Macross Fanracer 3D CGI

zpaolo

Hello all,

I'm an old time Macross fan and I used to do Macross related CGI work in the past, my latest project is building a 3D CAD model of the Macross Fanracer (or Fan Racer) Hikaru pilots at the beginning of the Macross TV show. I did some changes to modernize the shape a bit, and I'm planning to add more details soon... You can find other works on my deviantart page http://zpaolo.deviantart.com

macross_fanracer___titanium__by_zpaolo-d

Paolo

Well, this is pretty damned amazing. I went to your DeviantArt page and saved all the variants. Very impressive work. It's really nice to see high quality models of some of the underdog mechanical designs from Macross. THanks for posting.

Thank you all for your comments and support. I'm starting to study the design of the two seats Fanliner, it's not easy since there's only an official side view (no top view) but I have linearts and the frames from the TV show to help me :D By the way, I'm going on with the Fanracer and here is the latest pic, I hope you like it!

macross_fanracer___sunset_by_zpaolo-d63h

I'd love to see you create a Fan Liner. Sadly, I have no other line art of the Fan Liner than what is already on my website. As part of my next update, I do have a much higher resolution scan of the old line art with much truer colors. I suppose it won't hurt my next website update too much if I post it now in the hopes it helps inspire you to create another amazing CG model for us all to enjoy :)

post-114-0-88097200-1367272514_thumb.gif

I'd love to see you create a Fan Liner. Sadly, I have no other line art of the Fan Liner than what is already on my website. As part of my next update, I do have a much higher resolution scan of the old line art with much truer colors. I suppose it won't hurt my next website update too much if I post it now in the hopes it helps inspire you to create another amazing CG model for us all to enjoy :)

YES,

That is the sexy beast I was referring to... :D

EXO thank you I already have the pictures of that model, they were a great source of inspiration for the Fanracer (they gave me the idea to build a more "fluid" surface), too bad there are not bigger pictures around

O' Dimes thanks for the lineart, it's very inspiring, love the color work. I'm putting all the info together in Illustrator because this time I don't want to start modeling unless I'm more than sure of how the various part will fit together (the Fanracer was a mess in that respect, because each picture looks different and the front/side/top view didn't match :D )

Paolo

Zinji

I am indeed. And I create quality coloring as well :)

zpaolo

Look on the bright side, no one else has built a CG Fan Liner (at least to my knowledge). So I doubt anyone will be able to argue with you if you fudge some dimensions here and there to make it all work :)

O'Dimes I just put together a mockup model of the Fanliner, using the revised linearts I drew in illustrator... I think sometimes the wings look too wide, but in other shots they are just good. Also in the anime wing size seems to "adapt" to the angle of view ;D Maybe I'll narrow them a tiny bit, what do you guys think? (consider it's a very rough model, just to check proportions)

Paolo

post-20014-0-64095300-1367339138_thumb.jpg

CoreyD yes they look too wide from end to end with that reference, but if you use the (admittedly very small) top views or front views from the anime they are almost right, and they look good if compared to the lineart when the fanliner is seen from behind. By the way I'll shrink them a little bit, just in case :)

I think you nailed it the first time out. Not worried about the wings, they are dramaticlaly distorted in almost every piece of line art, much like the VF-1. I think it's perfect and I'd lean toward larger wings as more realistic.

Just a teaser, I'm going on with the Fanliner, proportions are quite ok, starting to work on the fuselage and canopy, already developed a surfacing idea for the wings and body of the plane... and a teaser of a future Fanracer rendering...

post-20014-0-62769000-1367690596_thumb.jpg

post-20014-0-41429400-1367690598_thumb.jpg

post-20014-0-98707000-1367690599_thumb.jpg

post-20014-0-82636100-1367690655_thumb.png