Yamato 1/60 VF-1 Kit Custom/Detailing by Kye

kyekye

Which one will this be in the end?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. I have some more time to decide if this will be VF-1S Focker Strike or VF-1S Hikaru Strike before mid-painting/decal pass. Please help me choose one!

• VF-1S Focker Strike Pack DYRL
    • VF-1S Hikaru Strike Pack DYRL

Each post is more stunning than the previous!

Are you planning to improvethe hip articulation too? I remember that build on Yamato's blog that use a custom Wave ball joint I think which could slide out of the hip part much like the Hi-Metal VF-1 to allow more poses.

Also have you considered plastic coloring using with Rit dye and acetone if you go for the black heatshield? Maybe you could try it with a piece of sprue in order to get the right amount of acetone for the dye to stick

Added description on the last pics..

so, any plans to redo the foot all together to added the suspension gimmick?

There supposed to be suspension!!?? Only if I knew... :p

Holy crap! Metal parts?

It's out of control folk!

Don't worry! It's totally under control!!! (I hope..)

Each post is more stunning than the previous!

Are you planning to improvethe hip articulation too? I remember that build on Yamato's blog that use a custom Wave ball joint I think which could slide out of the hip part much like the Hi-Metal VF-1 to allow more poses.
Also have you considered plastic coloring using with Rit dye and acetone if you go for the black heatshield? Maybe you could try it with a piece of sprue in order to get the right amount of acetone for the dye to stick

For hip extension, I'll have to look into it. I wasn't planning on it, but sounds do-able. For the cover part, I'll Probably just make a colored resin/plastic copy instead of tinting. That sounds more solid. I might use tinting techniques for something else.

THAT would be pure epicness!

I'll fly to japan just to see that if that happens. You know they have full scale vf-25 cockpit/torso in exhibition

Edited by kyekye

Waiting for the weekly update ;-)

And wondering which scheme I'd like best to see: Hikaru's or Focker's?...

Actually I love Focker's but though he's the best pilot ever and blablablah, I think Hikaru's scheme would do better with your modifications (I dont really like Hikaru)- it's a matter of mech's final aspect, not wich pilot we love best.

Maybe a third scheme would do the job?

Someone talked about a low-vis and I'm close to thinking it could be a good idea after all.

Or an original skin, you have the talent for that ;)

Waiting for the weekly update ;-)

And wondering which scheme I'd like best to see: Hikaru's or Focker's?...

Actually I love Focker's but though he's the best pilot ever and blablablah, I think Hikaru's scheme would do better with your modifications (I dont really like Hikaru)- it's a matter of mech's final aspect, not wich pilot we love best.

Maybe a third scheme would do the job?

Someone talked about a low-vis and I'm close to thinking it could be a good idea after all.

Or an original skin, you have the talent for that ;)

I love Low-Vis scheme, but it's better for 1J. I think I'll save it for the 2nd one. Maybe I can add some design twist also for that one. :ph34r:

Another slow week thanks to some family events..

Original plan was to use 'Hobby Base' Hands, but I realized that VF-1s have 2 joint fingers...

So I tried to make 2 Joint fingers version... FAILED!! Just too small for hand-made parts. It worked, but didn't look nice.

So.. I gave up and went back to 'Hobby Base' Hands. I'll just paint the middle joint black and pretend it's 2 jointed.. :ph34r:

Also, extended the lower arm parts for better proportion in Battroid mode.

9141081729_4f63f6e266_o.jpg

Quick Assembly test of lower arm (WIP) and comparison shot with the original (with broken shoulder hinge..)

9141081651_fa682029ee_o.jpg

Made 1 more shoulder hinge set to repair other one (pictured above...)

And made a quick and dirty coating test subject with old Hasegawa parts and tried Duracoat. This is 2 layer thin coat, and it looks like it will hold up pretty well.

Went through Scratch test, Parts friction test..etc. All seems pretty good. Even decals were holding up well under the coat. I still would not use this over large decal area.

Only thing didn't pass was bend test. After all, it's a thin layer of clear resin. It didn't fall apart, but I heard some cracking noise.

I think it's much much better than Acrylic coat (such as Mr. Hobby or Tamiya coat) I will do more testing as I go.

9141081563_02cceef3dd_o.jpg

I really like the way you recasted the arms, it looks more like "Macross-of-my-childhood", I just hope that their being bigger won't interfere with transformation especially in fighter mode when the gun is locked between them and the landing gears are outside.

The overall is heading to a masterpiece that one could stare at for hours, inspecting every detail :wub:

Edited by Loute

WOW! the chubby forearm looks great now but how will you solve the clearing of it for fighter mode? the gunpod will hang very low.

Too bad the hands didn't work, brilliant what you did.

Are those 1/100 hobby base hands?

From previews experience, the parts that will get the most friction during transformation that chip clear coat or paint are, the outer shoulders, medial forearms (they rub when you tuck them into fighter mode), the inner shoulders with the outer shoulder, the forward swivel point between the intake and thigh for gerwalk, the inner canopy shields rubs with the canopy, and elbow with the forearm clearance.

