Custom DYRL VF-1J GBP-1S Armor

Valkyrie addict

This is a custom DYRL scheme VF-1J with GBP-1S Armor, the only difference is the yellowed tip missiles instead of red and bigger DYRL hands instead of TV clown hands.

It was a fairly easy custom, some slight dissemble required to remove the missiles except for the shoulder pieces that require some careful prying of the missile housing rather than full dissemble which was impossible.

I consider this a lost Yamato milking opportunity, so I hope Arcadia pays attentions if they continue the Macross line, they can still milk a lot of the VF-1 molds to death with this type of extremely easy repaint.

EDIT: LINK TO PHOTOBUCKET ALBUM HERE:

http://s139.photobucket.com/user/cyclosporine/slideshow/Macross/Yamato/VF-1J%20GBP-1S%20DYRL

Also did this small quick custom for the TV Roy with TV FAST packs, painted the reactive missiles tip red instead of yellow as seen on SDFM for a more correct TV look. Don't know why Yamato kept issuing the TV valks with the bucket missile attachment that was never used in SDFM instead of correct colored tipped reactive warheads.

EDIT: LINK TO PHOTOBUCKET ALBUM HERE:

http://s139.photobucket.com/user/cyclosporine/slideshow/Macross/Yamato/SDFM%20VF-1S%20Fix

Hope you guys like and can try doing this for yourself, it's very easy.

Thanks for looking. :p

Edited by Valkyrie addict

Thanks.

The hip missiles in SDFM are in a packet that breaks and the missiles launches, in DYRL it only shows the missile, I toyed with the idea of painting it but it's not the missile itself but the packet and would look weird, You can sort of dissemble that part and one could scratch build a new missile housing with the missile but it's beyond my abilities. Notice that there doesn't seem to be legs missiles in DYRL pic also.

The small change on the reactive warhead really makes the TV Roy look better somehow.

In case anyone is wondering, the DYRL hands I got from MWF member DyNo about 4 years ago, they are recast of the 1/48 VF-1 I think, I was going to use them for the YF-19 but never did and ended up using them here.

This looks really good - I cant help but notice you need to "click" down that right fast pack further into the mounting pegs. Mine was the same way, had put some uncomfortable pressure on it to get it to fit because it was really tight.

except when you find one online, you can't really tell without a comparison pic I guess...
Anyway, nvm, I got my answer. Turned out anymoon did have a comparison pic (never noticed that before). So I guess I'll look out for the number 1 on the chest.

Or wait and pray Arcadia makes one :D

I think looking out for the huge "clip" on its shoulders/ collarbone area would be better since someone might just sell a sticker-ed one. Also the the gerwalk joint at the upper thigh. The V1 is way more pronounced.

There are some other easy identifiers without having to know what the v2 looks like or comparing proportions or markings. The lights(?) on the front of the leg armors are just painted white instead of being clear plastic like on the 1/48 and the 1/60 v2. The leg armors also have a seam line running down the middle of the front. The arm armors have solid black dashed lines molded into the plastic itself that run above the red section whereas the v2 doesn't have any and are done with stickers instead. The shoulder clip on adapter for the shoulder armor for the v1 is 4 sided while the v2 is 5 sided in shape.

There are some other easy identifiers without having to know what the v2 looks like or comparing proportions or markings. The lights(?) on the front of the leg armors are just painted white instead of being clear plastic like on the 1/48 and the 1/60 v2. The leg armors also have a seam line running down the middle of the front. The arm armors have solid black dashed lines molded into the plastic itself that run above the red section whereas the v2 doesn't have any and are done with stickers instead. The shoulder clip on adapter for the shoulder armor for the v1 is 4 sided while the v2 is 5 sided in shape.

Many thanks for the additional tips! Is there a way to tell from the box alone?

Thanks.

The hip missiles in SDFM are in a packet that breaks and the missiles launches, in DYRL it only shows the missile, I toyed with the idea of painting it but it's not the missile itself but the packet and would look weird, You can sort of dissemble that part and one could scratch build a new missile housing with the missile but it's beyond my abilities. Notice that there doesn't seem to be legs missiles in DYRL pic also.

