F/A-22 Raptor at Langley AFB

I can see why they put the butt-plugs on the F-22.

Last spring here in Paris, the military had a sort of an "open-house" day and had a big show of stuff on the Champ de Mars (the field between the Eiffel Tower and the Military School/Ecole Militaire). They had parked in front of the Military School a Jaguar and Mirage Fighter.

It was cool because they let the public in small groups take a look at the fighters from up close and touch them! They even let us in one at a time to sit in the cockpit under supervision! I got to sit in a Mirage! :D One of the pilots that was hanging around and answering people's questions ran off and managed to convince one of the traffic cops to give him a ticket to put on one of the planes! :lol::lol::lol:

However, there were these little brats that were running around stabbing the plane with sticks and throwing crap into the engine from the rear! :angry: Not cool! :angry:

So with that having happened, I can easily see why they put butt-plugs on! Prevent unintentional (or intentional) foreign objects being put in the engines!

(God! If only I had a camera on me that day! :( And, no, they didn't have the Rafale on display)

As for vectoring--I need close-up, interior, angled shots of an installed, final engine in an actual F/A-22.  No prototypes of any kind.  Most F119 shots are test engines, and in YF-22's.  Nozzles tend to change a LOT before a plane's in service.  And I do not know whether what I'm looking for is actually part of the engine, the vectoring nozzle, or the plane itself.  Most drawings do show that they exist, but not exactly how they work, or if they even do anything other than sit there.  (As in, do they move, rotate, pivot, translate, etc?  All of them, half of them, etc)  And if so--how/when/why?  Vectoring only, counteract yawing action, general nozzle control, afterburner control, etc?

You are right. I've seen a photo of a test protoype with some chevron shaped slots in the nozzle, used to augment the contol of the hot gases, or probably to cool the surface... (I don't have that photo here now, but I guess it was some university lab photo). All those "tiny" details can make a big difference on the operational birds. Anyway, they look great even in the preproduction stage.

Regds,

Gorgon

That's just what I'm talking about--there's a whole bunch of little slots and flaps around the sides of the engine, and I want to know what they do. :) The most intriguing theory is that they can move enough to actually vector the exhaust for yaw, not just "tweak" it. If so, then the F-22 actually has 3-D vectoring, or thereabouts. (Or the oft-said "2.5D") And something like "pssst..it actually has 3D vectoring" could be tried to kept secret for a while... :)

We have the sweetest looking jet fighter! it looks like it's right out of some scifi novel.

I don't know...to me it looks like a stealthy refrigerator. :huh:

nah, it's just a carved brick with engines...

I believe Italeri has an actual F/A-22, 1/48.

Italeri has a 1/48 and a 1/72 F/A-22 model currently out. Testors has a re-packaged Italeri 1/48. Revell-Germany also has a F/A-22 1/48 (supposedly with LANTRIN pods???) and a 1/72 model out. Revell-Monogram has a F/A-22 1/48 coming out (probably the Revell-Germany kit repackaged, the two companies routinely use each other's molds). I believe that Hasegawa is going to have at least one, I'm not sure what scales they will be using.

I still build models, so I keep as current as possible.

If you are not any good at making models you can always purchase the gaincorp 1/72 die-cast F/A-22.

post-26-1071557583_thumb.jpg

...if you can find 'em. I've yet to find a shop that's even heard of Gaincorp, much less carries them. I really need to, as well, because I want one of their Su-34s soooo bad!

I have a feeling David would know a good place to get them, right?

Also, where is a good place to get the Dragon diecasts? My local shop has them, but they only have the stupid tiger meet F-16 and a couple bugs, which I don't want at all.

...if you can find 'em. I've yet to find a shop that's even heard of Gaincorp, much less carries them. I really need to, as well, because I want one of their Su-34s soooo bad!

I have a feeling David would know a good place to get them, right?

Also, where is a good place to get the Dragon diecasts? My local shop has them, but they only have the stupid tiger meet F-16 and a couple bugs, which I don't want at all.

Just out of curiosity if you have not been able to find a store that has Gaincorp planes how did you find out about their products?

I have been collecting die-cast planes for several years, and have everything from 1/100 scale Model Power planes to 1/48 Armour Jets. Just incase anyone needs info about were to go I listed some of the better sites and a bit of info about each one.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.petescollectibles.com/

Line's they carry: 1st Gear, SpecCast, Ertl, Marushin (Japanese WWII), Corgi, Dragon, & Armour

Pete's offers the best e-mail updates of any site on the net. Due to these updates I saw the pre-view pic's of the Dragon Wings BF-109 & F-15E months before they ever hit the net

This offers free shipping for any order of $100 or more.

Pete's Dragon Wings prices vary more than some other sites but their pre-order prices can't be beat. Their Dragon F-16's sale for between $26.50 & 31.95. Most of their Dragon Warbirds sale for $26.50, however you can pre-order the BF-109 for $19.95.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.flyingmule.com/

Line's they carry: Corgi, Dragon, Gaincorp, Matchbox, Model Power, Sun Star AKA Air Command

This is a great site; they carry almost everything, except the Gaincorp F/A-22 unfortunately. However they due normally stock both the Russian & Chinese Air Force Su-27's, as well as the Su-34 & Su-35 for $49.00.