Edited by Valkyrie addict

I really like the way you recasted the arms, it looks more like "Macross-of-my-childhood", I just hope that their being bigger won't interfere with transformation especially in fighter mode when the gun is locked between them and the landing gears are outside.

The overall is heading to a masterpiece that one could stare at for hours, inspecting every detail :wub:

I checked the clearance before making the modification, so it's safe ^_^

I'm also gonna add magnets for Gun-pod attachment - both on Arms and Hands so that I can just attach/detach it in Fighter mode.

i'm still on on the "holy crap! metal parts!?" thing. Are those laser sintered or are they shapeways 3d printed?

Laser!!?? 3D printed!!!??? What age are you living in!!! Such nonsense!!! They are all hand-cut/screwed!!

Seriously, I'm planning to get a Formlabs 3D printer soon (after my moving). Things will be very different once I get it.

Amazing...you are creating a truly masterpiece!!!

Amazing...you are creating a truly masterpiece!!!

Thank you. Trying my best.

Do you plan to make the rotating seat for Battroid mode?

. :o ...you are joking..right..? That cockpit then needs whole different control HUD!!!

WOW! the chubby forearm looks great now but how will you solve the clearing of it for fighter mode? the gunpod will hang very low.

Too bad the hands didn't work, brilliant what you did.

Are those 1/100 hobby base hands?

From previews experience, the parts that will get the most friction during transformation that chip clear coat or paint are, the outer shoulders, medial forearms (they rub when you tuck them into fighter mode), the inner shoulders with the outer shoulder, the forward swivel point between the intake and thigh for gerwalk, the inner canopy shields rubs with the canopy, and elbow with the forearm clearance.

Clearance is good for landing gear/gun-pod. No worries.

Yeah. I spent half day working on the 2 joint fingers.. Now I have 1/6 Freddy krueger Hands :lol:

Yup. That's a modified 1/100 hobby base (hard-edge version)

Thanks for the tip. I saw a couple of different thread about it as well. I'll be extra careful with those areas. I'll apply extra layers resin coating, or sand it down to lessen the friction, or use metal sheets.

It seems like clear resin coating will do the job for the most parts.

[...]

I'm also gonna add magnets for Gun-pod attachment - both on Arms and Hands so that I can just attach/detach it in Fighter mode.

Guys, we're losing him! ;)

speechless!

Thanks!

Te lo escribo en castellano por que es alucinante!!!! simplemente asombroso, a mi no me daria la vida para hacer algo asi te envidio.

I'll write in spanish that is amazing!! simply amazing, I would give my life to do something so I envy you. :hail:

Thank you for nice comments!

Guys, we're losing him! ;)

Oh not just yet!

I achieved put the seat vertical in the 1/60 but without articulation removing parts

I see... removing parts....That's not 'perfect' transformation then!! :lol:

It's nice idea, but you won't see it when it's covered by heat-shield..

For the cockpit area, only thing left for me is adding some PE parts and finishing the canopy.

Oh, By the way.. no update this weekend. I'll be on a family trip..

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry guys. I've been busy with work crunch..

Another bad news is that I'm preparing for moving to Northern California. Boxing up stuff these days.

I still might be able to do a mini update this weekend.

• 2 months later...

I packed up all my stuff and my house is on sale now.

Not many buyers these days, so I might have to delay my moving and get back to my VF-1 custom over the winter..

This is what used to be my man-cave....Now all clean and dandy. (Someone.. please buy my house.. T_T;;)

10303139585_00c783beee.jpg

where up here? Would love to do a pilgrimage to see your work.

Somewhere between Redwood City and San Jose, I think.

It's freakin' expensive over there! I need to sell off my house first before moving thou..

Kyekye, we'll be neighbors! I'm shopping in that same stretch and just north of it. I currently live in Redwood City. The good news for shopping in this neighborhood is... well no, there's no good news at all. All the dotcom millionaires have made affording things very hard.

Small world! I was born in Santa Rosa, lived in redwood city when I was a little kid, then San Mateo, then further up north to Cloverdale.

You never know where you'll end up!

Love your work Kyekye! Hope the move goes smoothly and you're back into this impressive build soon. I'm sure you could use a break from the stress. ;)

Kyekye, we'll be neighbors! I'm shopping in that same stretch and just north of it. I currently live in Redwood City. The good news for shopping in this neighborhood is... well no, there's no good news at all. All the dotcom millionaires have made affording things very hard.

• 2 weeks later...

I packed up all my stuff and my house is on sale now.

Not many buyers these days, so I might have to delay my moving and get back to my VF-1 custom over the winter..

This is what used to be my man-cave....Now all clean and dandy. (Someone.. please buy my house.. T_T; ;)

10303139585_00c783beee.jpg

Somewhere between Redwood City and San Jose, I think.

It's freakin' expensive over there! I need to sell off my house first before moving thou..

THAT's your man cave? Holy cow! Mine, if you can call it a cave, can just fit a workbench and my tool boxes.

Great work btw.