Help with Alaska Base Custom 1:60 Ver.2

derex3592

OK..so I've decided to try to keep this VERY simple and just airbrush green over the light tan on a brand new Kaki TV version I got a few days ago. My question is to all you smart guys around here.

is there a way to disassemble the Valk to make the painting easier??? (or has anybody tried this around here?, I know people have taken apart the arms enough to get to the bad pins)...Or is it just better to try to mask it all and hope for the best????

Thanks for the help!

Even disassemble is a masking pain in the ass.

There are a lot of pins that you must be careful not to loose if you completely disassemble, some parts are glued, mostly on the legs but can be pried apart carefully.

I would rather mask with the assembled toy. But you can take apart the main fuselage for easier access and masking.

You can take apart most of the valk without unscrewing. The leg pops off from the hip. The fuselage comes away from the cockpit area and the shoulder can be slipped off the arm, you just have to gently pry the notches. Of course the head comes off. You'll only need to unscrew the elbow to take the lower arm off. From there you should be able to mask everything else for such an easy scheme.

You must open bay where the hands tuck inside and try to pry the forearm apart, it is a very tight fit, I don't know if it's glued or not, only way to get access to the elbow, if you manage to pry the forearm apart give the elbow a little sanding to prevent it from rubbing the extra paint layer you will add.

If you can't pry it apart, there's plenty of space to let the masking tape between the elbow and forearm.

Oh, the leg fins pull out as well, they're only held in by a thin ridge. That'll make the leg a bit easier to mask.

I think one time I did take apart one of my VF-1's legs, but they are glued at certain points, so you have to find a careful way to pry them apart.

Well as usual I've decided to do more than I planned...filling screw holes in the legs with putty...and I'm sorry, but rant mode on...I HATE tamiya putty. It is horrible in my opinion. Cheap spackling is so much nicer to work with. That is all.

post-11393-0-56299000-1367678233_thumb.jpg

Well here's the results..... Still bit of cleanup to do on the legs and gotta spray the knees and the top of the legs but other than....Im calling it a win so far!!!! In case you're wondering, it's Model Master Medium Green enamel.

post-11393-0-36396100-1367776699_thumb.jpg

and.....DONE! I think it turned out good! And no ..I didn't go back and try to repaint the rear fins like Valk Addict did! I figured get out while I was ahead! All panel lines done and each and every single sticker trimmed, and gun strap/ anniversary parts added.

post-11393-0-32053400-1368406388_thumb.jpg

post-11393-0-71494000-1368406411_thumb.jpg

post-11393-0-85966800-1368406436_thumb.jpg

post-11393-0-04335600-1368406456_thumb.jpg

post-11393-0-57541900-1368406500_thumb.jpg

post-11393-0-33069400-1368406528_thumb.jpg

post-11393-0-68310900-1368406583_thumb.jpg

Congrats on a fine job!

BTW...what kind of tape do you need to use in order to keep the paint from seeping into the areas you want to keep it out of?...Is it some special hobby tape or something you can pickup at a HomeDepot or hardware store???

Edited by jvmacross

• 3 weeks later...