Just came from an IMAX 3D viewing and was blown away. I absolutely loved it and probably the best film I've seen in a long time (my taste varies from pure B movie foolishness to, well this).

There were a few parts that I actually moved my head to avoid what was being shown in 3D, the first time that's ever happened.

Was surprised that a couple of people I know, whose opinion I greatly respect didn't like this film at all, but I thought it was amazing.

Now I NEED a 3D TV in anticipation of the Blu-ray release.

-b.

Saw it, loved it, and yes the orbital mechanics issues of the locations are there, but in terms of storytelling they needed to something like that. Earth orbit is not exactly heavily populated with manned facilities after all. Also since this is set along an alternate timeline to our own, maybe those facilities are closer together as a result.

Went and saw this Friday night in IMAX 3D with the GF and was blown away. I normally despise 3D movies and leave with a headache. Not this time! It was VERY entertaining and I found myself dodging fast flying debris a couple of times as well! Highly recommended! Sandra Bullock was excellent, and Clooney was his normal lovable self. GO SEE IT!

• 2 months later...

Finally saw this yesterday... I regret missing it on IMAX 3D because I saw the trailer on one and regular 3D is nowhere near the same, even though I saw a couple seconds of it. But it the first chance I've gotten so I took it. The movie is amazing. If it ever goes back to IMAX I won't miss the chance again, otherwise I'll wait 'til someone gets a 4K 3D screen to watch it again.

I'm thoroughly convinced that showing action sequence in space without sound is the way to go, even if it's a fantasy film. After watching BSG, Firefly and now this, the removal of sound adds to the paranoia and fear of getting hit by bullets/lasers/shrapnels in space. I know I'll never go out there so I can't say how much realism there is, but I think it adds to the imagination.

Finally saw this yesterday... I regret missing it on IMAX 3D because I saw the trailer on one and regular 3D is nowhere near the same, even though I saw a couple seconds of it. But it the first chance I've gotten so I took it. The movie is amazing. If it ever goes back to IMAX I won't miss the chance again, otherwise I'll wait 'til someone gets a 4K 3D screen to watch it again.

I'm thoroughly convinced that showing action sequence in space without sound is the way to go, even if it's a fantasy film. After watching BSG, Firefly and now this, the removal of sound adds to the paranoia and fear of getting hit by bullets/lasers/shrapnels in space. I know I'll never go out there so I can't say how much realism there is, but I think it adds to the imagination.

I saw GRAVITY about 2 weeks ago and completely agree that if it should be released in IMAX 3D, KS City here I come. After watching this the one thought than ran through my mind was how many people on this forum & others had originally said, "Great trailer, but that was probably the best part and the rest will be flashbacks or something like that." Hell no, best E-Ticket ride in years! The absence of sound really adds to the movie!

On a side note about BSG, I remember hearing a Podcast (or Commentary) once where RDM said they had considered using no sound in space for added realism, but in the end decided to go with the muted sound effects.

Edited by 505thAirborne

Yeah, I can't see big studios going for that for fantasy movies. People love their pew pew pews. I finally listened to the Red Letter Media review yesterday and they seem to not like the idea of no sound in space either and thought that it was obnoxious in Firefly. I completely disagree. Watching that space station get pulverized with no sound was mesmerizing.

Yeah, I can't see big studios going for that for fantasy movies. People love their pew pew pews. I finally listened to the Red Letter Media review yesterday and they seem to not like the idea of no sound in space either and thought that it was obnoxious in Firefly. I completely disagree. Watching that space station get pulverized with no sound was mesmerizing.

IMO, space without sound is more terrifying then with. So if the point is to be Scifi and be action and adventure.

Then add sound and have at it. If you want to give the sense of terrifying or real, turn it off.