Flying Mule also has great prices on their Dragon Wings 1/72 planes F-16's $24.99-$27.99 FA-18's $34.99 Warbirds (Zero's & P-51's) $24.99

For order of $100 or more shipping is free.

http://www.wingsandwheels.co.uk/

Line's they carry: Air Command, Armour, Corgi, Dragon, Gaincorp, & many more

Wings and Wheels is the only site I know of that has committed to carrying the Gaincorp F/A-22, you can pre-order it for 34.99 pounds, 50.12 Euro or $59.05. Shipping can be high since they are located in England, however they have a great selection and even better custom service.

http://www.aikensairplanes.com

Line's they carry: Air Command, Armour, Corgi, Dragon, & many more

This is the only site I know of that offers pre-order for the new Air Command F-16's (Wild Weasel, Tiger Meet, USN & USMC Top Gun Aggressors, USAF Europe Etc.)

Dragon: F-16 $26.95 & $29.95, F/A-18 $32.95, P-51D $22.95 & $26.95, Zero $24.95 $26.95 & $32.95

http://www.airplane-world.addr.com/

Tristar Airplane World is a great site for not only military planes but they have a wide selection of civil aircraft as well. This is a very well know site and as a result many of their planes are sold out especially the Dragon 1/72's.

Dragon Wing prices: F-16 $26.90-$27.90 F-18 $31.95, Warbirds $22.90-$26.90 Warbird Pre-orders $18.90)

http://www.snafudiecast.com/

Line's they carry: Corgi, Dragon, Model Power, Sun Star AKA Air Command

I have not dealt with this site personally and their prices are usually average, however they do have their Air Command F-16 T-Bird & F-117's on sale for $24.95.

F-22 was "uglified" from the YF-22. YF looks better...

It sounds like the Macross counterparts in Super Nova project... :huh:

(I still think VF-19 is a "funny" design though...)

Btw, VF-19 Kai had this zigzag edged opening (like F-22's weapon bays) in the wing root when it was transforming... I thought it was strange, now I see it's actually a stealthy design :o

FV

Here is the Su-34

Nice diecasts too , thanks for the images .It would be great to have the su-47.

That russian fighters image , I got it at the Airliners.net web site ( great images)

Anyway , any of you know the Xbox game Air force delta storm ?

They have increadible paint jobs on the cg airplanes , specialy the su-47

post-26-1071609283_thumb.jpg

There are a couple kits that have the "Spirit of America" flag art on the nose. Actually, thinking about it I think the only kit that doesn't have it is the Revell-Germany 1/72 and the Italeri 1/72 kits (although it might be an option on those kits)

Nice diecasts too , thanks for the images .It would be great to have the su-47.

That russian fighters image , I got it at the Airliners.net web site ( great images)

Anyway , any of you know the Xbox game Air force delta storm ? 

They have increadible paint jobs on the cg airplanes , specialy the su-47

Only problem is that that would be a S-37, not a Su-47 (look at the tail booms, one is longer that the other). An anorexic S-37 while we're at it :p

Dunno people, the last US fighter I really digged was the F-15. Although the 16 is nice and curvy, it reminds me more of a flying tub than a fighter plane. The F-22 is just chunky.

YF-23, on the other side, was cool. Not a beauty of a plane, but probably the coolest design I've ever seen. Too bad we won't see them up there. <_<

I prefer the stylized elegance of the russian 4th generation fighters. I really think that the Su-27 Zhuravilk (Baby Crane) really stands up to it's name, just a beauty of a plane. Too bad is a weapon. And the Mig-29 isn't too far behind. Chunky, yes, but still elegant.

However, although I dig the Su-47, I must say that the Mig 1.44 dissapointed me on the looks factor. Dunno why. :(

Edited by Lindem Herz

Man that thing is beautiful... *wipes tear*

I knew I should have went into the Air Force.... I would be flying those right now.... DAMMIT. :(

No, I meant only the ventral bay. Inside that, it can hold either 6 AMRAAMs, or 2 1,000lb JDAMs, or 2 500lb JDAMs and 2 AMRAAMS.

Since the F-22's stealthiness w/external ordnance is on par with that of a UPS truck, most people only talk about the internal carriage. And 2,000lbs are surely not going to fit. It was designed to hold AMRAAM's, nothing else. They BARELY got the smaller JDAM's to fit, so they could call it an F/A-22 instead of an F-22.

If you want to count external ordnance, the thing could carry practically anything you want. It's bigger than an F-15E.

According to Globalsecurity.org there's enough room for both the 1,000 lb JDAM and an AMRAAM in each bay. And there's also the Small Diameter Bombs to consider too, the main bay can hold eight.

1,000lb and an AMRAAM? Hmmn. Globalsecurity *is* very good, and I generally don't question their stats.

But F-22raptor.com is pretty good too. Quite a conundrum eh?