The small change on the reactive warhead really makes the TV Roy look better somehow.

In case anyone is wondering, the DYRL hands I got from MWF member DyNo about 4 years ago, they are recast of the 1/48 VF-1 I think, I was going to use them for the YF-19 but never did and ended up using them here.

Nice custom...very good "first-time" custom to attempt...can you post which paint brand and actual color you selected for the yellow and red...and did you use an airbrush or just regular brushes?

I may want to give this a try and give the old V1 I have a second chance at redemption.... :)

Thanks for sharing!

Edited by jvmacross

Yes, great customs and great photos as well. Any chance you can do a TV Toy with fast packs, but use the darker gray VF-1S? In some scenes of the animation, Roy/Hikaru's Valk always looked dark gray instead of blairing white.

Thanks guys,

Mechinyun, I noticed it after I took the pictures and was putting away everything. :wacko: It's clicked in place now.

jcmacross, since it wasn't a very technical custom, I omited priming and stuff, just got some Krylon spray can for plastic that supposedly adheres better to plastics.

Just mask and spray paint, I did 3 light coats. One more thing I forgot to mention, the reactive warheads are first tampoed red and then yellow on top by Yamato because the middle is red. *facepalm*

Sure I can peter, hope this pictures are ok for you. The combo looks quite good.

TV ROY w/ TV FP

Look at link first post

DYRL ROY w/ DYRL FP

Look at link first post

DYRL ROY w/ TV FP

Look at link first post

Roy hanging out

Look at link first post

Guest davidwhangchoi

Thanks guys,

Mechinyun, I noticed it after I took the pictures and was putting away everything. :wacko: It's clicked in place now.

jcmacross, since it wasn't a very technical custom, I omited priming and stuff, just got some Krylon spray can for plastic that supposedly adheres better to plastics.

Just mask and spray paint, I did 3 light coats. One more thing I forgot to mention, the reactive warheads are first tampoed red and then yellow on top by Yamato because the middle is red. *facepalm*

Sure I can peter, hope this pictures are ok for you. The combo looks quite good.

TV ROY w/ TV FP

DYRL ROY w/ DYRL FP

DYRL ROY w/ TV FP

Roy hanging out

VF-1S-DYRLFP04_zps48b165d4.jpg

damn the tv packs make me jealous!

Edited by davidwhangchoi

quick question, since this is about the armour.. how can we tell which GBP is for the V1 and V2 respectively?

You already got your answer, but I hope this clears things more for you. v1 on the right.

VF-1J-GBP-1S0_zpsbff9932c.jpg

Since there's so much armor....Arcadia, I would pay horribly scalp prices for a 1/60 VF-0S Reactive armor and VF-11C Full Armored

1/72 Hasegawa Reactive Armor, 1/144 TECT VF-11C Full Armor

Armor-amor_zps9c9e5b56.jpg

Did you just take the yellow off with acetone-free nail polish remover?

• 1 month later...

Since there's so much armor....Arcadia, I would pay horribly scalp prices for a 1/60 VF-0S Reactive armor and VF-11C Full Armored

1/72 Hasegawa Reactive Armor, 1/144 TECT VF-11C Full Armor

Oh, you have the TECT kit... Nnnngghh!! So jealous..! :)

Oh, you have the TECT kit... Nnnngghh!! So jealous..! :)

hehehe, I'll give you some old shots of it, I always felt I went a bit overboard with the drybrushing and weathering. :unsure:

EDIT: LINK TO PHOTOBUCKET ALBUM HERE

http://s139.photobucket.com/user/cyclosporine/slideshow/Macross/Models/TECT%20VF-11C%20Full%20Armor

I've heavily though stripping the paint off and redoing a much cleaner paint job and reworking some hinges in preparation to perhaps give this other monster a try

20130623_153130_HDR_zps981886bc.jpg

Just so we stay true to the toys forum, ARCADIA A WANT A 1/60 VF-11C FULL ARMOUR!!!

Nice shots, thanks! As for the darker VF-1S, wasn't there an even darker version from Yammie? It looked really dark.

Edited by peter