We've all discussed Arcadia and 1/60's... How about the 1/48s?

Gakken85

I don't know what you guys are talking about as far as the 1/48's prices going up during TGPB2013

I snagged a Low Viz 2, Angel Birds, and a TV cannon Fodder for 100$ ea.

plus you can still find retail Stealth's, Max's and Miriya's on Japanese retail sites.

Hell I saw a VF-1S V2 go for 70$ on one of the Japanese proxy sites.

I don't know what you guys are talking about as far as the 1/48's prices going up during TGPB2013

I snagged a Low Viz 2, Angel Birds, and a TV cannon Fodder for 100$ ea.

plus you can still find retail Stealth's, Max's and Miriya's on Japanese retail sites.

Hell I saw a VF-1S V2 go for 70$ on one of the Japanese proxy sites.

Can you please give me a pointer where to find them?

I love the 1/48s purely for the size of it. I'm still trying to get my hands on any reasonably priced 1/48 i can get and just want to grow that collection. I currently have 25 1/48s and probably wont stop there if I have a choice :)

I want a 1/48 Elintseeker. The mother of all the detail. The only problem I see with the 1/48 is that some time it feels like a cheap constructed toy compared to the new V.2. I mean I just opened a set of M&M 1/48 and then handled some V.2. to makes some space and you can feel the difference.

Perhaps I'll have to pick up some V2's in the future. My 1/60's are a 1A Max, VE-1, and VT-1 and the Max was really more just to buy something besides some 1/55's while I was in Japan back in 2002.

Sadly, with limited funds and multiple things on my list, a 1/60 is pretty low right now. Still, I do prefer the size of the 1/48 to the 1/60.

Hi everyone.

1/48 is THE scale for the VF-1. The Valkyrie itself is too small for a 1/60...

I know that the V2 1/60 VF-1 is a great model, but even so, the 1/48 "v1.5" is better.

I have a VF-1S Hikaru DYRL. The latest version, and it´s amazing. I can´t see the problems with the pylons, or the lenght of the nose. It´s an imposing plane, a menacing gerwalk and a BIG battroid.

Side by side to my VF-22s 1/60 and the VF-19Kai 1/60, it´s about the same size. And It´s wonderful. A 1/60 VF-1S just doesn´t fit. At least not the naked versions. The v2 ElintSeeker is amazing in 1/60, but it cost a fortune....

1/48 FTW. At least for the VF-1.

And... of course Arcadia is NOT going to continue the trend. Maybe in a few years... but I can´t see them to redo the molds in the short term...

pd. As always, excuse me for my caveman english...

I really can't see how people can prefer the actual sculpt of 1/48 over the 1/60 v2. There's so much stuff that just looks clunky and terrible on the 1/48 compared the 1/60.

The 1/48 is a very good looking Valkyrie. I can't understand why people think it looks like crap. It's fighter mode is great. It has a lot of gimmicks and battroid mode is imposing. The 1/60 is the next step in evolution of design, but I wouldn't say it makes the 1/48 ugly. For those of us collecting it was the best thing in the early 2000's. before that there was bandai toynami and v1 1/60's.

I really can't see how people can prefer the actual sculpt of 1/48 over the 1/60 v2. There's so much stuff that just looks clunky and terrible on the 1/48 compared the 1/60.

I don´t agree at all. The 1/60 v2 is great, of course, but it´s great because the V1 is plain bad. Not because is BETTER than the 1/48...

If the 1/60 had a different leg clamp (like the upcoming 1/72 bandai) we could agree, but it´s the same as the 1/48, but smaller... To look like a "complete" Valkyrie you have to add pieces of plastic... I´m sorry, but it´s not that great, for me at least.

If I may ask, do you have a 1/48 ? wich one? ...

Edited by Astro_BS-AS

Hi everyone.

1/48 is THE scale for the VF-1. The Valkyrie itself is too small for a 1/60...

I know that the V2 1/60 VF-1 is a great model, but even so, the 1/48 "v1.5" is better.

I have a VF-1S Hikaru DYRL. The latest version, and it´s amazing. I can´t see the problems with the pylons, or the lenght of the nose. It´s an imposing plane, a menacing gerwalk and a BIG battroid.

Side by side to my VF-22s 1/60 and the VF-19Kai 1/60, it´s about the same size. And It´s wonderful. A 1/60 VF-1S just doesn´t fit. At least not the naked versions. The v2 ElintSeeker is amazing in 1/60, but it cost a fortune....

1/48 FTW. At least for the VF-1.

And... of course Arcadia is NOT going to continue the trend. Maybe in a few years... but I can´t see them to redo the molds in the short term...

pd. As always, excuse me for my caveman english...

Well, this is the reason that Yamato took the measure to make their toys in 1/60 scale. :rolleyes: The VF-1 is a lot smaller in the anime to begin with when we compare it with the VF-22.

