I do think this looks like a very interesting and psycholigically compelling movie, my biggest gripe with it is that they use the space shuttle instead of one of the in development space craft that are to replace it. Maybe that was NASA and the other companies not giving their support if they used the next gen capsules/space busses. That being said why include a US spacecraft all, why not just use the soyuz alone? Also there must be a lot more to the movie than just the disaster and waiting to die as you see Bullock in a US and Russian space suit, plus someone else in some other suit I don't recognize, but that looks more like an old type launch suit.

I guess I don't see what the problem is with it being the shuttle. Maybe there is a time frame for the film that requires it be set during the shuttle era?

"But the only way home may be to go further out into the terrifying expanse of space."

i think this is where film is going to go. What will it be about? Aliens? Religion? Some weird Matrix/Truman Show realization thing?

The effects look spectacular from the trailer.....want to see more.

• 2 months later...

Love all the flopping and flailing about in these suits, you wouldn't think that they were pressurised at all. The real deal is supposed to be much more cumbersome. I'll pass on this. Rather see a film about the real-life orbital hijinks of the Gemini missions, especially the Gemini 8 mission where the thrusters jammed and Neil Armstrong had to try to save the capsule that was spinning uncontrollably. Would make a great film.

Gee, ya think? But ask yourself, why do they ONLY show the disaster part of the movie, is the rest that bad?

No, because I know and love the work of the writer/director. Cuaron is a true talent who doesn't turn out glossed up turds that offend our intelligence.

I am so game for this.

I also didn't notice any sounds that weren't supposed to be there in the second trailer. Everything you hear is either transmitted via radio, or via vibrations through physical contact, like when Explorer gets hit there is a boom that would be heard by anyone in physical contact with the shuttle (ie- Bullock's character).

Funny, this was the first preview to Pacific Rim when I went and saw that film. Seems they ARE going for the Pacific Rim crowd.

They famouslt showed the Phantom Menace trailer before Meet Joe Black. Same audience?

Embarrassing anecdote: I am sitting down to watch Pacific Rim and there's like 20 minutes of BS since I got there earlier than I needed to. Finally it's time to put on my 3D glasses and this is the first preview. There is a nut that explodes off of some device when the stuff starts hitting the fan and I jerked my head to avoid being hit by that nut. My wife was still giggling about it when we left the theater. I like 3D in film, as much as its a gimmick, but I'm always afraid it will be abused. That's sort of the good thing about films that aren't originally intended to be 3D and then are converted. The 3D isn't used in excess. I just watched Oz the Great and Powerful and I felt like it was way over-used there to the point of it being a distraction.

Pacific Rim is the first time I've ever really seen ann immersive 3D movie and that started off with the Gravity trailer. Maybe it's the theaters near me. I saw PR again here and it wasn't the same experience. First time was an IMAX theatre in Canada. It can't be the IMAX screen because I saw a couple of big movies in IMAX 3D. I remember that screw or nut part though. I either have to find a good theater here in L.A. or go back to Canada just to watch Gravity. :lol:

I'm avoiding any more trailers and too much info on this movie because if it is like Deep Water then I probably would want to save all the story for the time I'm watching it.

Yeah the trailer reveals nothing about what the story is about. Let alone an idea of when the accident happens. My impression was about as primordial as it can get...."She's frakked!" Not sure if I'd want to sit for a couple of hours in a theatre to see it, I'll definitely give it a try on bluray.

• 5 weeks later...

Early Buzz: Alfonso Cuarón’s ‘Gravity’ Stuns Critics at Venice

It’s hard to believe that it’s been seven long years since Alfonso Cuarón released his last movie, the dystopian sci-fi Children of Men. But at least he’s made his new film worth the wait, if early Venice Film Festival reviews are anything to go by...

Edited by Duke Togo

He did Children of Men? Ugh. (sorry, both the book and the movie had nothing useful to say - which is a problem since both were trying desperately to say something).

I see we still have no idea of what 90%+ of the movie is about. Sorta like seeing a trailer for "Million Dollar Baby" that consisted of boxing...