Hell it was kinda elegant in DYRL when Hikaru and Minmei are floating in front of the window

And there's silence with a huge battle outside. Until the CF comes around to explode. Lol

I don't usually recommend people go to see most films in 3D, but Gravity was an exception. It was a blast in IMAX 3D and is pretty much the benchmark for what 3D should be on the big screen (at least as 3D exists with current technology). I understand most people don't think much of 3D and the studio's only have themselves to blame for souring the public with bad 3D movies and post-conversions to 3D. But in the case of Gravity, if you get the chance, don't miss it on IMAX 3D. An amazing experience.

About sound in space, I would agree that it is a great way to inject more nuance and life into the generally pedestrian science fiction film genre. But remember there can be sound in space, so long as there is a medium (however brief) through which vibration can travel to those able to listen. Astronauts have described how close proximity explosions and accidents in space have created sound within their spacecraft/space stations that they could hear. But more than a compelling dramatic tool, I feel the absence of sound in space can teach a lot of people raised on sci-fi entertainment with sound in space what a vacuum is really like.

Alright fellas, here's your chance to see what you missed...

Gravity Returning to Theatres

The Gravity Blu-ray is expected to land in the next several weeks, but anyone who saw the film in theaters knows that watching it at home just won’t be the same.Alfonso Cuarón takes full advantage of the bigness of cinema to deliver a terrifyingly immersive experience, and his film is best enjoyed at an actual theater — a 3D, IMAX one if at all possible. Fortunately, fans will get the chance to do just that this weekend. Warner Bros. has the film set for re-release this weekend, at more than 900 theaters across the country. That’s a huge bump up from last weekend, when it was playing on just 155 screens.

http://www.slashfilm.com/gravity-returning-to-theaters-this-weekend/

Don't miss it this time!

Edited by Mr March

The nominees for the 86th Academy Awards have been announced, with Gravity in 10 categories:

• Best Picture
  • Best Director: Alfonso Cuarón
  • Best Actress: Sandra Bullock
  • Best Original Score: Steven Price
  • Best Sound Editing
  • Best Sound Mixing
  • Best Production Design
  • Best Cinematography
  • Best Film Editing
  • Best Visual Effects

The film will most likely take home the last six categories.

The nominees for the 86th Academy Awards have been announced, with Gravity in 10 categories:

• Best Picture
  • Best Director: Alfonso Cuarón
  • Best Actress: Sandra Bullock
  • Best Original Score: Steven Price
  • Best Sound Editing
  • Best Sound Mixing
  • Best Production Design
  • Best Cinematography
  • Best Film Editing
  • Best Visual Effects

The film will most likely take home the last six categories.

agree

-b.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

They still make 3D TVs? Thought the market died.

Ha! Honestly a lot of the better performing (specification-wise) HDTV's on the market are 3D.

I've got a 46" Sony XBR2 which is "old" but still looks better than a lot of the sets I see on displays in stores, that said I still have want of a 3D set, especially since there is now enough 3D content for me to justify the purchase.

-b.

Ha! Honestly a lot of the better performing (specification-wise) HDTV's on the market are 3D.

I've got a 46" Sony XBR2 which is "old" but still looks better than a lot of the sets I see on displays in stores, that said I still have want of a 3D set, especially since there is now enough 3D content for me to justify the purchase.

-b.

Google "3D TV sales," and you'll find countless articles on the death of 3D TVs. Content is drying up, not expanding.

I certainly wouldn't encourage anyone to purchase one of the few models left on the market.

Edited by Duke Togo

Google "3D TV sales," and you'll find countless articles on the death of 3D TVs. Content is drying up, not expanding.

I certainly wouldn't encourage anyone to purchase one of the few models left on the market.

That's cool - I don't really need any articles, financial analysis or anything of the like to justify my purchases. Really, it's all about what the content I want and how I want to watch it, call it a want vs. need. But my wallet appreciates you trying to save me some $$$. :)

Additionally, someone is watching 3D at home because at the Best Buy I went to there were few copies of Gravity left with just a few more at a local Target (3D vs. those with 2D and Digital Copy).

-b.