The VF-22 will be huge and expensive if they continued their line in 1/48 scale.

Well, this is the reason that Yamato took the measure to make their toys in 1/60 scale. :rolleyes: The VF-1 is a lot smaller in the anime to begin with when we compare it with the VF-22.

The VF-22 will be huge and expensive if they continued their line in 1/48 scale.

You´re totally right. In 1/48 It would be more than 40 cm in lenght.... More than the 1/60 SV-51 wich is huge...

The 1/60 for the newest (and bigger in "real anime life") are a nice scale.

But I insist... not so much for the little VF-1 :)

If the VF-0 is based on the F-14, the VF-1 is based on the Panavia Tornado... (for size comparisson)

Edited by Astro_BS-AS

I agree. The 1/60 is too small.

I think it just whimpy and slim in battroid.

The size of the VF-0 is just about perfect, as its right between 1/48 and 1/60, though it's technically a 1/60.

Size still matters. I much prefer the 1/48 size. A V2 1/48 would be great.

Size still matters. I much prefer the 1/48 size. A V2 1/48 would be great.

Agreed, but sadly I dont think we will see any more 1/48's. Better buy up some extra and make customs out them while they can still be found? Any of you 1/60 lovers wanna sell your 1/48's ? :p

Agreed, but sadly I dont think we will see any more 1/48's. Better buy up some extra and make customs out them while they can still be found? Any of you 1/60 lovers wanna sell your 1/48's ? :p

This is what I'm afraid of. I'm not quite in the market yet due to budget, sadly, so I'll have to wait and hope for the best for now.

If Arcadia does come around to making Valks again, perhaps we'll eventually get lucky. That's not a bet I'd really want to make, though.

If I may ask, do you have a 1/48 ? wich one? ...

I've got a 1A cannon fodder and a 1J stealth. My thing with the 1/48 is that I find the actual proportions and sculpt of the 1/48 to be inferior to the 1/60 v2. The chest plate on the 1/48 is too broad and flat in battroid mode, and in fighter mode it's too angular. The forward fusulage/nosecone is too long and hangs low in battroid mode and has an overly broad, goofy looking canopy in fighter mode (BTW, even years before the 1/60 v2 came out my cheif gripe with the 1/48 was not liking the canopy in fighter mode). On the arms there's the obliviously inferior articulated and fixed pose hands; but I also dislike the long, thin biceps compared to the 1/60 and then there's the low hanging shoulders that kill the fighter mode from the bottom.

My biggest complaint of all when comparing the two is the legs. I absolutely can't stand the legs on the 1/48 compared to the 1/60 v2. They legs on the 1/48 are chunky and blocky where as the 1/60 v2 has the roundness and curvature that really captures the way the design looked in the lineart.

Sorry dudes. Unless Arcadia or a new company makes new molds, the 1/48s are out of the picture.

Of course. We're still in wait-and-see mode with Arcadia as they don't appear to be in a rush to get info out.

As for others? I'm not sure how likely that would be, honestly. If anyone else did end up making them, it would probably be through buying the Yamato molds. I'm not so sure a company would create their own VF-1 1/48 molds. A fan could possibly do it but the likelihood of that happening and a company picking it up for mass production seems more of a pipe dream.

So back to searching the intertubes I go. Hoping I end up with a nice massive chunk of money while simultaneously finding some great deals on 1/48's ;)

My thing with the 1/48 is that I find the actual proportions and sculpt of the 1/48 to be inferior to the 1/60 v2. The chest plate on the 1/48 is too broad and flat in battroid mode, and in fighter mode it's too angular. The forward fusulage/nosecone is too long and hangs low in battroid mode and has an overly broad, goofy looking canopy in fighter mode (BTW, even years before the 1/60 v2 came out my cheif gripe with the 1/48 was not liking the canopy in fighter mode). On the arms there's the obliviously inferior articulated and fixed pose hands; but I also dislike the long, thin biceps compared to the 1/60 and then there's the low hanging shoulders that kill the fighter mode from the bottom.

My biggest complaint of all when comparing the two is the legs. I absolutely can't stand the legs on the 1/48 compared to the 1/60 v2. They legs on the 1/48 are chunky and blocky where as the 1/60 v2 has the roundness and curvature that really captures the way the design looked in the lineart.

You've described the same issues I have with the 1/48 VF-1 mold. The 1/60 v2 is superior in every aspect.

You've described the same issues I have with the 1/48 VF-1 mold. The 1/60 v2 is superior in every aspect.

But what's with that priest collar of the 1/60 VF-1s? :D

*adds fuel to the fire*

But what's with that priest collar of the 1/60 VF-1s? :D

*adds fuel to the fire*

Even though it's not accurate, I do think it complements the silhouette overall since it gets the head sitting higher up which gives the battroid mode a more natural humanoid appearance instead of making it look like it's hunching.