going to die off. then i regretting it a bit when i thought it was really going to happen.

then when it didn't happen i thought at least they were decent at acting... i guess they grew on me today... (if that was the director's intent, mission accomplished :) )

Edited by davidwhangchoi

I binge-watched the episodes a couple of nights back.

Not a horrible series by any stretch. Could be better, but it's entertaining enough.

The dialogue is definitely "Whedon-esque" with its wit and banter.

Regarding this last episode,

I was kinda hoping they'd go through with "killing off" Simmons. Would throw the team for a loop and add some massive depth to the series that doesn't involve any of the "big" mysteries.

Besides, like most comic books, we all know the "death" wouldn't be permanent. ;)

And am I the only one who wanted to smack Fitz upside the head for missing a golden opportunity to get some "action"? :p

So last weeks episode was centered around one of the annoying characters and by the end of it I didn't want her to die. And this weeks episode was about the other annoying character and I also enjoyed it. I have to say that I now like both of them! Good job series.

lol well, I certainly wouldn't mind partaking in that culinary feast, yum!.

Would you like The Cavalry to come too? ;)

For a "mismatched buddy cops" ep, it worked pretty well.

Glad they showed that Fitz got some quick thinking, "able to adapt" smarts.

Lastly, Saffron Burrows looks a lot different than how she was back in Deep Blue Sea.

Edited by Mog

I thought episode 7 was another good one. Good character relationships and now the sub plot with Colson trying to get his records too...

What is Tahiti?

It sounds like where they send agents with serious traumatic injuries. Possible brainwashing, cloning, stem cell treatment... cabin in the woods stuff. Or just an island in the South Pacific where they fill you with alcohol and throw girls with grass skirts all over you to help you forget you were dead from a messy lethal gorging done by a god.

It sounds like where they send agents with serious traumatic injuries. Possible brainwashing, cloning, stem cell treatment... cabin in the woods stuff. Or just an island in the South Pacific where they fill you with alcohol and throw girls with grass skirts all over you to help you forget you were dead from a messy lethal gorging done by a god.

My money is on Life Model Decoys from the comic (and referenced by Stark in Avengers).

-b.

Yeah some people thought that maybe Colson was turning into...

VISION

That would have been a great idea if they hadn't made him the main, or fixed, point in Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. As it seems now the whole premise of the show is how regular humans deal with extraordinary events and threats and

if they make him into a superhero it defeats the purpose

Additionally there's no one on the show that could step into his role as leader and mentor.

But I really would have loved to see him as Vision in an Avengers or Marvel movie.

-b.

Yeah some people thought that maybe Colson was turning into...

VISION

That would have bee beyond cool!!!

yeah. Gonna have to stop watching the show until I watch Thor 2. Way to drive movie sales Disney/Marvel!

Man, Marvel is just on a perfect roll with their marketing!

And now they even have four series directly planned for netflix:

http://marvel.com/news/story/21476/disneys_marvel_and_netflix_join_forces_to_develop_historic_four_series_epic_plus_a_mini-series_event

Wish DC would pull its head out of its gritty ass. I want a Justice League worth a crap.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone catch the last episode?

I'm curious to see how they move on from here.

And I really hope we. . . .

haven't seen the last of Mike Peterson. I understand not wanting to have a super-tank available to bail the team out of every single jam. But it'd be a disservice to the character to wipe him out with one stupid tanker explosion.

Also, what the hell crawled up Agent May's ass? She was a lot bitchier than usual.

So, I stopped watching after the episode with the gravity manipulator technology. Nothing against the show at that point, I just don't have a lot of time for TV. I almost cleared the show from my dvr last night - is it worth giving another chance, now that it's had some time to mature?